Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 10:00:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#1]

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

Originally Posted By Whitesmoke: Are there any online sources/websites that show the proper shooting positions/stances and proper use of a sling? Thanks for all the info....

Some pics on shooting positions

Using the M1907 leather sling

Using the M1 canvas sling

Or you can use the sling your ass is going to be in when the wife finds out how much all of this shit costs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By piccolo:

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

Originally Posted By Whitesmoke: Are there any online sources/websites that show the proper shooting positions/stances and proper use of a sling? Thanks for all the info....

Some pics on shooting positions

Using the M1907 leather sling

Using the M1 canvas sling

Or you can use the sling your ass is going to be in when the wife finds out how much all of this shit costs.

LOL......hopefully it won't be too bad at first. I already have the M1a. I hoped to get by for awhile with a cheaper or used coat and cheap spotting scope.....but she's used to my expensive hobbies... Drag racing and Guns have always been my main 2 hobbys anyways.
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Shot my first two highpower matches with an IHC garand, a crappy Russian spotting scope and one of those cheap foam rubber camping pads.
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By TRW:
Shot my first two highpower matches with an IHC garand, a crappy Russian spotting scope and one of those cheap foam rubber camping pads.

You youngsters have a lot of moxie griping about shooting Garands!

When I first started, we threw rocks!

Rocks!

You try throwing a rock 600 yards from a prone position!
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#5]
about half of the clubs here do cmp matches and the other half do Nra approved and registered matches which are also cmp clubs also which also make them at the same time if the club is registered with the cmp a cmp match.
Alot of clubs do the cmp matches as a way to interduce new shooters to the sport and make it alot more new shooter friendly compared to alot of the nra matches.
You have the leway to set up matches like the club wants.
It could be a old military match, garand match or just a standard 50 shot cmp course match.
The National's at Camp Perry is kinda split down the middle with the Nra week which the normal matches with sighters are held and then another week with cmp matches with NO sighters

Its easy as the cmp has a rule book and it states that any rules not covered in the cmp rule book refer to the NRA rule book.
What makes it nice is I know alot of clubs that either charge NO fees to shoot the cmp matches or the fees are very small like under $10 to defer the cost of the match.
The NRA matches ar usually more costly with the average match here running from a low of $15 to the more common $20 for a NRA match.
Just to start the NRA match the nra charges $4.50 per shooter for a approved match and usually nra approved matches give out a prize of cash , trophy's, medal or what ever the club decides and most clubs here give half back in prizes to the shooters and the other half gets split between the nra and the club or it works out very close.

Alot of clubs can not get a good turn out of shooters for a $20 fee and they do it for  the fun and to get folks involved.

I am a director at one club and we do nra approved and registered matches with usually between the high 20's to the low 40's and it is tailored to more serious shooters but we also conduct clinics and bring in a few new shooters in the mix every year. but I also vonlenteer at another club that does monthly cmp matches and I help them do 3 nra matches during the year and the turn out is small for the nra matches with a high of 11 shooters and a low of 5 while the cmp matches will run around 10 on a bad weather day to well over 30 shooters in the spring months
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with just going out there and doing it, but ask a few questions first.

When I first shot the CMP course years ago I was confident with my safety skills on a range, but lacking experience in a bonified match, I was a bit timid.  I took the time to review my FAQ with our range officer.

He explained very clearly safety issues and procedures at the line, how to load, bolt indicators, handling the weapon before, during and after a match.  He explained how to handle missfires, FTF, alibies, etc.  All in all my competitors were and have been very supportative. When I explained that I was the new kid on the block, they encouraged me, cheered for my efforts and very willingly tutored me in the finer points of HP.

The Pits...another area which needed a few questions answered, I asked, they answered and helped me along.

In the matter of equipment, talk to the shooters and find out what you need, as many of the posts have already stated, you don't need the best to get started, I've made do with a bit of home grown products.

I have met great people who enjoy the great sport of HP, I hope that I too have helped a few of the newbie's in getting over the first match gitters.

Keep'em in the X

Longtrain

Link Posted: 11/25/2004 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]
We do 4 clinics each year and each clinic is on the one position like 200 rapid sitting, 200 off hand, 300 rapid prone and 600 slow prone.

You get great instruction from a experienced shooter and they let you use their equipment or fill in with what you don't have. sometimes the jackets are not gonna fit but you get to use a scope, mat and everything else.
We provide either a rra's or bushmaster cmp rifle and the ammo for the day and you shoot , pull pits and score for others also so you get to learn alot.

You can use your own equipment if you wish but it kinda needs to be within the rules of the cmp, Garands, carbines or what ever just remember we have volenteer coaches for you and its nice to let us provide the ammo and rifle instead of  like a ak with a scope and muzzle brake if you understand. this is to teach you the sport of highpower.

Also what I have done is if you wish on I think two or three of the clinics we have a regular xtc 80 match the next day and if you let me know in time You can use the same rifle you used in the clinic the next day and the only cost above the regular match fee is a small fee for the ammo.

I do know at least 4 or 5 guys here that have coached in our clinics.

Thank you Jon Coppenbarger
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Urek, There will be a XTC match at Wren, Oregon this Sunday. We register at 8 and shoot at nine. If you are interested and you require directions, let me know.
John
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Is DCM just like qualifying for the usmc? Cuz it sounds a lot like it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By az-ar:
Is DCM NRA Highpower just like qualifying for the usmc? Cuz it sounds a lot like it.

Very similar.
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By TRW:

Rocks!

You try throwing a rock 600 yards from a prone position!

lol.....I guess that would be called REALLY slow fire.
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Rocks!

You try throwing a rock 600 yards from a prone p
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 10:14:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dah] [#13]
JJREA: Jim Owens www.jarheadtop.com holds highpower classes at the Racine WI range.  He can probably give you some leads if you contact him.  I shot at the Racine range last year and found the WI shooters friendly and helpful.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Im planning on trying this game out a little sometime next spring if Im not deployed at the time, Im in the process of building up a RRA lower and havent decided on what uppers I want to build for it yet, but Im planning on at least 3.  It will be my only AR lower, so its got to have some versatility, but I want to build a upper for it that will shine in this type of competition.  Ive already got the cardboard, oven mitt, and cheap binoculars, so I guess Ill be pretty tacted out on the range.  Im glad I found this post, lots of great info here for a new guy like me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#17]
While we're on this subject, I'd like to know why so many associate highpower rifle matches with the CMP exclusively?

One can only compete in FOUR CMP sanctioned Excellence in Competition matches a year, and one of those four has to be at Camp Perry.  If you don't go to Perry, you get to shoot at THREE CMP matches in a year.  That doesn't include the odd CMP Garand match here or there.

On the other hand, there are NRA sanctioned highpower rifle matches (with classes for both service and match rifles) in hundreds on clubs virtually every weekend of the year.  You can attend as many of those as you want.

Also, the CMP does not classify shooters.  There are no classes of shooters.  Only the NRA classifes shooters, and when someone talks of being classifed Expert, Master, High Master, etc, they achieved them by shooting NRA sanctioned high power rifle matches.

I wanted to clear that up for the newbies, lest they leave here not knowing who is it that sponsors the greatest majority of high power rifle matches in the US.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Just shoot which ever rifle you like,Iam a Garand shooter Some times I use my 03a3 I don't win matches I shoot for fun! at the age of 57 I don't see Iron sights as well as I used to, and getting into position is not easy,but I will not quit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
    ALL  YOU  GOTTA  REMEMBER      IS.........
                    ""the bang is the price of the shell----any satisfaction (OR MEAT) is extra"
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi Asa .  I'm start shooting again after almost two years of heavy work schedule support the front line.  Hope to see you again.  --Larry
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi piccolo,

Yep, I've been collecting gear for so many years I've forgotten what most of its for.  Matter of fact, I've been giving some of it away.  I'm still using the shooting mat I made from a piece of canvas I purchased at a material sales office when I was in the Army in 1965!  I just sewed a piece of neoprene roofing sheet to it and I'm still using it in 2005.  Had the same cloth coat and glove for years.  The glove (leather) is starting to crack and I have to rub neatsfoot oil into it once in a while.  I use GI canvas slings because they are comfortable and fast to adjust.  Get a REALLY GOOD RIFLE, spend the rest on ammunition.  HAVE FUN!

Props
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Would like to try some of this! Anybody in the Eugene,Or. area that would be willing to give me a "hands up" on this, I would appreciate it. I belong to the Isaac Walton range here locally, but am not aware they have any organized shooting such as you are describing. Own a Bushy M4, sling, mags, shooting jacket. Do some shooting, but haven't shot competitively since U.S.M.C. (30) years ago. Damn rifles we shot with back then (M-16, A-1's) wouldn't punch paper over 200 yards, so going out farther will be a new experience! Drop me an E-Mail if you have the time? [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 10:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Asa] [#23]

Originally Posted By Urek:
Would like to try some of this! Anybody in the Eugene,Or. area that would be willing to give me a "hands up" on this, I would appreciate it. I belong to the Isaac Walton range here locally, but am not aware they have any organized shooting such as you are describing. Own a Bushy M4, sling, mags, shooting jacket. Do some shooting, but haven't shot competitively since U.S.M.C. (30) years ago. Damn rifles we shot with back then (M-16, A-1's) wouldn't punch paper over 200 yards, so going out farther will be a new experience! Drop me an E-Mail if you have the time? [email protected]

www.ossa.org gives you a list of clubs with different disciplines.  Click on "Shooting Disciplines", then "High Power Rifle", then "Match Schedules".

Failing that, call Otto Weber (contact info at www.okweber.com)  Otto may not shoot over the course, but can get you hooked up with people that do.

Asa
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the great post,  I recently got interetested in trying this.  Question, I see several posts refere to a shooting jack.  What makes an ideal jacket?  Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
A shooting is supposed to do a couple of things simultaneously.  It is supposed to support your position, especially in standing.  It is supposed to insulate your sights from your pulse and heartbeat.  It provides recoil and elbow protection.  It also protects your arm from a tight sling.

Other than that, all it does is make you sweat and drain your wallet.  Creedmore and champion's choice are some of the better known current makers.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Dern this post brings back memories:  Good reading.  Maybe I can add some, maybe not.  I started NRA high power in 1978 I believe, witha a service grade M1A I bought new for $295.  I just showed up at a match with the rifle and some reloads.  Linked up with an old friend I knew from my railroading days.  He got me lined up with an old cloth shoothng jacket and glove.  I also ran across a Nat Guard guy, who knowing I was in the guard, wanted to start a guard team and thats whre it started.  Every year from then on I shot the Guard Championships in Little Rock until 1991.  

I ended up taking over the Alaska National Guard Marksmanship Unit and we (the guard guy I met at my first match) put together a hell of a program, traveling around the cournty shooting matches.

There is nothing like the comradship of high power shooters.  I finely got distingushed, (badge # 1071.  Then I retired my M1A and started with the match rifle.  

I bought my dcm M1 in the early 80s when they were $87.50.  The first time I fired a round out of it was in a match at K Bay, hawaii.  The gun did good but I had problems, I forgot my firm grip and bought some spray athesive.  On the 300 yd line, they said SHOOTERS RISE and it took three people to pry the shooting mat off me.

I think I enjoyed the 1000yd matches best.  After we got distingushed, my budy and I decided to take or dcm M1, to 29 palms for the 1000 yd match. He was scoring me, and I was doing pretty good until he spotted a coyote about 4-500 yards beyond the tarets.  Not being able to see the coyote, he directed me in with his scope, calling sight changes. I was able to shoot, and shift to my scope in time to see the bullet kick up dirt under the coyote, hey why not indirect fire with a M1.  I didnt get the coyote but it cost me about 90 pts. cause my coyote shots were scored as misses.  

Nothing more fun then a career in high power shooting. Take what you got, be safe and have fun, that is the only rules you need.
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Shooting Garand is cheaper than shooting AR's  190$ for 960rds of M2 ball ammo versus 300$ for1K of xm193 Camp Perry kicks ass
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Where can I buy 960rds of M2 ball ammo for 190$ today? I'd love to get some....
Link Posted: 1/17/2007 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#29]
At Camp Perry CMP store of course look on their website shipping is what gets ya at 32$ I live in central Ohio so a leisure drive to Camp Perry not a problem don't know were you are though
Link Posted: 1/17/2007 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Camp Perry CMP store has 960rds of ball M2 for 192$ shipping is 38$ in continental but 85$ for Alaska & Hawaii check CMP webpage for details ONCE AGAIN CAMP PERRY KICKS ASS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Great thread! I shot my first NRA High Power match yesterday. I showed up with a RRA Predator Pursuit, a bunch of throw-down gunshow ammo, and a smile! Thanks to a bunch of GREAT guys, they lined me out, adjusted my sling and got me pointed in the right direction. Thanks Darwin, Phuc, Ron and all the others who saved my day!

I finished with a 379-2x, and am COMPLETELY HOOKED! What a great time! Now I need some goodies! Glove, (I shot with a beatup work glove), cheap beginner jacket, and maybe a cart of some type.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Went to my first CMP match(JCG) 2 weeks ago with a couple of friends. We each had a Garand and a 2 round enbloc. Didn't know about spotting scope, glove, jacket or mat(used our coats) even had to borrow SLEDS, didn't know slow fire was loaded one at a time.
I was lucky enough to have a Distinguished Rifleman help me out. He showed me how to use the sling and told me where my shots were hitting with his scope, plus gave me some tips to try at home.
We had a GREAT time and will be going back for the next one, hopefully with a mat and scope.
We didn't win, but didn't come in last either, close but not last.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#33]
From a Clint Greenwood article:

"Service Rifle shooters are generally nicer, more upstanding, braver, handsomer and all around better people than Match Rifle shooters. (I shoot Service Rifle, by the way).

Unfortunately, the rumor that Service Rifle shooters don’t tend to their personal hygiene as well as Match Rifle shooters might have some small grain of truth in it.

One can generally tell a Match Rifle shooter from a Service Rifle shooter, without looking at their rifle, by how they navigate mud puddles. The Match Rifle shooter will march grimly right through the puddle, refusing to acknowledge the mud puddle, while the Service Rifle shooter will throw themselves face first in the puddle and wallow about a bit before low crawling through the deepest part.

If you see a shooter having a temper tantrum because of the existence of the  mud puddle, it probably is a displaced Smallbore shooter."

That about sums it up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:38:06 AM EDT
[#34]

JUST DO IT!!!!!

Show up with whatcha got, pay your match fee and shoot. You need one rifle and 2 magazines. Period.

That’s all there is to it.

Yeah, yer gonna be layin’ in the mud, and yeah, you ain’t gonna do as well as somebody that’s been doin’ it for years. That’s a given. But what did you expect? Are you really dumb enough to think you were going to ‘leg out’ at your first match? C’mon. Get real.

I recommend starting out at a 200 yard reduced course for a number of reasons. Mainly because you really don’t need a spotting scope if the target puller will use the 2 ½” spotting disk. You can see that with the naked eye from 200 yards. Still need a little help? A cheap pair of binoculars works great.

But…but… but…

But, nothin’. All that fancy gear don’t mean squat.

Few of us had much when we started. Most of us improvised.

Notice that it’s the older shooters that have a lot of the nicer gear. That’s because they’ve been collecting it for years. Among the younger guys that have nice gear there are 3 types.

First, there’s the rich. They generally have more money than brains or talent.

Then there’s the kind that made a lot of it themselves or borrowed it from their dads or are single.

Thirdly, there’s the kind that replace a mat every time it gets dirty or get a new scope every six months. These guys are pretty easy to spot. Go to his shack while his 6 kids are leaving for school. They’re the ones that are walking through the snow barefoot in worn out clothes with a burlap bag as an overcoat. But, By Golly, Dear old dad sure has some pretty neat gear!

First-class gear IS expensive. It takes time and sacrifice to save and accumulate gear. At least if you’re working class.

Still, if you’re there to improve yourself, all you need is a rifle that shoots better than you do, some ammo and a couple magazines.

One of our guys, Blind_Rat, is a High Master and he’s now shooting matches with a cheap kit rifle and a cheapie jacket. He can beat the pants off of a lot of us with that kit rifle. Of course, he CAN shoot somewhat better with his match rifle, but the point is that he gets pretty damned good scores with a kit (as-issued) rifle.

(He’ll tell you guys he shoots off a leopard skin mat, but the truth is that it’s really a mat he made from a leopard print piece of polyester he bought at Wally World. Don’t be fooled.)

And don’t let the lack of gear keep you from shooting!

Unless, of course, you are there for show. In which case, please don’t waste our time. Shooting ain’t a yacht club. Unlike many some of the boats you see at a yacht club, we USE out rifles.

As for expensive gear and highly modified rifles, get out and shoot the course a few times before buying ANYTHING. With the price of gear, you only want to buy it once. Take it from me. I accumulated my gear one piece at a time, and have thought out every single piece for quite a while before I shelled out my hard-earned cash. Still, as I WAS slowly accumulating my gear, I shot every chance I got.

Shooting is what we go to matches for.

I remember my first match. I showed up with an M-1 and some surplus ammo. I wandered in and found a guy that looked like me might be someone and simply said: “I want to shoot.”

He said, “I want your money. By the way, is this your first match?”

I told him it was and he shouted at a 12 year-old kid, “New guy! I’m puttin’ him next to you! Keep an eye on him!”

Smart move on his part. The kid got the responsibility of teaching a new shooter, and I learned the rules from him. Sharp kid. When I act as RO, I do the same thing. Last time, I put a new shooter next to a 13 year-old girl and gave her the same orders.

My second match I showed up with my M-1 and an oven mitt. I did better. Not because of the oven mitt, but because at least I had a clue as to how the match was run and I relaxed a bit.

Besides, I was now an EXPERIENCED shooter.

If you want to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk.

I showed up at my first high power match with a bone stock springfield M1A with all TRW parts and a barrel made in 1963, a few boxes of surplus port ammo and shot a 375.

The other long timers were pretty impressed. I had no spotting scope, jacket, mat, gloves, Didnt know I need two magazines. Had to borrow a sling and have them show me how to use it. Had no idea how to score my card or work the pit.

And had the best time. I still shoot the M1A. with surp ammo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Guys yall are some of the most helpfull people ive ever seen. Wish i would have visited this section before going out and shooting my first match. I show up with a Midway USA mat,fencing glove,sks sling,bone stock bushmaster,carhart shirt, and 80 rounds of PMC 55's. Guys at the match were more than willing to help me out with getting into position, setting up my sling, and telling me where i was hitting. Ended the day with a 403-1x. I got another match coming up this saturday. Hoping to get 2x's and learn even more about the sport.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been reading through this thread and it sure brings back memories of my early days shooting a service rifle. I was a young guy in the military and I didn't have a car and was too young to drink so there wasn't much to do. I read an article in the base paper describing the base rifle team and I wanted to join. I went down to the range and introduced myself to the Lt. in charge and said I wanted to shoot rifle. He handed me a 22 cal pistol directed me to the pistol range and said shoot this. I told him I really wanted to be a rifle shooter and he told me I could shoot a rifle as soon as I made Master with the pistol.

It took me a couple years to make Master with the pistol. This was back when the military only gave wad guns to their top Distinguished and Master class shooters. Everyone else shot hardball 45. I did eventually make Master shooting hardball and they allowed me to switch over and shoot a rifle. Did it help? I guess it did as I made Master in my first match. There was no High Master back then. If you were a supported military shooter you shot Service Master which became High Master later on. I shot an M1 Garand all through my military shooting career. The choice was an M14 or an M1 Garand and back then the Garand was the best choice.  

In 1967 they set up a special line at Camp Perry and everyone was allowed to shoot twenty rounds through an M16 as an introduction to the "new" service weapon. That evening, when everyone had completed firing they announced over the PA system that I had shot the high score for the day with the M16.  I guess that means that I was the first National Record holder with the M16 rifle even though I never fired one in competition.

I guess the point of all this is that learning to shoot a pistol is all about focusing on the front sight and smooth pressure on the trigger and shooting a rifle is the same.

Doug
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#37]
What a hoot!  This all brings back memories.  I haven't shot a match since 98, got kid poor and the Corps got cheap on teams.  Thinking about getting into it again as soon as I can build an upper that is legal, most of my AR's are tactical or hunting rigs now.  I shot at the Marine Corps Eastern Division Matches in 94 and had a blast and even finished in the upper third of over 200 shooters.  I was on the same target as Carlos 'Sonny' Hathcock III, nice guy, learned alot from him and our paths continued to cross during our Marine Corps career.  Anyway after shooting with GI issue gear and ammo I had a chance to fill in for a Navy shooter on a four man team at a local NRA match in 1998 while on assignment in the NAS Cecial Field/NAS Jacksonville area.  I used their gear and ammo, I was handed a nice match (double lug) M-1A and LC match ammo.  WOW what a difference top notch gear makes.  I did feel like a weeble firing the M-1A in rapid fire though. Oh the days of active duty free ammo and free guns.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SSgt82-02:
Carlos 'Sonny' Hathcock III, nice guy, learned alot from him and our paths continued to cross during our Marine Corps career.  

He just retired.

He was a damned good Marine in his own right, according to everyone I have spoken with.

I do not see how he managed to make a decent career while living in a shadow like that unless he had been one hell of a damned good Marine.

I saw a recent picture of him with a big fish he had just caught, he looked as pleased as punch!

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I showed up at my first match with ammo, two mags, eyewear, earwear, a work glove for my support hand, a golf glove for my trigger hand and .............. that's it.

The club provided everything else, rifle, coat, sling, mat, scope.

They could have even provided everything I listed first (ammo would have been at cost).

It was a combination of club gear, another shooter bringing some extra gear and sharing a scope and stand with yet another shooter.

Shot a 577/800

So call your local club.  You may not need anything to try it out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#40]
I think that's how most of us started out. Just go to your local club, front up and check it out, watch what's going down.
It won't take but a couple matches for someone to say "what the H are you doing just standing there for?" - and then...
it begins... heh heh...

No, seriously. Last month, after a long absence from shooting, I just showed up with a couple of friends from work, right into the middle of an impromptu club meeting where people were talking about how they needed more regular shooters.
Didn't take long to get into that conversation...

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:10:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Hmm, I'd like to start doing DCM, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to do Run-and-gun competitions. There's only one gun range that's doing any sort of rifle competition and that's what it is. At least there's a prize tho...

I also figured I'd like to get into it because deep down through all the tacti-cool rifles I like, I admire a simple AR or anyone who can accurately and precisely nail a target using irons. I guess I ought to start saving a little dough to get me an A2 service rifle. I aint gonna worry about getting a mat or anything, In fact, if I really did become that good I'd just assume that me and my rifle stay muddy. To me a work rifle with scratches and dirt gives it character. As for me being muddy, that would just show that I've been working hard.

But I do have one question...

Can you compete with a flat top (with carry handle) 16" carbine? If I can I might tear all the magpul stuff off my rifle, get some stock gear and give some 200 yard shooting a try.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#42]
For highpower and CMP matches, a rifle of the AR platform must be a M-16 close, meaning 20" Barrel, a2 stock and hand grip, but you can run an A2 upper or an A4 flat top WITH a removable A2 type sight
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR45fan] [#43]
I know this is about rifle shooting but:

I live about 40 minutes from Camp Perry.  Finally decided to get off my ass and go shoot.  In spring there was the Friends of Camp Perry pop-up pistol shoot.  I scored 40/40 on that one.  Then was the national matches.  I shot in the President's 100 with an off-the-shelf Remington R-1 (except grips, factory grips are too wide but an Army armorer gave me a set so I could compete ).  I scored VERY poorly but I'll be back next year.  Just go do it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dnmccoy:
For highpower and CMP matches, a rifle of the AR platform must be a M-16 close, meaning 20" Barrel, a2 stock and hand grip, but you can run an A2 upper or an A4 flat top WITH a removable A2 type sight

Can I free float a 20" barrel with a commercial tube, as long as I use GI sights? I am old, and I cannot see like I used to, but I would like to give this a try.

I saw this upper, and wondered if I built my own, and since free floating a barrel looks legal, Think I could build one with a regular float tube for much less money.

I shot competition with a Model 604 rifle in the Air Force, and you could move the point of aim a good 2 inches at 100 yards using just a hasty sling. Free floating is a good idea.

Link Posted: 12/23/2011 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By dnmccoy:

Can I free float a 20" barrel with a commercial tube, as long as I use GI sights? I am old, and I cannot see like I used to, but I would like to give this a try.

I saw this upper, and wondered if I built my own, and since free floating a barrel looks legal, Think I could build one with a regular float tube for much less money.

I shot competition with a Model 604 rifle in the Air Force, and you could move the point of aim a good 2 inches at 100 yards using just a hasty sling. Free floating is a good idea.

The White Oak is an example of the finest SR competition rigs around. Hard to compare the two, but you sound more interested in the possibility of floating an existing Gov't profile rig to get the sling tension off the bbl.
That will work just fine, the float tube hardware is available from more than one source but isn't standardized. They all like to handle the sling mount area a little different. Other than that, they all give the same results.

You may have to gunsmith the zone near the bottom of the front sight base and sling swivel just a little to insure a gap. Talk to whomever you purchase from to get the skinny on their installation details.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#46]

You're restricted to either an under-hand-guard float tube or a rail (CMP rule change as of this year).  The first option is the better one.  

One of the round steel float tubes that replaces the hand-guard would not be legal.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the replies. I don't like the cheese grater rail tubes, so I will explore the other options.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the replies. I don't like the cheese grater rail tubes, so I will explore the other options.

The railed tubes are suboptimal for this sport anyway.  You just need a tube that fits inside the handguard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By jcs1:

You're restricted to either an under-hand-guard float tube or a rail (CMP rule change as of this year).  The first option is the better one.  

One of the round steel float tubes that replaces the hand-guard would not be legal.  

We can have a rail now?  Like  Daniel Defense 12.0 rail as on the SDM rifles?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Renn:

We can have a rail now?  Like  Daniel Defense 12.0 rail as on the SDM rifles?

Rule 6.2.3 (14) in the 2011 CMP rulebook.

I wouldn't want one.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top