Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2014 6:39:02 AM EDT
I am giving up on service rifle, my vision is just not up to the task so i had a gunsmith build an old school match rifle.  Anyone else shooting one or am I a dinosaur now?

Is anyone shooting the new Sierra .308 125 or 135 grain match bullets at two and three hundred yards?  

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
It's beautiful
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Now that be Pretty.  and I would like to shoot that...
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing wrong with that at all!

I know a couple guys who shoot bolt guns in high power, so you're not alone.

The CMP shooters are all over the 125 grain bullets.  I haven't tried anything that light yet, but apparently the M1 and M14 love them at ranges of 300 yards and less.

While they aren't "match" bullets, the 125 grain Speer TNT bullets seems to be the favorite.  Varmint bullets have to be accurate, too.

Matt
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll end up there soon enough. Either there or F-Class since they can run glass.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am giving up on service rifle, my vision is just not up to the task so i had a gunsmith build an old school match rifle.  
View Quote

I'm thinking about making the transition to match rifle also.   What sights and apertures did you go with?

Art
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I plan on bringing both of my match rifles (both based on AR's) out this year once I get enough trigger time on them.  One is a 223 the other is a 6mm AR Turbo Imp.  I'm in Texas too, so maybe we'll get to line up against each other one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#7]
LOVE it!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 33, legged out at 30, my vision is excellent.  Just wanted to go to a bolt gun.  I have a Tubb 2000 that I got several years before which saw only LR use.  As soon as I legged out, I switched over to the T2K for most competitions.  I still use the AR for CMP events.  I still shoot local EIC matches and will be going to my 2nd CMP nationals this year (actually doing both CMP and NRA with the schedule change this year).  

OK, the T2K ain't an old school match rifle, but I'd still shoot one if a Tubb or a tubegun weren't available.  I like the better sights and greater inherent accuracy with the bolt guns.  I also find the rapid fires more challenging with the bolt gun.  Deep down, I believe that a bolt gun makes one better at rapid fire stages with a semi-auto (you really have to learn cadence unlike with a semi-auto).

6XC for XTC, but I've thought about throwing my Palma barrel on the Tubb gun and just shooting it XTC for the heck of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top