Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2013 9:13:22 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a concise video showing step by step reloading from a side saddle?  I have been practicing with my 870 but I'm inconsistent.  I think it's because I am not using the correct handling of the shell from the side saddle to the port.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snowman38] [#1]
Just decide wether you want to go weak hand over or under and place the shells accordingly.

For a combat reload  I go under, so I place the shells in the saddle from the bottom.  When I reach for one ill use my index finger to push the shell down while using my pinky to support the bottom of the brass.  Once I have it flush with the top of the saddle I use my ring finger and thumb to pull it the rest of the way out.  

I'll then hold the shell with my pinky and index finger while my middle finger and ring finger cradle it.  

I stick my thumb straight out and I use it a a guide the " slap" the round into the  open ejection port.  This is done weak hand, right side up.  

For a complete reload I roll the gun and press up on the shells with my pinky or ring finger if they are sitting to low to grab easily.  I grab them between my middle and index fingers and use my thumb on the base for support.  I pull them out position them nose down on the gate  and use my thumb to drive the shell in, once it starts to enter the mag tube I pull my middle finger in and use my index finger as a guide along the top and I rotate my wrist and thumb like a lever to seat the shell past the detent.  Repeat till full, rotate and go.   This is done strong hand.  

Just go slow and practice getting them in there consistently. Don't worry about a proper technique as much as finding a safe and consistent way that works for you. You're going to tear up your thumbnails and cuss a lot but in time you'll be impressively fast.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I run a Velcro sidesaddle with cards and put the shells on there with the brass facing down.  Shorter movement from the side saddle to the loading gate in my opinion.  Do you have video of how you are handling the reloads?  I pull one shell at a time and into the loading gate and so on until the card is empty then pull it off as I'm going for another card from a TACO pouch.  Some guys have the dexterity and large enough hands to do two or more rounds at a time.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The magpul shotgun video is pretty comprehensive
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything by Greg Cruz.

Here's a video that deals with your question directly, but you can watch this guy's videos all day long.

Greg Cruz.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Good info, I've never tried doing it with my strong side hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top