Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2014 1:07:30 AM EDT
The last NRA match in the state was Nov 2nd and nothing is posted to the NRA or CMP sites for next year.  What do you guys do in the off season?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Pig Hunt!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Move to FL
No off season

If you can buy Electronic Trainer
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoot indoor smallbore matches and my Daisy 853 in the basement.  There's also a Winter reduced course HP league locally but my fingers and the cold don't get along well.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Hoard.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, at least visit FL. We have a huge match in March called the Orange Blossom Regional.  XTC, Prone, F-Class, and all types of team events. A Leg match too.  Last year the All Guard came down and put on clinics.

And even earlier, we have the State Championsip XTC weekend coming up on December 5, 6, and 7 with a leg match on the seventh. Still plenty of room left...
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, at least visit FL. We have a huge match in March called the Orange Blossom Regional.  XTC, Prone, F-Class, and all types of team events. A Leg match too.  Last year the All Guard came down and put on clinics.

And even earlier, we have the State Championsip XTC weekend coming up on December 5, 6, and 7 with a leg match on the seventh. Still plenty of room left...
View Quote

Sir, +1 on that!  Although I haven't been there in a few years I do recall shooting some matches at the Port Malabar Gun Club.  IIRC, one was called a snowbird match or some such.  I've shot other matches there, as I recall Brad Southerland called the festivities.  I also shot another 300yd course at another club in the vicinity but I don't recall the name of the club.  I used to have a time share in Kissimmee and went every year.  

In answer to the OP's question I shoot local reduced course matches once a month and we have team practices at Quantico occasionally.  I also practice offhand in my garage with an air rifle.  7zero1 out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Prep brass, reload, and dry fire.

I shoot pistol, air rifle, and air pistol too.

Read and recharge.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
smoke cigars and sip bourbon
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two more matches to shoot this weekend at Butner and that will wrap it up for me this year. In the off season, I usually hunt and piddle around in the man cave cleaning and processing brass. This year I'm adding some indoor IDPA shooting and guitar practice to the routine. Also, I'll be looking to stock back up on components.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
We shoot the Frozen Nutz matches at So Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow (Hammonton) on the 3rd Sunday from November thru March
in all weather (exc a 2 foot deep snow the night before)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_14/233961_Frozen_Nutz__300yd_Prone__Matches_at_SoJersey_Shooting_Club.html
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#11]
There is still a Snowbird all prone and fclass match right around Christmas.  The Snowbird and Orange Blossom used to run back to back.  Nowadays the OBR is one of my don't miss matches.  Of course, it helps that it is two hours away.  Brad still runs it.

The only 300 yard matches I know of are at Orlando, the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club. That program is still going strong as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Hunt. Reload. Continue to shoot.

Why does no one in the CMP community seem to want to shoot when it gets below 70° outside? I can see wanting to hunt rather than shoot matches, but I'd also much rather shoot when it's 45° or 50° outside than 90° and 90% RH and I'm swimming in sweat inside my shooting coat!

Besides, cold barrels erode slower!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Gaylord, MI has a CMP Garand match typically the first weekend of the year.  Haven't been there in a few years, but the last time I went, it had warmed up to -8 by the start of the match.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Reduced course HP, bullseye pistol, reloading/firearm maintenance, restock supplies.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:29:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Every Wednesday night our club shoots indoor 4 position .22 long rifle on the indoor 50 foot range.  I use a .22 LR dedicated upper on my AR-15 that is set up as an exact clone of my high power service rifle AR-15.  I usually substitute an additional offhand stage instead of kneeling.  My high power offhand scores have gone way up since starting this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Texas has an off season?  Shooting a full course match tomorrow, and aside from the wind it's going to be pretty nice weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top