Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2012 5:16:23 AM EDT
I have my service rifle and a web sling, but i would like to get a turner sling. How do I measure to get the correct length?
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What ya shootin?

ETA: I just ordered a new sling from Creedmore Sports, Ron Brown, it comes 54" so you can cut it to length. Easy to do. Looks like a better sling than the Turner from what i'm told and only a few bucks more.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a "standard" length that most are made to.  Or is some of it rifle specific like if you were specifically putting it on a Garand.

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there a "standard" length that most are made to.  Or is some of it rifle specific like if you were specifically putting it on a Garand.

It's more shooter specific rather than rifle specific. Do you have long/short arms and do you shoot across your face or with the rifle to the outside? After you have the sling and adjust it to YOUR length, measure it and order the next one to that length. For a first sling, order the longest they make and cut off whatever you consider excess (if any).
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more shooter specific rather than rifle specific. Do you have long/short arms and do you shoot across your face or with the rifle to the outside? After you have the sling and adjust it to YOUR length, measure it and order the next one to that length. For a first sling, order the longest they make and cut off whatever you consider excess (if any).

i am 6'9" I am shooting ar15 service rifle.   My web sling longest setting is in sitting position.
So do i just measure from the loop to the buckle, double that. then the length around my arm?

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 3:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i am 6'9" I am shooting ar15 service rifle.   My web sling longest setting is in sitting position.
So do i just measure from the loop to the buckle, double that. then the length around my arm?

You could get a piece of string and see what works then measure the string.  I'd bet the 50" would work for you though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm 5-9 and need the 56 in sling. Its about position. I use the exact same setting for sitting and prone. Didn't always, but I do now, and that can change later... I don't know.. Everyone is different.
Youll never sit there later wishing you had less sling, thats a fact, but you will be wishing you had more eventually if you ever modify or change position. If they had a 70 in one I'd have those. My JHW sling is over 60 and that little bit hanging out does not bother me at all, but its there if I ever need it. Having the frog in the last set of holes and not being able to seat the rifle has been a big bother. You can always trim it, but you can't put it on.... I think you see where I'm going with this. Better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it mentality..
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't sure what I length I would need when I got mine, so I just took a chance.  There was a guy with M14 slings and parts at his table at the last fun show.  I figured if it will fit on an M14 it will fit on my NMA4 AR15.  He didn't know how long they were, he said that he just ordered M14 slings from Springfield Armory.    

I just went and took some rough measurements of my sling.
The long piece is about 47" and the short piece is about 24".  The way I have it slung up now, it is just about right (or at least it seems to be long enough).  I have about two or three holes left to adjust longer if I need to and a whole lot of holes to go shorter.  

Since it seems to matter, I can tell you that I am 5'10" and use the same setting for sitting and prone.  I also wear a sweatshirt and light weight shooting jacket when I shoot.

I went to the Turner Saddlery site and clicked on the NM sling.  It says this:
National Match Service Rifle Sling Competition Sling made from 11oz strap leather, with numbered adjustment holes and a 50" strap for those who find the standard 48" length too short. Width is 1 1/4". Fashioned after the M1907 sling. Fitted with MilSpec Parkerized steel hardware and brass rivets. Short strap is stitched with bonded nylon thread to resist rot. Keepers are 7/8" wide and hand stitched. Longer sling lengths available at no extra cost! Sling comes with one pair of heavy grade competition keepers. Swivels will need to be purchased separately.

http://prostores3.megawebservers.com/turnersling_com/-strse-10/National-Match-Service-Rifle/Detail.bok

Based on that I probably have the "standard" 48" sling.  If you buy the 50" sling you should have at least three or four holes left for adjustment (assuming you are average height and using average shooting positions.)

EDIT:  I just read your post that says you are a giant.  I would recommend going with the 56".........For what it's worth, the leather sling will go through the front swivel, down to the other end, then hook onto itself.  If you try to have someone hold a fabric tape measure around your arm and gun while you are in position, I would have them hold the 1 on the front of your bicep, wrap around your arm, through the gun swivel, go back to the beginning of the tape, and then add 4 or 5 inches for the loop back.  That will tell you how long a sling you need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top