Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 6:11:40 PM EDT
Narrowed it down to the RRA LAR-15 but cant decide between A2 or A4. Is their any compelling reason not to get the A4?  In full disclosure I doubt I would ever put a scope on it since I have a Hbar already done up with a scope and rails.

As for sights 1/2 x 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4 and .030 or .040 aperture?

Down the line what do shooter do these rifles as far as making them even better than when they left RRA?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
My advice would be to get a WOA upper with pinned sights.
I understand the Rock River is slightly less expensive, but Holligers sight mods alone are worth it.

Aperture size is up to your eyes. If you still have good vision, get the smallest one.
And I would suggest the 1/4 MOA adjustments.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Geissele makes a service rifle trigger, it's a big improvement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Narrowed it down to the RRA LAR-15 but cant decide between A2 or A4. Is their any compelling reason not to get the A4?  In full disclosure I doubt I would ever put a scope on it since I have a Hbar already done up with a scope and rails.

As for sights 1/2 x 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4 and .030 or .040 aperture?

Down the line what do shooter do these rifles as far as making them even better than when they left RRA?

View Quote

Buy an ArmaLite.

Just had to mess with you reaper556. I shot an Armalite National Match, 20 bull barrel, target trigger, in DCM matches for +/-15 years. I consistently shot in the 750-785 x 10-15 x on 100 and 200 yard reduced courses of fire. My rifle always shot better than I could shoot it (when shot from a bench) so I never really felt the need to upgrade. I would shoot your rifle for atleast a year or two depending on your skill level and amoun oft matches you shoot. Let that be the guide. You will likely be able to see more accuracy improvements from reloading than heavy mods to your gun. Remember, my comments are based on my experience with an Armalite, not a RR.
I never had any issues with the 1/2 x1/2 adjustment rate. ymmv
At my age, the difference between 0.30 and 0.40 is not discernable to me. Good luck, shoot some matches soon. Texas is full of match locations. See NSSF for starters, and Civilian Marksmanship Program for info.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks fellas for the info.

Do you all have a preference of A2 or A4?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks fellas for the info.

Do you all have a preference of A2 or A4?
View Quote

Go with the fixed A2 if you don't have plans to scope it later as you stated in your original post.   No point in letting Murphy jump on your back in the middle of a leg match.

I have a RRA, knowing what I know now I'd go with a pinned WOA upper and build my lower with a Geissele trigger.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have RR A4 and WOA Pined A2
They both track the same out to 600

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
A2  old school
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is going to be strictly a NRA / CMP HI-Power competition rifle then go A2.  For a right hand shooter you can reach through the carry handle to trip the bolt release without taking the rifle out of your shoulder.  Not so much with the A4.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm kind of in the same position since I plan on purchasing my first service rifle upper soon. From what I've read it seems that everyone says to go with an A2 if you don't plan scoping it so you can reach through the handle. Also from what I have found people seem to say if you have a lower to use already then go with white oak armament or I have also heard some recommendations for Keystone. If you go with either of these manufacturers you can order your sights pinned.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#10]
If you don't plan on scoping it, go with the A2.

I currently shoot a Rock River A2 upper with 1/4 x 1/4 and a .040 aperature.

I purchased it a Camp Perry a few years ago at a great price.
The online prices aren't that much different between a RRA and a WOA.

I used that upper right off the rack, with no changes, and went distinguished last year. They shoot just fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Go with an A2 - old school - better at 600 - elevation is an issue with A4
Go with .40 aperature - .30 even when I had good eyesight was tuff on low light days
WOA - is really nice - I bought a RRA national match - but later changed to Krieger barrel, offset screws added, armalite free float (broke the sling hook on the RRA), pinned sight - cost a lot more later
RRA lower has been great - Geiselle is awesome but expensive - I went back to RRA -(hollinger modified) previously had jewel, frank white and RRA
Good luck
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no elevation problem with an A4 if you are only shooting in out to 600. 1000 is fine too, but you need to move/modify the front sight.

B
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I know I am jumping in a little late, but here's my two cents:

I bought a RRA NMA4 with 1/4x1/4 and 0.040.  I also was fine with the chrome BCG and trigger (some guys want the black/tactical look).

Here are some things that I learned:

I had been using the NMA2 that the Navy armory issued and developed a habit of reaching through the carry handle.  Can't do that with the A4 (as others have said), but it's an easy hurdle to overcome.

I have 2MOA up from the mechanical bottom for my 200yd zero.  I have plenty of elevation left to hit 600yds just fine.  It does take a lot of turning with those extra clicks, but I have noticed that 1/4 MOA adjustments are the difference between an X or the other side of the 10 ring.  Both are fine in my book, unless the wind kicks up and it becomes the difference between a 10 and a 9.

Guys have told me that with the detachable carry handle on the A4 there is not enough room to machine the pins for the rear sight.  I haven't tried to have them pinned yet, so I can't vouch for that personally.

When I ordered I also picked up the lead weights from RRA.  Sure lots of people sell lead weights, but I know that these weights will fit the RRA stocks.  Rifle total weight is about 17 lbs., and at some point I am going to trim off about 3 lbs.  

If you are going to get a leather sling, look for a 54" sling.

BOTTOM LINE:  I bought the A4 so that I could scope it if I ever stop shooting high power.  If I was buying a dedicated high power rig, OR never intended to scope it I would have gone with the A2 (primarily so that I could get the rear sight pinned).  Both rifles shoot great in my experience, so you can't lose either way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I made high master and am one medal away from Distinguished with a used RRA upper. It's an A4. The A2 would be better. I pull the gun out of my shoulder to reload.

Get a Geissele mil spec trigger. I've never felt like I needed the NM trigger. I like to keep things simple if possible. I have quarter minute sights and like them.

I use 23.2 of XBR in LC cases with 77 and 80 grain Noslers. I use Wolf small rifle magnum primers. Load to 2.25". That load and a RRA gun has never left me feeling like I was outgunned in any match.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a detachable handle pinned by Keystone. There is no problem putting pins in them if you want them.

B
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top