Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 11:05:07 PM EDT
I am excited to try a CMP match, but after trying out the prone position with an A2 style rifle, I'm not sure how I am supposed to single load. Is there something I am missing?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep the rounds either in a small plastic case or just loose on my mat. Grab one, drop it in the ejection port, hit bad lever. Sometime i cant the rifle to about 11 oclock to make it easier to drop the cartridge in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Southpaw service rifle shooter here:

In the prone position, I'll dismount the rifle and position it so the butt is near my ribcage and the muzzle elevated.  That makes the ejection port accessible to where I can grab a round and easily insert it.  I'll elevate the butt to let the round slip into the chamber, shoulder the gun, then release the bolt with my left trigger finger.  Taking the gun out of the shoulder to load is a pain as it forces me to rebuild my position each time.

I have seen lefties that can keep the gun in their shoulder and reach OVER the gun to load, but that seems like too much trouble for me.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...Grab one, drop it in the ejection port, hit bad lever.
View Quote

If you're shooting sanctioned CMP matches then the MAGPUL BAD lever is not permitted on service rifles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think about it that much.  I pick up a round with my left hand (ammo located just to the left of the rifle and in front of my hand), reach over the rifle and slide it into the port.  I have my  ammo in a 100 round box (ten rounds to a row!) so when I pick up a round I'm picking it up by the base/rim.  I installed an alum. piece (replaces the follower)  in my single round mag. that lines up the round just right.  Hit the bolt button and I'm ready to get back into position.  Note: right hand stays on forearm in position and butt stays in shoulder.   Bang.  Another 7, or 6, or 5.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Cant to 11. That's how my dad does it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I reach over the top with my left hand.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The follower I spoke of above is similar to the Sinclair AR Single Shot Follower.  $17.99 in their catalog.  I crunched a few cases before I started using mine; I can't remember a crunched case after I started using it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies. I actually tried it at the range and it is not too terrible to rebuild the position each time. I'm pretty fast at getting NPOA back where it should be.

Next range trip I will try putting it in from over the carry handle, but some more tuning is needed to smooth out the action before I trust it to always go into battery after hitting the bolt release.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The follower I spoke of above is similar to the Sinclair AR Single Shot Follower.  $17.99 in their catalog.  I crunched a few cases before I started using mine; I can't remember a crunched case after I started using it.
View Quote

The bobsled single shot loading blocks are very nice ... but 3x as expensive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have a spotting scope?  During slow fire you will want to be checking your target and recording in your data book.  That is going to require you coming off the gun anyways.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a Delrin single shot follower by Satern. It seems to work as advertised.

At the range last week, I realized that a minute per shot is quite a lot of time - especially if I'm checking in the scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top