Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2008 8:55:23 PM EDT
My son is a Wolf Cub, and has already demonstrated proficiency with an air rifle at Scout Camp, with a bolt-action 22 rifle, and with a 9mm AR15.  However, all of these rifles have been too big for him.

I'd like something with a very short LOP that we can use with a pellet trap in the back yard for prone target practice.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT.

Link Posted: 4/1/2008 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My son started with a Crickett from Keystone Arms.  Inexpensive, with a basic peep sight and scope mount.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By DavidC:
My son started with a Crickett from Keystone Arms.  Inexpensive, with a basic peep sight and scope mount.

That looks pretty nice . . . except that it's a FIREARM.  I need something just like that, but that is an AIR RIFLE.  I only have 2 acres, and the town and my neighbors might take exception to us firing a 22 in the backyard.

I truly appreciate this reference though, because I might look into one of these as well!
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 12:14:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidC] [#4]
Well you don't mention in your OP that you are looking for an air rifle.

You can cut down any of the inexpensive air rifles to fit him; the problem is that a 7 year old will likely not have the upper body strength to cock a spring piston gun, so you''ll need to find a CO2 powered gun for him to shoot.

or just thread the barrel of any child size 22 and get a supressor; that will deal with the noise. the loudest part with the right ammo will be the bullet striking the trap.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By DavidC:
Well you don't mention in your OP that you are looking for an air rifle.

Look at the subject topic . . .

You can cut down any of the inexpensive air rifles to fit him; the problem is that a 7 year old will likely not have the upper body strength to cock a spring piston gun, so you''ll need to find a CO2 powered gun for him to shoot.

Very interesting.  What would a good CO2 rifle be?

I like the look of the Daisy Avanti (the cheap one), but that's a lever-cocker.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 12:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidC] [#6]

Originally Posted By ShakenNotStirred:

Very interesting.  What would a good CO2 rifle be?

I like the look of the Daisy Avanti (the cheap one), but that's a lever-cocker.

I don't know who makes an inexpensive CO2 gun anymore.

I'd still vote fror a Cricket and a couple of bricks of Colbri 22.  No powder, only primer and almost no noise from a 16 inch barrel . They are actually quieter than a 1000 fps air rifle, and have less range
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Crosman 760. $40 and accurate. He may have trouble cocking it at first but once he gets used to it, he'll have no problem.

I do like the idea of a Cricket and tons of ammo too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
My 8 year old shoots a savage cub, the overall quality of the gun is far better than a cricket. It is a single round rifle but has the accutrigger of the larger rifles , and it is VERY accurate. It is only about $20 more than the cricket. Just pick up some sub sonic ammo and your down to, if not below the sound level of a 1000 fps air rifle.

Great job getting your boy into the sport.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
post whoring.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 11:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garandsrus] [#10]
Hi,

The Daisy Avanti is available in either single cocking or CO2.  Look at the CMP Site for a great price.  I bought the rifle for my boys and it shoots very well.  The only effort required is to manipulate the bolt and it's very easy.

DAISY M888 .177 CO2 SPORTER AIR RIFLE
ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
DAISY M888 Daisy M888 $257

Sales are restricted to members of CMP affiliated clubs only.
(must provide membership card or have card on file).
Rifle includes 5899 rear sight assembly, 1 ¼” new nylon sling, 99Z/163912-000 front sight inserts (sizes .140, .150, .160, .170 & one post), one 5862 CO2 2.5 oz. cylinder, 5860 rail includes bracket and thumb stop screw and three butt stock inserts.

John
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By garandsrus:

The Daisy Avanti is available in either single cocking or CO2.  Look at the CMP Site for a great price.  I bought the rifle for my boys and it shoots very well.  The only effort required is to manipulate the bolt and it's very easy.

John,

Thanks for the great info.  Sadly, I am now overseas, and my children are generally prohibited (by the Germans) from handling or shooting any firearms, and in most cases, air guns.

While I was still in CONUS, I eventually got a Spike's Tactical ST-22 that both of my sons spent some quality time with.

SNS
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Crickett .22 ..... My four year old daughter already has one. And does very well with it. To me, Air rifles are good for plinking in the back yard if you have the room. Or for pesky squirrels that keep eating the vegetable garden.

I prefer to teach with a real rifle..

Oh, AND the Crickett does offer an adult stock for later in life. That rifle can last a lifetime. When my daughter finally inherits Grandpa's 10/22, I will get a thumb hole target stock for the Crickett and enjoy that rifle too.

Till then, I have to ask to shoot the Crickett. Hmmph..
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#13]
I imagine the Avanti, even with the buttplate spacers removed, will be too big for a 7-year-old.

Whenever I see this question asked, I wish Crosman still made the model 180 (which was a youth size C02 rifle they made back in the 1960s). You might be able to find one at one of the airgun forums.

Otherwise, Crosman offers their 2xxx series C02 single shot pistols with a buttstock and carbine length barrels (no SBR issues with airguns). One of those would probably fit a little tyke pretty well, and will always have a place in an airgun collection. If you don't see exactly what you want, go to the Crosman Custom Shop website and have them build it for you.

You might ask your question here: Yellow Forum, Just don't post a WTB ad in the discussion forum or ask a question in the Classifieds forum. They take that pretty seriously.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nemesis61] [#14]
Crosman 1377C with the buttstock attachment.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-1377-pump-pistol.shtml
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By longranger1:
My 8 year old shoots a savage cub, the overall quality of the gun is far better than a cricket. It is a single round rifle but has the accutrigger of the larger rifles , and it is VERY accurate. It is only about $20 more than the cricket. Just pick up some sub sonic ammo and your down to, if not below the sound level of a 1000 fps air rifle.

Great job getting your boy into the sport.

Our Savage cub has gone through three boys so far, and is still shooting well. They go back to it for fun sometimes, and sort of miss it.   Two of them will be shooting reduced course matches early next year, and the other is thinking about if he wants to put the time into highpower.

As far as airguns, the CO2 guns are your best bet. The kid (and parent) gets frustrated with hard to cock rifles, and having to hand it back and forth is not ideal.  We have also used the really low powered Colibri ammo in the cub in the yard, it is quieter than the airgun.  The super Colibri is still too loud for the yard, but the plain one is great. The plain ones will get stuck in a longer barreled CZ 452 some of the time though.  But are fine in the Savage cub.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRONZ] [#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#17]
+ 2  !!  my 4 year old loves her pink Cricket and a couple of bricks of Colbri 22. No powder, only primer and almost no noise from a 16 inch barrel .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top