Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2014 6:32:02 AM EDT
I am just getting into High Power/Service Rifle over the past year or two and have been putting together the parts and pieces as funds and skill allow.

The lower is solid now but I think my skill has gotten to the point where my upper is holding me back.  I currently have a 20" PSA with standard FS/detachable carry handle and no free float...  Not ideal but it was a great deal at <$300 and does have the FN barrel.  It holds <2 MOA from the bench with XM193 but when you put it under sling tension the POI shifts about 2 MOA (but not always consistently).  That big 7 MOA front sight is pretty wide too.

It looks like I could get a free float tube for around $125.  I'd have to pay someone to install it (baby arriving in a week, going to be super busy) which is another fifty bucks or so, for around two hundred invested in the upgrade.

Alternatively, it looks like I could get a new upper for somewhat more:
- Model 1 Sales:  Starting at $465 + BCG
- RRA:  $815+
- WOA:  $670+ (but not taking new orders)

I am flinching at throwing down eight hundred bucks right now; I just bought a bunch of SBR/NFA stuff and the fun budget is tied up.  I am afraid that putting the $200 free float project into the PSA though is just throwing good money into something that will need to be upgraded later on anyways.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
How many rounds through your current barrel? What is the twist rate? You will want a 1:7 or 1:8 if you plan to shoot heavier bullets down the line.

You also most likely do not have 1/2x1/2 or 1/4x1/4 rear sight. If you start shooting across the course, you will want the finer adjustments.
If shooting on reduced course it may work for now.

It is always good to have a spare upper, but you could be tossing a lot of money at this.

Great prices can be had at Camp Perry during the Nationals on uppers. I bought a complete RRA upper for 600 a few years back. (but you may not be near Northern Ohio)
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy new upper and complete psa lower so you have two separate ones.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many rounds through your current barrel? What is the twist rate? You will want a 1:7 or 1:8 if you plan to shoot heavier bullets down the line.

You also most likely do not have 1/2x1/2 or 1/4x1/4 rear sight. If you start shooting across the course, you will want the finer adjustments.
If shooting on reduced course it may work for now.

It is always good to have a spare upper, but you could be tossing a lot of money at this.

Great prices can be had at Camp Perry during the Nationals on uppers. I bought a complete RRA upper for 600 a few years back. (but you may not be near Northern Ohio)
View Quote

It is a 1:7.  Perhaps a thousand rounds through it.

You are correct on the rear sight -- it is just a standard M4-style carry handle.

I am kicking myself as I was at Perry last summer but passed on the uppers.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is a 1:7.  Perhaps a thousand rounds through it.

You are correct on the rear sight -- it is just a standard M4-style carry handle.

I am kicking myself as I was at Perry last summer but passed on the uppers.  
View Quote

Search both the NM forums E&E ( http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?s=67700714d758edca846219ffe79eb6c3&showforum=16 ) and the arfcom used uppers page. I've seen plenty of DPMS/RRA/BM/etc uppers for sale, ranging from 450 to the sky. You should have no problem finding an upper for six bills though.

But I wouldn't put any money into your current upper. You'll need a NM carrying handle, and a float tube, which will probably put you at 250. And then your barrel will still be holding you back versus a decent SS barrel.

Don't be so quick to hate on the GI front post though. After hearing about others using it, I made the switch from the skinny match post. Scores went up instantly, it seemed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can wait till Perry, you can get the whole RRA for $900ish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top