Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2014 7:57:40 PM EDT
Hey guys. I attended my first 2 high power competitions the last two weekends and shot a 432 and 449. I consider that great for me and am really excited to get into the sport.

I'm borrowed all the supplies from my shooting club and want to start picking up my own stuff.

The coat I borrowed was a Creedmoor leather coat, which is more than I can afford with a kid on the way.

I'm considering the Creedmoor deluxe coat link and wanted to hear some opinions on it. Anyone start with that and actually shoot competitively? Will my scores drop significantly going from the leather coat to the basic one?

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a novice.  That said, if I were you, I'd keep a lookout on the highpower forum and buy something used.  Post a "New guy WTB" and see if something comes up.  There are deals to be had, but you have to be patient and buy it when it comes along.  

However, after a quick look, it looks like there are a lot of WTBs up.  Maybe after the season.  I about guarantee you will sell that coat to buy a hardback as soon as you can afford to.  Thats what happened to me at least.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Fpni.

Old guys are always looking to get new guys in the game. Borrow one if possible until you can buy one that's used.   A jacket is really helpful. But, I know a person that legged out without one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I wear a Creedmoor "Lite Cordura" non-hardback coat, and I was able to get my masters classficiation with it.  It's not going to hold me back from getting to high master either.  It's only $250 compared to $350-$400 for the tricked out leather hardback model.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wear a Creedmoor "Lite Cordura" non-hardback coat, and I was able to get my masters classficiation with it. It's not going to hold me back from getting to high master either. It's only $250 compared to $350-$400 for the tricked out leather hardback model.
View Quote

Thanks Ite82. I guess that is my main concern. I would hate to spend $200 on a coat and not be competitive. Then ultimately lose $100 selling it and spending another $400 just to be competitive.

My main concern: Is a heavy coat required to be competitive (Master, High Master, etc). It looks like is definitely could help, but not essential..
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The Deluxe is quite a bargain.

My Tapered Bardback with vents was custom-made, new, in 1999.  It's a little sun faded but still giving fantastic service.

I got my teenage son's Tapered Hardback on a board for half-price of new from a guy who out-grew it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks Ite82. I guess that is my main concern. I would hate to spend $200 on a coat and not be competitive. Then ultimately lose $100 selling it and spending another $400 just to be competitive.

My main concern: Is a heavy coat required to be competitive (Master, High Master, etc). It looks like is definitely could help, but not essential..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wear a Creedmoor "Lite Cordura" non-hardback coat, and I was able to get my masters classficiation with it. It's not going to hold me back from getting to high master either. It's only $250 compared to $350-$400 for the tricked out leather hardback model.

I would say yes, a heavy coat (or at least the lite version of the heavy coat) is required.  The cotton "deluxe" cloth coats help some, but won't provide the support of a proper fitting cordura or leather coat.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy once cry once.  save up till you can afford the better coat.  a 400 dollar coat is a 500 dollar coat when you loose 100 bux selling the coat you didnt want to buy it.  btw congradulations on the expert scores you will go far if you try.  Most new shooters start in the low to mid 300s
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The leather coat is nice and all, but I suggest getting the all cordura hardback. Unless your waistline is bigger than your chest, I'd go tapered, no vents. Personally, I don't care for the side zippers either. Unbuckling the bottom three or so buckles gives me enough movement for sitting and prone.

I was going to get a leather coat after I went distinguished, but shortly after I legged out back in 2009, I took a break from High Power and never got back into it, so I never bought that all leather coat. But my cordura coat is still in great shape.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
What size are you? I have an old leather Champion's Choice (I think size 46, have to check) and a Cordura Creedmoor size 48 with a mesh back. PM me if you want more info.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What size are you? I have an old leather Champion's Choice (I think size 46, have to check) and a Cordura Creedmoor size 48 with a mesh back. PM me if you want more info.
View Quote

Thanks for the info, but I'm probably closer to a 40 (size medium shirt). I might post up a WTB I'm the EE and see if I get any hits.

If anyone has a leather coat around size 40 shoot me an email or IM.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info, but I'm probably closer to a 40 (size medium shirt). I might post up a WTB I'm the EE and see if I get any hits.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be better off posting a wtb ad on the national match forum.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#12]
try here:

usrifleteams.com

They have an excellent for sale forum where you'll be more likely to find a used hardback, which is really what you'll end up buying if you stick with the sport. I bought mine new ten years ago and it's still awesome. It's a tapered cordura model with vents.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, I have the cheaper version of the one you linked to. I use a thick sweatshirt underneath of it. It worked great for me my first time out to Perry. Had only shoot 2 matches before going and the 2nd was the week before Perry. I was 3 points from getting a Bronze in the JCG and EIC matches. The cheaper one is only like $75, get that and save money for ammo to practice.

Congrats on getting into the sport and for the kid on its way!

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Wait until black Friday and get it on sale from Creedmoor......   It's going to take a few (4-6 weeks) to get it anyway so why not order it over this winter and have it ready for next season.

Buy once, Cry once and get the hardback, get the vents, get the all position upgrade and get the deeper turtle neck cut.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Creedmoors coats are now 14-16 weeks out for the hardback... call them first though, sometimes they have a few on the rack.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I just want to add to this...

Previously I stated that the Lite coat was good enough to make high master with, and while that still holds true (I've shot a few high master scores with it since I posted, and I'm one match away from upgrading), I picked up a hardback coat and I'm not going back to the Lite coat.  

The hardback gives you more consistent point of aim shot to shot when standing, where the Lite coat I struggled a little getting it "set" every time as it seems to slide around a bit.  Both coats reward you for a good hold, and neither will hide a bad hold, but the hardback is just better at helping you to stand very still.

The Lite coat leaves nothing on the table during sitting or prone however, as I've been able to hold a 199 average through the rapids over the last 6 months.  I've shot a lot of clean strings with high x counts, and the shots I do miss are me, not the coat.  I fully expect 100 5x strings at 200 & 300.

In my opinion, if this is going to be a sport you participate in for the long term, I'd go for the hardback.  You may never want to compete on the national stage, but if you do, you'll want the advantage that the hardback offers.  It may be only worth a few points if you do your part, and worth nothing if you don't, but it's still something I recommend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top