Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2015 11:29:42 PM EDT
I have only fired a shotgun for about two rounds of trap and one of skeet forty years ago,  I think I used a Winchester 1100.  I don't know.  The Warden (Wife) has never fired a shotgun.  So I have signed us up for this four day course as I know they will start with the fundamentals,
I did little, okay no research when I bought the two shotguns in the past.  I have a Remington 887 Nitro mag as it was the only 'tactical' style shotgun in stock when I was looking.  Later I got the Mossberg 930 which she will use.  Both are 12 gauge
They had us buy 250 round of birdshot, 75 rounds of buckshot and 65 slugs for each of us  (780 rounds total) so I expect we will shoot a good bit.
Anyone here been to the course before?  We are going heck or high water. just curious
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a good class.  If time allows I would recommend taking the rifle class first.  It is easier to learn to mount your long gun in the rifle class than shotgun.  Once you are off your shoulder would hurt for days and affect your other learning while in the class.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:56:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pandaz3] [#2]
Well we had the first day, and it is different from the rifle course for sure.  I did not notice much recoil, but we have only used birdshot so far.  The 930 was not working for the Warden as she leaned in it was too much reach to the trigger.  We rented a Mossberg 590 with Magpul stock and she seems to handle it better..  The Pump is pretty foreign to her (And me) so we are learning new things.  We won't allow it to get to intense for us with the Shotguns, we don't care if we qualify, The Rifle course is more important to both of us.  (We dis take that one before and did 'okay' but now with a better bore sight zero to start with, different guns, my cataract surgery on firing side eye done now, better optics, Well we are hoping to do better'

I don't know if it is me or my shotgun, but I have ad a few lockups with My Remington 887.  I thought I had oiled it well enough, but I have it drenched now.  I broke my left elbow three weeks ago and it still is pretty weak so it might be the reason.. I can always switch to that Mossberg 930.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Well in case some one follows who wants to go to Front Sight's course, let me add.  We only did two days.  The wife did not want to continue.  If we had a fitted shotgun for her in the first place, maybe different.  She was happy that she learned how to operate a shotgun, the difference between, birdshot, buckshot, and slugs.  She was real happy with two days, but unwilling to continue as she wanted to shoot her rifle course.  The shotgun was beating her up.  She has now mentioned getting a youth model 20 gauge.

I enjoyed all of it and was looking forward to the real shooting that comes in the last two days.  I had only had a touch of trap and skeet in the late sixties,had never shot buckshot or slugs.  While I could have done that much locally, the two days were an enjoyable learning experience.

I did learn that I don't like the reliability of my Remington 887 Nitro. I only have around 175 rounds thru it, but it does not always cycle, as in locks up.  It did give me some real world malfunction practice,.  Once a round is chambered it is a pleasure to shoot with respect to recoil.  I ended up using that Mossberg 930, IT makes me all happy.

We recommend Front Sight shotgun courses
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well in case some one follows who wants to go to Front Sight's course, let me add.  We only did two days.  The wife did not want to continue.  If we had a fitted shotgun for her in the first place, maybe different.  She was happy that she learned how to operate a shotgun, the difference between, birdshot, buckshot, and slugs.  She was real happy with two days, but unwilling to continue as she wanted to shoot her rifle course.  The shotgun was beating her up.  She has now mentioned getting a youth model 20 gauge.

I enjoyed all of it and was looking forward to the real shooting that comes in the last two days.  I had only had a touch of trap and skeet in the late sixties,had never shot buckshot or slugs.  While I could have done that much locally, the two days were an enjoyable learning experience.

I did learn that I don't like the reliability of my Remington 887 Nitro. I only have around 175 rounds thru it, but it does not always cycle, as in locks up.  It did give me some real world malfunction practice,.  Once a round is chambered it is a pleasure to shoot with respect to recoil.  I ended up using that Mossberg 930, IT makes me all happy.

We recommend Front Sight shotgun courses
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:42:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnStoner] [#5]
Thanks for the write up and info. I've done several pistol courses and rifle courses and enjoyed the training and challenge of the skills tests. I'll be attending the 4 day tactical shotgun soon.

I'm curious - do they do slug zeroing with the shotgun like they do in rifle (zero the weapon).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top