Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 12:04:55 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with this sight for the M1/M1A? It looks interesting. But, I would like to get others thoughts and findings before getting one. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info. Been looking into getting one for AR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe that nobody has any information/opinions on this item. I just ordered one and will post my observations and opinions after I receive it next week.
I have shot nothing but Service Rifle since 1972 and haven't missed a season yet. With 74 year old eyes, it does get challenging. The rectangular aperture, Bob Jones lens, and the Microsight didn't help.
I'll see what this latest aperture does for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't believe that nobody has any information/opinions on this item. I just ordered one and will post my observations and opinions after I receive it next week.
I have shot nothing but Service Rifle since 1972 and haven't missed a season yet. With 74 year old eyes, it does get challenging. The rectangular aperture, Bob Jones lens, and the Microsight didn't help.
View Quote

I found some info on the national match forum with pretty positive reviews. A few folks were saying they liked it more than the microsight. I ordered one due to having vision issues at 600 with my 21 year old eyes, and installed it this week. I'm shooting an 800 and 500 agg this weekend, I'll report back with the results.

Here's mine sitting in my compass lake sight assembly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Tried one out yesterday. Front post is a lot sharper, so sharp I saw little pieces of lint ect. The target does stay in focus too. It is an easy, relaxing sigh picture, so much so I had to remind myself to look at the front post, not both.
One trade off - the aiming black looks smaller. I shot at 200 and switched to a .062 from a .072 post, seemed to help.

The aperture it comes with was too small, I put in an old Bob Jones .048 I had and all looked good from bright sun to heavy overcast/haze.

I have OK eyesight normally, can't focus at 20" without reading glasses though and I lose most ability to focus on the post at the 600 line after a few rounds in a match. At 600 I had to fool around with a new center mass hold for consistent elevation but it seemed to work better holding a little low to allow more of the black to show, probably because the black appears smaller now.

Am going to try it in a couple matches this weekend.

Oh, I cut a few 2" pieces of 3/8" clear tubing and plugged one end with a dowel to use as a cover on each end of the hood/insert. Should be good to keep out rain/dirt when not shooting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I found some info on the national match forum with pretty positive reviews. A few folks were saying they liked it more than the microsight. I ordered one due to having vision issues at 600 with my 21 year old eyes, and installed it this week. I'm shooting an 800 and 500 agg this weekend, I'll report back with the results.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/mb10x/054295ac-c47f-4ddd-8801-f6ffb52f26e6_zpsc88f0fe2.jpg?t=1398295483
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/mb10x/054295ac-c47f-4ddd-8801-f6ffb52f26e6_zpsc88f0fe2.jpg?t=1398295483

You shooting the Big Ed's at Oak Ridge pinhooker?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
2506jet, How would you say it compares to the Micro-Sight?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:48:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
2506jet, How would you say it compares to the Micro-Sight?
View Quote

Don't know, never had a Microsight lens, just the body for one that came in an old upper I bought.

A friend I shoot with has both, he definitly likes the Miso better. Says the alignment issue is number one. Not critical with the Miso but I noticed it seems to have some kind of parallax going on. If doesn't matter as much as long as you have your eye releif close, charging handle up your nose.
He also said the Miso has a clearer overall sight picture for seeing the black. He has to wear glasses normally for long distance corrected vision as well as reading glasses and uses glasses one diopter (power?)  less for shooting with the lens.

My friend also tried one in an M14, said it works just as well as the AR one.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Tried it for the first time yesterday on a M1A. The setup is similar to the Microsight where an "O" ring is pressed into the hod, lens installed, and a "plastic" type of retainer ring is pressed in with a supplied rod.
The first problem was that the rod is wider than the USGI hood (I have several and they are uniform in ID). The retainer ring is also wider than the hood ID but can be forced in by pressing it HARD with a flat piece of wood.
The front sight is sharper than the Microsight. The targets (200 and 300yd) are clear and sharp. I'll get to try it at 600yd this Sunday.
One BIG problem showed up when the wind switched to 12:00. With the retainer not pushed in beyond flush, the lens was not immobilized in the hood. The lens began to flutter in the hood and looked like the worst heavy boil mirage imaginable. The view began to jump up and down and was impossible to focus on. I'll turn down the rod so that it fits and then I should be able to push the retainer below flush to seat the lens. I can't believe that anyone with shooting experience could not fix this situation before selling this product (or, they were working with an aftermarket hood or a Chinese part). With the AR sight, everything is assembled when you get it so this is probably an M14/M1A problem only.
The next problem, as mentioned above, is that there is no sight cover to keep dust, dirt, or whatever from coating the lens. The Microsight comes with a plastic cover. I'm using an M14 sight cover for when the sight is not in use.
The installation directions are sparse or just not there. How is the lens cleaned? How is the lens removed without destroying it?
Yes, it is better than the Microsight. It does have clearer and brighter images of both the front sight and target.
Next report will be Monday.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Used it this past saturday, and well, it certainly does what it advertises. While the post/target isn't a perfectly clear picture on both at the same time, it's a big improvement. It also does this weird zoom thing that you can somewhat control, hard to explain.

I got down into sitting and my first string was a 100-3X, nothing spectacular and the string didn't feel great at all. I get into position for string 2 and I cant see anything. If I'm looking at the front sight, the background/target area was one color. I honestly had no idea what was going on and shot the string to the best of my ability, and kept my post on what I thought was the general area the bull was at. Target goes down, score board rolls up...59. Turns out my aperture fell out, I thought it was just my eyes taking a shit on me.

After talking with CC/MISO, they're sending me a new aperture, which is nice of them, but I much would have preferred for my sight to not fall apart after 34 rounds. This match decided if I received a master classification, and I didn't make the cut due to those lost points. Oh well...

So, to conclude, I think it would be beneficial to those with vision issues, just make sure you put some rounds down the tube before using it in a match.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top