Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2010 9:10:42 PM EDT
Picked up a Remington TAC4 that I will be using for 3 gun. Im going to be needing some low recoil rounds. What seems to be the best option for slugs and 00 buck?
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
Picked up a Remington TAC4 that I will be using for 3 gun. Im going to be needing some low recoil rounds. What seems to be the best option for slugs and 00 buck?

Do your stages require buck and slugs?  Not all matches call for it, and some may not let you use them.

But if you do need them...

Rio Royal LR 00 buck is decent and relatively cheap but doesn't have the best patterns around.  If you want good patterns, most report excellent patterns with Federal Law Enforcement  LR 00 Buck, either the LE132 or LE133 loads.

I like Federal TruBall Low Recoil Slugs, load PB127LRS.  These patterned well out of my SX2 with an IC choke.

For practice, you might want a cheaper slug like the Winchester Super-X slugs from Wal-Mart.

As always, YMMV.  Pattern your loads in your gun using a variety of chokes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any specific recommendations but I like to use Remington Slugs and Federal Buckshot.  That gives me two different hull colors so I know green is slug and maroon is buck.  Makes is quick to tell what you're grabbing to load.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
I don't have any specific recommendations but I like to use Remington Slugs and Federal Buckshot.  That gives me two different hull colors so I know green is slug and maroon is buck.  Makes is quick to tell what you're grabbing to load.

Federal LE132 00Buck is maroon, while Federal LEB127LRS slugs are blue.  Both are low recoil rounds and are frequently regarded as some of the best of their types.  I just recently picked up a bunch of each and will be soon patterning my 870's with them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
[/quote]

Federal LE132 00Buck is maroon, while Federal LEB127LRS slugs are blue.  Both are low recoil rounds and are frequently regarded as some of the best of their types.  I just recently picked up a bunch of each and will be soon patterning my 870's with them.
[/quote]

This
Link Posted: 12/1/2010 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Hornady TAP are low recoil 00 buck and I love shooting them. They pattern well out of my 18in 870
Link Posted: 12/1/2010 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I had pretty good luck with speer lawman I picked up at a gunshow, rather affordable.  Never shot it past 5-7 yards so I can't say how well it grouped.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mag_Dump:
Hornady TAP are low recoil 00 buck and I love shooting them. They pattern well out of my 18in 870

This.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

+1 on the Federal
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like 2 types of 00 Buck.

Fiocchi Nickel-plated 12-ga. 2 3/4" 9-pellet Low Recoil No. 00 Buck Shot

And RBLR129 Low Recoil Royal Buck 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buck

The Fiocchi comes in a Box of 10, the Royal in boxes of 5. I am lucky enough to get both fairly cheap. If you need to do some practice, I dont think you can beat these.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By chevellemrwl:
I really like 2 types of 00 Buck.

Fiocchi Nickel-plated 12-ga. 2 3/4" 9-pellet Low Recoil No. 00 Buck Shot
http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/AMM-841.jpg

And RBLR129 Low Recoil Royal Buck 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buck
http://cdn4.ammoforsale.com/media/catalog/product/cache/7/image/300x/48dc3d6bbebe650594cfcba87fce20f3/r/o/royal-buck-rblr129-3.jpg

The Fiocchi comes in a Box of 10, the Royal in boxes of 5. I am lucky enough to get both fairly cheap. If you need to do some practice, I dont think you can beat these.

The Fiocchi is good, it prints 15" patterns at 25 yards out of my 18.5" IC Rem 870.  Federal LE133 prints 9" groups at 25 yards out of the same shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

+1
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

+1
This stuff is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Fiocci 7/8 oz low recoil slugs are poa/poi for me and my sx3.  I didn't do extensive testing but they work so I stocked up. I hardly ever shoot buck in matches.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Many matches require birdshot rather than buck
As with any gun you will find certain guns like certain loads - and do not go by someone else saying in his gun( same model as yours) that x load was best - I have seen two otherwise identical 870's for example show different presences for slug accuracy
Buy a few boxes of things you can re supply easily and see what works best in yours
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top