Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2014 1:55:14 PM EDT
Have any of you ever used Beam Hit to practice fundamentals for high power?

If so, which models are best?

Any ideas where I can get one cheap?  Maybe how to get a DRMO set from the Navy?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't. I just use reduced copies of pistol targets taped to a door in the gun room. One low for prone, sitting and one higher for standing. Strap in, snap caps and practice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I hadn't heard of the SCATT.  The youtube videos and official website look impressive.  I'll start saving my pennies....

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
We have Top Gun Trainer
About 600
Happy with it
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hadn't heard of the SCATT.  The youtube videos and official website look impressive.  I'll start saving my pennies....

Thanks for the link!
View Quote

Don't know if they still use it, but the US Army Marksmanship Unit was using the SCATT units a decade ago, you could do some pretty impressive things with them beyond just marking where a shot hits, such as analyzing the entire wobble before and after the shot.

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think the USAMU was actually using the NOPTEL.  It's a more expensive system and offers some better features but for the money the SCATT is VERY close in quality and features for about half the money.
View Quote

You may be correct, it's been a long time since I took a seminar at Ft. Benning from them.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using the scatt for the past five days or so, and can't recommend it enough. The one issue I find with it though, is that since the result appears immediately, you want to shoot much faster than your normal speed on the range, which leads to fatigue (for me). It has already helped my offhand immensely and the scores I was shooting last week in comparison to yesterday already show very noticeable increase in score.

Luckily I didn't have to buy mine, but I would buy one in a heartbeat if I lost access to the one I am currently using. I shot this "600" yesterday, and was pleased enough with the score that I took a screenshot of it. It's also showing that my follow through always moves down and to the left, which I'll try to minimize now that I'm aware of it. Since I cleaned this target on the scatt, I have full confidence I can do it in the real world next time I shoot.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The one thing with all these electronic trainers is that they are totally linear unless you adjust the parameters to mimic the caliber you are shooting.   I have quite a bit of time on my SCATT and although there is no "right" F coefficient setting, I find that a setting of 15 pretty much mimics shooting a 223.  If you shoot with 0 as the F-coefficient it basically thinks you are shooting a laser at the target and you will get unrealistic feedback.  For Air Rifle the settings are much higher like 70 because a pellet is traveling at such slow speeds it has lots of "barrel time"

These settings can be adjusted in the tool bar under shot parameters.
View Quote

That's good to know, mine has been set at 30. Will having a faster speed on the laser improve scores at all?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That's good to know, mine has been set at 30. Will having a faster speed on the laser improve scores at all?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The one thing with all these electronic trainers is that they are totally linear unless you adjust the parameters to mimic the caliber you are shooting.   I have quite a bit of time on my SCATT and although there is no "right" F coefficient setting, I find that a setting of 15 pretty much mimics shooting a 223.  If you shoot with 0 as the F-coefficient it basically thinks you are shooting a laser at the target and you will get unrealistic feedback.  For Air Rifle the settings are much higher like 70 because a pellet is traveling at such slow speeds it has lots of "barrel time"

These settings can be adjusted in the tool bar under shot parameters.

A higher setting requires better follow-thru after pulling the trigger, from what I can tell.  Set it for too long and you may be wasting a little time and extra energy staying in position longer, but I'd think that's less a problem than having the setting too short and not following through enough.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top