Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2014 7:59:25 AM EDT
So, I'd like to get into NRA High power shooting.  The local range I belong to has a monthly event, all at 200 yards.  Of course there are different classes, but I am interested in the service rifle class.  Problem is that I don't have a "service rifle" yet.  I've always wanted to get a Garand, but I'm familiar with the AR-15 platform.  Are any  .308 AR's allowed in the SR class?  Since I'm pretty much a noob to the High Power competition, I'd like to hear some opinions on rifle platforms.

Mitch
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]

http://www.usrifleteams.com/

National Match forum is the best place I've found for info
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
.308 AR's are allowed as service rifles, rule 3.1(d) as M-110 rifles. http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

There's no advantage to using a .308 if you're thinking to buy one, unless you really just want one. The ammo costs more , parts cost more, and you won't see a higher score.

My advice would be to just show up and start shooting matches with whatever you have. If all you own is a .22, check if they have a 50-100 reduced course fun match. Pretty much any mag or clip fed rifle that can hold at least 5 rounds is allowed. Shooting under match class or service rifle dosen't make one bit of difference at local matches. It's likely that at the first match someone will offer to let you use a spare gun at the next match if you bring ammo.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
where in PA?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a good place to read up on getting yourself organized to shoot SR

http://www.jarheadtop.com/articles_EquipNotes.htm
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy and shoot 223
Cheaper to feed
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I also say go with a 5.56 AR-15. Buy or build one for Service Rifle w/ free float tube under hand guards.
Buy 1/4 minute sights on removable carry handle.

Try to attend "Small Arms Firing School" (SAFS) at Camp Perry , Ohio. The have it every July.
You will learn so much in 2 days...for only $45!

Do it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also say go with a 5.56 AR-15. Buy or build one for Service Rifle w/ free float tube under hand guards.

Try to attend "Small Arms Firing School" (SAFS) at Camp Perry , Ohio. The have it every July.

Do it.
View Quote

I did SAFS at Perry last year and promptly marched over to the Rock River hut after the EIC match and picked me up the same rifle they use in the school now. Very happy!
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have an AR carbine with irons? That would work fine for now, just attach a web sling to the front swivel, get a 200yd zero, couple of mags, binoculars, piece of carpet, some kind of heavy glove for your left hand and go shoot. You could use BUIS if that's all you have for now as you won't need to change elevation if only shooting at 200yds.

Try and contact the match director first and let him know you are a new shooter wanting to attend, he will help you out with anything you need. Most clubs will supply a rifle and ammo if you call ahead of time, many of the shooters will lend you equipment and teach at the match.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I did SAFS at Perry last year and promptly marched over to the Rock River hut after the EIC match and picked me up the same rifle they use in the school now. Very happy!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it.

I've been researching this too, more for CMP EIC matches though so I can try to earn the distinguished badges (pistol is a whole other beast).  I'll add that from what I'm reading it sounds like you'd be better off getting something with a stainless 20" barrel with a 1:7 twist to stabilize the heavier bullets, though I've read that 1:8 will work too.  I haven't read anything about NRA High Power yet, so this may be different, and I don't have any experience shooting beyond 300, so take my input for what it's worth.

Since I'm new to this too, I'm planning to go to a club shoot on Sunday, though I only have my 16" RRA m4gery with a mish mash of 55gr ammunition to take, so I probably won't be trying to go for the 600 yd targets.  This Sunday is more about showing up to talk to some more experienced shooters and learn a thing or two than it is about shooting.  

Although, now I'm curious, and about to show the depth of my inexperience.  How would my 11.5" SBR with a 1:7 fair at 600 with a 77 or 80 gr round?  For EIC I know I have to build a 20" in an A2 configuration, but just for this weekend, I was wondering if it would fair better at range even with 5" shorter on the barrel than my 16".
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've been researching this too, more for CMP EIC matches though so I can try to earn the distinguished badges (pistol is a whole other beast).  I'll add that from what I'm reading it sounds like you'd be better off getting something with a stainless 20" barrel with a 1:7 twist to stabilize the heavier bullets, though I've read that 1:8 will work too.  I haven't read anything about NRA High Power yet, so this may be different, and I don't have any experience shooting beyond 300, so take my input for what it's worth.

Since I'm new to this too, I'm planning to go to a club shoot on Sunday, though I only have my 16" RRA m4gery with a mish mash of 55gr ammunition to take, so I probably won't be trying to go for the 600 yd targets.  This Sunday is more about showing up to talk to some more experienced shooters and learn a thing or two than it is about shooting.  

Although, now I'm curious, and about to show the depth of my inexperience.  How would my 11.5" SBR with a 1:7 fair at 600 with a 77 or 80 gr round?  For EIC I know I have to build a 20" in an A2 configuration, but just for this weekend, I was wondering if it would fair better at range even with 5" shorter on the barrel than my 16".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it.

An 11.5" upper at 600? I would hate to be pulling on that target.  Seriously, I would not attempt that, the match director probably won't allow it either especially if you never tried it before and didn't have zero's. Doudt you could dial in enough elevation on the rear sight anyhow, would have to screw down the front post, re-zero ect. Would be awful fun to watch though!

Your carbine and 55gn ammo will work just fine for your first few matches. Go shoot it, have fun. I see a lot of guys shooting 55FMJ's at 600yd when starting out. Saw a pretty good score put up with PMC 55FMJ last season (20" upper) on a day with no wind. If it's blowing anything over 5-6mph full value wind the 55's will be a bear to keep on target. Just shoot when the lulls come.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
An 11.5" upper at 600? I would hate to be pulling on that target.  Seriously, I would not attempt that, the match director probably won't allow it either especially if you never tried it before and didn't have zero's. Doudt you could dial in enough elevation on the rear sight anyhow, would have to screw down the front post, re-zero ect. Would be awful fun to watch though!
Your carbine and 55gn ammo will work just fine for your first few matches. Go shoot it, have fun. I see a lot of guys shooting 55FMJ's at 600yd when starting out. Saw a pretty good score put up with PMC 55FMJ last season (20" upper) on a day with no wind. If it's blowing anything over 5-6mph full value wind the 55's will be a bear to keep on target. Just shoot when the lulls come.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it.

Lol, yeah, I figured as much, like I said, I'm inexperienced.   I'm hoping to learn a lot more this weekend about how barrel length and twist affect ballistics, and since EIC is going to be a long haul endeavor I'm planning on getting into reloading.  I've been reading a few things about 55gr being really unpredictable out to 600, to the point that it's not allowed in the Army Marksmanship Unit matches.  I don't have a link, but I'm pretty sure I was reading it on a page where some guys from the AMU were answering questions from competition newbies.  Or, maybe I'm confusing it with shooting 77's out of a 1:9, but it was something about the jacket coming off the bullet and the bullet tumbling and being a danger to the staff in the pit.

Full Value - does that mean a straight 90 degree cross wind?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Snip*
Full Value - does that mean a straight 90 degree cross wind?

Yes. Here is a good article on wind basics. Has a chart, I printed a small copy and taped it to my buttstock along with come ups for the different yard lines with clear packing tape until I had it all memorized.

Look at the chart labeled clock system to see what the different values are, learn the angles by clock position, same way we call round impacts on target. Notice a half-value wind is not exactly 10:30. don't get too wrapped up in precise reading of the wind angle at first, just get a good idea what full, half and quarter value is by looking at the wind flag angles. Learning the flags as well as reading mirage through your spotting scope will come with time and you will develop a system to determine wind dope with each shot as skills improve.

Takes a few seasons to figure it out confidently, try and shoot when the wind looks the same each shot if possible. Watch other good shooters, they are great for judging wind when you score for them. Ask them when they are done firing what the wind was worth (in minutes) and pay attention to what conditions they fired mostly. Laminated wind charts for the bullet you shoot are available or make one. Comes in handy for making a guess what windage to put on when it's time to shoot.

I still make notes while at different ranges such as how the wind acts due to terrain features, lighting, altitude ect. That's why a scorebook is so important when starting out. Keep records of the things you see and do by writing it down after shooting a string. I just use a pocket pad kept in my shooting cart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top