Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2014 3:45:01 PM EDT
What is the default standard one size fits most size when it comes to ordering service rifle (1907 style) slings?
There seem to be a multitude of sizes available for order depending on the manufacturer, and I do not want to buy one with a great deal of excess length.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The reason why there are so many sizes has to do with people's torso sizes vary quite a bit too

Buy a good 2 point adjustable one from Viking tactics , blue force gear , ...
I have a black hawk that was a gift and it's very nice
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy a good 2 point adjustable one from Viking tactics , blue force gear , ...

I have a black hawk that was a gift and it's very nice
View Quote
Not what I am looking for, This is a 1907 style service rifle sling for National Match / CMP service rifle competitions, not for a "working gun"

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok well I'm not sure how tubby you are ...so I suggest you use a piece of twine as a test and measure it then
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
54" is pretty well the "standard" for an AR15 Service Rifle sling.  This length will work for 99% of shooters.

If you're buying a leather sling for serious competition, do not waste your money on gun show slings or even a Turner NM (IMHO).  Call and talk to one of the following custom sling makers:

Les Tam
Tam

John Weller
Weller

Ron Brown
Brown

Or just do as some very good SR shooters do, buy a $14 USGI cotton web sling from Creedmoor.  
Web Sling

Regards,
Dave

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Or just do as some very good SR shooters do, buy a $14 USGI cotton web sling from Creedmoor.  

Web Sling

Regards,

Dave

View Quote
That is what I have shot with for years with the typical USMC loop sling, I now have a dedicated match service rifle and want a good match sling... What is your dislike of the Turner biothane just the fact it is not leather?  When funds allow I will get t quality leather one.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several leather Turner NM slings, but have never tried the Turner biothane, so my opinion was towards the former.  While the Turners are good slings, the quality of the custom maker's slings mentioned are great.  I waited a year for my last Tam sling, and they are a bit more expensive, "buy once, cry once" applies here.

Like I said, just my opinion.  Best of luck with your new SR.

Dave

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I always just buy long (56") and cut the tail off i'm not using with a pair of shears leaving about 6' hanging on the front swivel end after it's broke in. That amount seems to stay tucked in between the straps shooting prone/sitting.

Have a hole punch in case I want some extra to attach it just right when shooting offhand.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered the 54" Ron Brown sling from Creedmoor and use it for both my Garand and AR-15.
It made my old Turner Sling feel like a flimsy toy.

Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
While the Les Tam is the ultimate 1907 sling, I believe he is up to an 18 month wait? If I ever wear out the three I have, I will order the Ron Brown next. They seem to be of similar quality.

My buddies range in size from 5'7" to 6'4" and all are using the 54" sling.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Ron_Brown_Service_Sling-RBSLING.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a Turner biothane on my NM AR.  Takes some break in time, much stiffer than the leather slings.  Much more grippy also.  Keepers are hard to move to sling and unsling for a bit.  Frogs are tight in the holes.  The holes are not numbered like the leather slings so I mark with felt tip.  They don't stretch either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
No matter which 1907 sling you buy, you might want to try rigging it thusly:
No pulse sling
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with DKM64 on gun shows and Turners leather sling, I'd add Brownells to that as well.  All are unfinished and vary in thicknes and they got longer as you use them..  Think the leather came from the belly?

On my SR's, I use Fields from Stayton, OR.  Don't know if they are still in business.  Got them on my hunting rifles as well.

Now the Turner AWS is another story.  I like them alot.  Pain in the ass, yes.  But I think you could tow a truck with one, and you can paint them
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use a Turner biothane on my NM AR.  Takes some break in time, much stiffer than the leather slings.  Much more grippy also.  Keepers are hard to move to sling and unsling for a bit.  Frogs are tight in the holes.  The holes are not numbered like the leather slings so I mark with felt tip.  They don't stretch either.
View Quote

That's what I use.  Very happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

More I use mine the more I fall in love with it.  Bought to buy a couple of more to replace my turner leather.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#15]
54" is what everyone seems to use as a default length.

I'm 6.2 w/76" WS and and 54" is still longer than what I need with a AR.

Don't get the Hate for Leather Turner's... Used them for years with no issue.

The only thing I do hate is how &^%^& expensive Good Leather slings cost these days !
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a 54" Turner blemished sling.  The only complaint I have is that after 4 years now, the keepers have stretched, and will override the frogs.  But I also really crank down on it.  Other than that, it's been great.  

A buddy of mine bought one of the Turner biothane's, and loves it.  Nice and grippy, doesn't move a bit when it's on his arm, and has had zero stretch so far.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I was happy with my leather turner on my m1 garand until my buddy got a new ron brown.  It makes my turner feel like an old rope.  I use a biothane no pulse sling for my ar and m1a.  Tear out the holes one the biothane every other year.  What we do is shoot the biothane slings for 2 years then swap with eachother because we use different holes.  Buy a sling a bit long  you can always cut off but you cant cut it longer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top