Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2010 10:22:56 PM EDT
Messed around with shotguns for the past 8 years or so, always running borrowed or rented gear.  Well now I want to get my own skeet/trap/5stand gun and I am looking for suggestions that wont cripple the bank.  I have a hard time believing that a decent skeet gun starts at 1500 or more.  I've always been in love with the over under, but an autoloading would be fine.  

I've had the misfortune of a Remington 1100 that wouldnt eat anything other than high brass

Also worked with a Urika 391 and a DT-10.  Both were fine weapons and went bang every time.  

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
try to find a Beretta 301, 302, 303 series gun. Stocks on skeet guns are a hair higher than field guns but not much. If you find one with choke tubes good,  if not look for a 28" vent rib with an improved cylinder choke, (apx .006")  The old Super X 1 winchesters are a good choice as they had steel receivers but a little tougher to find.   Good luck! TG
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the Beretta 686 silver pigeon guns. I shot my first perfect round with mine.
Scott
www.centerfiretraining.com
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot skeet with my old Sears side by side.  I also shot perfect scores.  My point is you don't need to spend a ton of money on a gun.  Just go out and practice and have a good time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak] [#4]

Originally Posted By esob64:

I shoot skeet with my old Sears side by side.  I also shot perfect scores.  My point is you don't need to spend a ton of money on a gun.  Just go out and practice and have a good time.

This is what it all boils down to. If you're having trouble with your 1100 not cycling with anything but high brass, there's something wrong with it. Make sure that's the action slides and whole reciprocating assembly it's thoroughly lubricated. I used to have cycling problems with my 1100, but found when I actually lubricated it well, it would cycle without a problem.

Go stalk up on 100 bulk packs from Walmart and have at it. The only way you're going to improve skill is be shooting.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My old Remington 1100 (1975 vintage) was hit and miss as far as reliable cycling.  I put in the updated piston and a new o-ring about ten years ago, and have ran thousands of trouble free rounds.  Lubrication is also good, but no need to over do the lube.  In my opinion it is an awsome skeet gun.
P.S. also make sure your gas port isn't clogged.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep an eye out for older Browning Citori's or SKBs.  Around here they can be had for under $1k at times.  I have also seen Benelli 20ga semi autos for less than $1500.  Cabelas will have decent used Citori's from time to time as well.

I've only been shooting skeet for two years.  I tried it at my club one day on a lark, with a m1S90....not quite the right equipment for the job.   Ghost ring sights don't work their magic on skeet.

But I did have fun!  I went right over to Wally World and bought a Mossberg Silver Reserve over and under for a few hundred bucks.  I shot that for a month or two.  I happened across an older gentleman at my range who offered to let me shoot his SKB and Kreighoff over and unders.  Wow.  What a difference.  The fit and feel of those shotguns were amazing.  I ended up trading the Mossy in on a Browning Cynergy.  

One of the best things to do is hook up with someone that can help 'fit' the shotgun to you.  My old timer at the range helped me out.  I'm glad I spent the extra cash on the adjustable comb.

I was in your boat initially as well.  I didn't want to drop the cash on 'simple' shotgun.  After being around guys who really knew the skeet/trap game and trying their equipment out I saw the proverbial light.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot my pheasant gun for skeet: Ruger Red Label 28" 20 ga. it works great and keeps me sharp for birds!
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
The new Beretta A400 series would be great.  Very versatile gun so you can do anything with it.  Get a silver pigeon if you are looking for an over and under.  The difference in price and model numbers for the Silver Pigeon just means more elaborate engraving and higher grade wood.  Also the Beretta AL391 Teknys is a machine for shooting clays.  The A400 and Silver Pigeon will allow you to shoot clays, birds, or whatever with a good set of chokes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Belfry_Express:
Messed around with shotguns for the past 8 years or so, always running borrowed or rented gear.  Well now I want to get my own skeet/trap/5stand gun and I am looking for suggestions that wont cripple the bank.  I have a hard time believing that a decent skeet gun starts at 1500 or more.  I've always been in love with the over under, but an autoloading would be fine.  

I've had the misfortune of a Remington 1100 that wouldnt eat anything other than high brass

Also worked with a Urika 391 and a DT-10.  Both were fine weapons and went bang every time.  

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Usually an 1100 with those issues is a Magnum 1 port barrel. That's expensive to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Autoloader - Beretta A391

OU - Price is the limit, my advice is to buy a quality gun with less features rather than get a lesser gun with more "stuff" ie (adj comb, adj LOP, ect).

P.S. - You need a gun that will cycle the cheap loads as you will have to shoot alot to get good. If your doing it for recreation then not such a big deal but if your serious the $ adds up with expensive ammo. That or start reloading.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I did borrow the Rod and Guns Winchester 101 long ago in Germany for several rounds of skeet.  Thats been the only O/U that I've used.  I like S/Ss and been shooting skeet with my Russian Baikal 28" hammer gun as that's my field gun when hunting.  However, for my deciated skeet shooting (used to shoot 3 times a week) was my old 1948 dated Browning A5 with a 20" cyl bore.  Did manage to break the firing pin in Germany back in 89' but its been going strong since I sent it back to FN for a new one.

CD
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#12]
The option on the low 300 series berettas mentioned above is a good one.  Around here they pop up every so often in the $500 dollar range.  I shoot a 303A for sporting clays and skeet and find it to be more reliable than a lot of brand spanking new "fancy" autos, despite being more than 20 years old and having sustained a lot of duck hunting abuse.  For cheap O/U's you might look into some of the lower end franchis or the mid to higher end stoegers.  Ultimately things boil down more to shooting a gun you are comfortable with and have put the practice time in on.

I also would not discourage you from looking at pump actions.  I enjoy shooting my benelli nova, especially during warm months.  They just require a little more practice on timing, but save you a fair bit on initial cost and future malfunctions.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I stole this from a post in the armory and it's so good it deserves a repost

Originally Posted By NDWoods:
Brother there are a plethora of great semi autos out there and which one anyone here suggests is almost irrelevant. Your primary need is to fine the one that fits you the best. You point a shotgun when shooting moving targets, not aim, and it has to shoot where you are looking. That only happens when one fits you.

Get some help if this is something you are new at. A local shooting club or the off chance you come across someone who is a dealer and knows a thing or two about shotgun fit. Beretta, Benelli, Remington, Winchester, Browning, all make good semi-autos. There are others as well but these are some of the more popular.

Even some of the semi-autos that are adjustable to fit do not fit a large percentage of people within their adjustment range. Get some help with the fit and you will save time, money, and frustration.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By seamasterpro:
I shoot my pheasant gun for skeet: Ruger Red Label 28" 20 ga. it works great and keeps me sharp for birds!

This but mines a red label 12 ga. skeet over skeet.
And I have a couple of 400's on it.
Nothing better than smoking a perazzi or Kreighoff guy with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Benelli Supersport is the only way to go in my book. Adjustable comb and length of pull. It is a very realiable action with a ported barrell and a great choke setup. I love not having to have a wrench. That is the best shotgun for the money. You can find them on gun broker for 1300 used which I think is a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I use my Remington 870 for skeet.  Consistantly hit 20+/25.  Cheap gun, eats any ammo, accurate, cheap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#17]
The Beretta 390 series are excellent weapons.  I prefer the original 390.  It had a little wider forend on it.  Any of the 391's before the Teknys came into being are also good.  Your best bet for an all around gun would be a 30 in. barrel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I just scored my first 25 on skeet with a 20" 870 pump. I was looking at a new gun till now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Just picked up this 1980 citori trap for under 900. It's in like new condition.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got a Stoeger Competition model and love it! I wouldn't say its as nice as those guns that are $1500 and up but it is definitely not a bad gun as people say it is. I used my Remington 870 for trap, which it is great for but I wanted something for skeet shooting also. I was thinking about getting a semi auto but decided to get this instead as I love the feel of it, which is ultimately the most important factor in selecting your gun. I could have gotten a more expensive one but don't think its necessary as my Stoeger gets the job done. Just get something that feels good in your hands and you will be fine
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm just getting into clays myself..  Went to WalMart and came home with a Mossberg 535.  Should do just fine...
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#22]
A semiauto is nice for skeet although any open bore gun will do except one with a real short barrel (I suspect).
I have used a Remington 1100in 20 ga. with a skeet choke when I was involved with clay target shooting and was very happy with it.

F
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#23]
If you guys like trap/skeet you should go see if you can find a sporting clay course those are a blast.  Odd angles, leads are different every station and you have to figure them out, break points change every thrower, you can shoot "rabbit" clays that skip across the ground, etc.

You can use any shotgun for clays but there is a fairly significant difference on an "official" trap gun since they are setup to shoot high on purpose, they do that various ways (with different raised sight rails higher at one end, high combs,etc).  Also the break distance is set very specific and they are generally setup for optimal pattern.  You can definitely shoot trap with any gun (I use my M2 with 10round shell extender) but depending on the club they may look at you funny :)
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#24]
My favorite skeet/trap gun is the Beneilli Montefeltro. It has always eaten anything i have thrown in, very light recoil, and points perfectly for me. The price tag of just over 1K is hard to beet too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By timmy_mpls:
I just scored my first 25 on skeet with a 20" 870 pump. I was looking at a new gun till now.

What choke did you use with your 870? I'm looking at using mine until I get something more suited.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jcast141:
Originally Posted By timmy_mpls:

What choke did you use with your 870? I'm looking at using mine until I get something more suited.

If you are just starting out, or are still pursuing that elusive 25, an open choke like Cylinder, Skeet or Improved Cylinder is more forgiving.

Once your technique improves you will find that an open choke becomes less relevant.   I prefer to shoot with a tight choke all the time as it helps me with my focus, and by watching the breaks I can dial in my lead.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#27]

First, let me state that I am nothing even remotely close to a good skeet shooter, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I own a Benelli Super Black Eagle (choked to Imp Cyl) which I absolutely love.  I also own a stock Saiga 12 which I brought to the range just to have some fun and because my dad was visiting and using my SBE.  I shot ~20 avg with the Saiga and ~19 avg with the SBE pretty consistently.

Now, I'm definitely not bragging about the scores since it had been about 6 years since I last shot skeet, but I'm trying to point out that even though one gun is clearly better designed for shooting birds, I didn't shoot much different between the two.  

My problem seems to stem from when I start over thinking my actions.  When I swing and shoot on an empty brain, I get a nice puff of clay.  When I try to think about how much to lead, I'm almost always chasing them.  I think the Saiga being much heavier to pull didn't give me that millisecond of extra time to think "am I leading enough", but who knows.

YMMV of course, but some of the rounds that I sat and watched people with $3k+ guns shoot in the low 20's made me start to question how important the gun is for most people at a non-professional level.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Try one of these.  Be aware they come dry as a bone, so you'll need to break it down and give it a good lube job.  Other than that, it's a damn fine O/U for less than $500.  Toss in a couple Briley skeet chokes and you're all set.

I've probably put 1000 rounds through mine, and haven't had a single problem.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I picked up a Stoeger M3500 for $549 and have been pleasantly surprised. Roughly 400 rounds through the gun with no stoppages. I thoroughly cleaned the gun when I brought it home, CLP'ed it, ran two boxes of high brass through it and have been shooting Remington club loads ever since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top