Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems like the major reason to keep the gun in cruiser ready condition is purely for safety. The possibility that someone may be dissuaded from their actions by the sound is a potential benefit. Depending on the situation it might cause the bad guy to run off and reconsider his life choices which would be the best outcome for all. On the other hand it could get you or a loved one killed by giving an armed bad guy warning that you are coming.

What if the bad guy hears that sound and gets really spooked? He is so afraid that you are about to kill him that he pulls his own gun and starts firing through the wall at wherever he thinks the sound might have come from? In a worst case scenario (armed bad guy or guys) I want every advantage I can get because I don't want this SOB to have an opportunity to do anything except die.

Personally I keep my gun in cruiser ready will a tube full of reduced recoil 00 because I am more concerned with an accident than encountering a bad guy. If I felt I was likely to need to defend myself with that weapon I would have it fully loaded with only the safety on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I spoke with a policeman once who was shot during a crime spree by a man who had killed a homeowner after hearing him rack a shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 11:24:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric10mm] [#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#4]
After 11 pm I want change my door bell to an external speaker with the sound of my shotgun racking  yes I'll need a speaker on the porch
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it gives them the chance to dodge you're shot. If they hear me racking then that means I missed the first time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had one break in in my life, living in colorado springs.  I heard the door open at 0 dark 30.  I grabbed my AR and yelled very loudly, "Get out of my house or I am going to fucking kill you"

I think that was as effective as racking a shotgun slide.

Based upon the footprints outside my door in the snow, he was running very quickly when he left.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eric10mm:
I don't buy that argument.

At the moment I have made the decision to raise my gun onto the target I have already determined that firing is the course of action that is being immediately implemented.  For me there is no pause between lining up the sights and pressing the trigger.  That decision has already been made.
View Quote
you assume that you take such action when confronted with the individual.  houses in the wee morning are quite quiet.  
A warning is given before coming face to face, to let the unknown individual understand that he is now betting his life on whatever he hoped to gain.

YOu might hear, "Dad, its me!"
You may hear a drunken, slurred, "i thought this was my house"
You may hear a hasty retreat.

Or you may hear nothing.  At which point you can proceed in a more aggressive manner.  

I am more scared of shooting someone who is family or not a threat.  I also have a dog that barks when strangers come to the door.  So layered defense.

But the idea of presenting a warning, in an area you are intimately familiar with in a way an intruder is not is not an inherently bad COA in my opinion.

I also believe the shotgun is a foolish choice tactically for any number of reasons.  But giving an audible warning that an intruder is now at risk of dying I think has some benefits.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SandWMandP15Tee:
I keep my Mossberg emtpy with 8 rounds of 00 buck on the side saddle. I have a family and prefer not to have any weapons with one in the chamber.
View Quote
I considered that, and then decided to train my family instead of opting to disable my weapons.

Every one of them knows that if there is a firearm present, it is loaded, chambered and on safe. They also know to leave them alone.

I trained my son up, from a very early age to respect firearms and use them safely. As a consequence, at 21, he is now one of the safest and most responsible gun handlers I know, and I trust him far more than most other adults we encounter on the range.

My baby daughter is going to receive the same introduction and training that my son received, and I hope she takes an active interest in shooting, but even if she doesn't, she will have a good basic foundation on weapons handling and no silly, irrational fear of weapons.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#9]
"..giving an audible warning that an intruder is now at risk of dying I think has some benefits."

Agreed, as long as you understand some of the disadvantages.

Like you have just revealed what you are armed with, and your relative location/distance to the intruder.

If it's just a mischievous, misguided neighborhood kid who is easily rattled, not so bad for you and yours.  If it is more than one determined, cold hearted criminal sob, not so good.  YMMV at all points in between.

One size does not fit all.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#10]
As a life long avid duck and goose hunter, we are only allowed by law to use shotguns with capacity restricted to one in the barrel and 2 in the magazine.  
Because of this, we always keep our shotguns loaded, and stuff rounds in as soon as possible after firing when hunting. I am used to having my shotgun on the ready with the safety being the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. I have 2 home defense shotguns. One upstairs, and one downstairs. Racking one of my shotguns would only serve to throw away the round in the barrel.  

Nothing scares a bad guy as much as the orange flash of a shotgun gun going off, and the feeling of buckshot tearing through their body. You may only get one chance to save you and your loved ones. Make it count. Just don't shoot them in the back if they're running away, or on the bottom of their arms if their hands are in the air.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By olekennyroy:

After I read this, I wanted to go slam my head in a car door repeatedly.  Let me point out why this is a horrible idea.

1.  Best case scenario, you kick the shit out of Mr. 120 lb. Crackhead.  You break his jaw, a few ribs, smash his eye socket, knock his teeth out.

You have not only exposed yourself to what ever diseases this vermin is carrying, you have opened yourself up to legal and civil suit.  You evidently were not in fear for your life, since you did have a gun and didn't use it.  You merely wanted to take the law into your own hands, and teach Mr. Crackhead a lesson, while your wife held a gun on him.

2.  Mr. Crackhead is armed, and shoots, stabs, slashes you.

Your wife may be armed, but now she is emotional, and you are wounded and fighting with the target she needs to shoot. Plus all of the other reasons stated in scenario 1.

3.  Mr. Crackhead is not alone.

While you are dealing with Mr. Crackhead, his buddy Mr. Rockhead pops out of the shadows.  He may jump in to help, or he may attack your wife.  She may get a shot off, she may not.  Plus all of the other reasons stated in scenario 1&2.

I could go on, but I won't.

Bottom line is you should be in the mindset to kill an intruder, because there is a lot on the line.  Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
View Quote

I've been surprised how many times I've heard this lately.  Even people opining how it's immoral and illegal to shoot someone that's forced their way into your home.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#12]
If they scamper off after a rack warning they'll now know you've got a 12 gauge they can break in and steal
when you're not home.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top