Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2014 6:48:47 PM EDT
I would like to get into Service Rifle shooting, but I don't know where to begin.

How do you find out about where matches are held ?
I am talking about like club matches: not national championships and what not.
I know that years ago, there was a lot of activity in this sport. A number of clubs in my immediate area held matches on reduced courses. But as far as I know, none of them do this any longer. I asked the president of one club where I know they used to hold them and he told me they hadn't held one for years.

Do most people have to drive a considerable distance to shoot in these matches ?

If I get into this, I would like to be able to participate fairly regularly; at least a couple times a month. But, I don't want to have to drive 200 miles each way and have to stay in a hotel to do it. That may be too much to ask though.

I live in Eastern Ohio, Jefferson County, in the Steubenville area. Right on the Ohio/West Virginia line (on the Ohio River). On the other side of the state from Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The goto site for Highpower shooting information is the National Match forums:   National Match

You have to register, but it's a great site with lots of info.

As far as local events, a good place to start is your State Association:ORPA
Even though ORPA is based in the Camp Perry area, contact the Highpower Rifle Chair and ask about matches in your area.  Could also post an inquiry about matches in your area on the NM forums.

Best of luck,
Dave
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The NRA has a publication called 'Shooting Sports USA'.  It lists many High Power matches across the country.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, thank you.

Next question:
Is there somewhere that describes the process of shooting these matches ? How it all works ? I don't want to read about what trigger someone is using; I want to know what you shoot at ? At what distance ? What range commands are given ?  

I see references made to skill levels attained: leg points, distinguished, Master........ What does this stuff mean ?

Edit: I found what I was looking for.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that's one BIG question.

Is there somewhere that describes the process of shooting these matches ? How it all works ?  Go to the NRA sight and look-up the High Power rifle rule book. It's on line and a free PDF. will explain how it's done.  get rule book here

I want to know what you shoot at ? At what distance ?    From 100 - 1,000 yards.  Shooting across the course is usually shot at 200, 300 and 600 yards as follows.

200 is shot with off hand and rapid sitting.
300 is rapid prone,
and 600 is shot slow prone.

All matches shot at 600 - 1,000 yards are shot slow fire prone.  (now you CMP guys don't say I'm wrong with "what about rattle battle") I don't want to confuse.

What range commands are given ?  See the NRA rule book. Details them very well.

I see references made to skill levels attained:  NRA classifications are defined by point average as follows:

Marksman  Below 84 average.
Sharp Shooter:  84 - 88.99
Expert: 89 - 93.99
Master: 94 - 96.99
High Master: above 97

leg points, distinguished  These go hand in hand.  You earn leg points and need a total of 30 to be awarded the Distinguished riflemen badge.  Leg points are awarded several ways today. But all are awarded by shooting in a competition.
The main way to get points is to shoot in a EIC match (leg match). the top 10% scorers get points based on total number of competitors shooting the match. You can get 6 to 10 points in the match. If you shoot at camp Perry nationals and are a civilian and finish in the top 10% you will get 10 points.  Once you collect 30 points you will be awarded the badge.

Hope this babbling helps you out. It's just a start to you questions.

EBR666
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Terrific.
I am getting a good idea of what is going on.
Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
This website seems to lay out the basics pretty well.

http://www.njhighpower.com
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This website seems to lay out the basics pretty well.

http://www.njhighpower.com
View Quote

Ya that site is pretty good but some of the info is out dated. Like the scoring system in the pits. The placement of the value markers has changed to indicate hit value and how to mark misses etc.  The change is defined in the NRA rule book.

EBR666
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, thanks to some of these links I found plenty of places to shoot around here.

None are real close but within a two hour drive I can probably be shooting almost every weekend.

Now all I need is some gear to do it with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For gear you can't go wrong with Creedmoor Sports, Monard, Champions Choice, and Champions Shooter Supply.
View Quote

And Visa
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]
A few things to add about EIC points and distinguished.  You MUST earn one hard leg (8 or 10 point leg) to go out.  You can only shoot 4 leg matches a year for leg points regardless whether you earn points or not.  After 4 you are out of the running for points regardless of how you finish until the next year.

A good primer for all of this is the USAMU SAFS at camp perry or a local GSM / hi-power clinic.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A few things to add about EIC points and distinguished.  You MUST earn one hard leg (8 or 10 point leg) to go out.  You can only shoot 4 leg matches a year for leg points regardless whether you earn points or not.  After 4 you are out of the running for points regardless of how you finish until the next year.

A good primer for all of this is the USAMU SAFS at camp perry or a local GSM / hi-power clinic.

View Quote

One minor correction: you can shoot three EIC matches a year AND the EIC match at Camp Perry. As a civilian shooter at Cp Perry, if you place in the top 10% of non-distinguished shooters, you get 10 points. Cp Perry in this discussion means The National Matches, not a Regional, State Match, or any other match at Perry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't get hung up on the gear right now, it will come. Grab your rifle, a few 20 round mags, and go to a match. I shot my first season with just a rifle and a spotting scope.

You will get the hang of it quickly, and get a chance to check out what people are using and maybe try some different stuff out before you go nuts with the Visa.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Some good deals on gently used equipment can be had at the nationalmatch.us forums linked above too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#16]
This site is an excellent source on how to be a better shooter. http://www.jarheadtop.com/default.htm
Got to meet the owner of that site, Jim Owens, in 2010 at Perry. Him and R. Lee Ermey were talking and I walked up to say hi as they were near where I was shooting. Both were very friendly to people coming up and asking for autographs & pictures, etc. I didn't want to look like a "groupie" so I just shook their hands and said HI.

I learned a lot from that sites CD's and books he offers. Good luck and remember the only "stupid" question are the ones you don't ask.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
More on the distinguished program...

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#18]
See: http://www.nrapublications.org/wp-content/ComingEvents/CE_Download.pdf for info on locations near you.

Looks like nearest is 2 hours from you in Duncan Falls.

Your best bet is to find a highpower buddy who lives not too far from you.
Go to http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?act=idx and poke around until you find somebody who can help.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]
You live an hour from me.

IM me for my address and we can meet and I'll show you where the local club is and you can go through my stuff.

ETA my club has pits and is an hour from you.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Piccolo got me straightened out.

Millvale Spotsmans Club in Pittsburgh North Hills.

Easy Drive, all freeway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#21]
HP rifle shooters are the best.

Favor center!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:22:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

HP rifle shooters are the best.

Favor center!
View Quote

Yes they are!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Is Midvale Full distance? Is there a link to a website? That's not too far from me to be out of the question...
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Millvale Sportsman's Club

I have never been there and don't know anything about it other than what the website says.........and it says 200 yards.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Millvale Sportsman's Club

I have never been there and don't know anything about it other than what the website says.........and it says 200 yards.
View Quote

They shoot a 200 yard reduced course and have PITS which makes it a joy as you don't have to hump up and down range all the time and take all day. It's a good club. Mention my name and stand back.

A couple guys know me as Piccolo. Mike does.

The STILL kid me because I used to shoot barefoot a few years back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#26]
As another mentioned-Small Arms Firing School-Rifle, at Camp Perry in July (of every year).
www.thecmp.org

The US Army Markmanship Unit (USAMU) teaches this 2 day course. They supply the Rifle, Ammo, and instruction, and throw in a t-shirt- all for only $45!!

MAKE THE TIME to do this, and take a friend or a kid.

Best regards.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Sir, the NJ highpower site provides alot of useful info on high power shooting.  Yes the target scoring system has changed a couple of times in the last few years.  Carl Leisinger is the primary author of the site and he's been into the sport for a very long time.  

Another venue you may want to check out is the Whitehorse shooting range in WVa.  It's located in north central WVa and doesn't appear to be to far from either the Ohio or Pa. state lines.  Dick Whiting (formerly of CMP) is one of the principles there and like Carl, Dick has been in the high power game for a very long time.  Just google"Whitehorse shooting" and that should take you to the site with all the info you want.

FWIW, many highpower shooters do travel a fair distance to compete in full distance matches.  I live in SE Virginia and compete regularly at Butner, NC, the former Blackwater ranges in Moyock, NC, Quantico, Va. and occasionally Bridgeville, De.  All of these ranges are within 200 miles of my home and except for Moyock I generally get a hotel room near the range the night before  There are some reduced course ranges closer to home but I haven't shot at any for some years.  HTH, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As another mentioned-Small Arms Firing School-Rifle, at Camp Perry in July (of every year).
www.thecmp.org

The US Army Markmanship Unit (USAMU) teaches this 2 day course. They supply the Rifle, Ammo, and instruction, and throw in a t-shirt- all for only $45!!

MAKE THE TIME to do this, and take a friend or a kid.

Best regards.
View Quote

Agreed. Fantastic class. Plan on taking it next summer. I have taken it four or five times.
http://www.odcmp.com/nm/safs.htm

When you get your gear and are starting to get a little comfortable shooting high power, then you need to take this class:
http://www.odcmp.com/NM/AdHPClinic.htm

You have no idea how lucky you are living within 4 hours of camp Perry. (I am lucky as well)
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for the continuing updates.

That Whitehorse range is only a couple hours away as best as I can tell. It says it is 120 miles from Pittsburgh which is the not all that far away from me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top