Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2010 10:38:03 AM EDT
I have an older HK-marked Benelli M1 Super 90 shotgun with pistol grip stock and extended magazine tube. What options are there to modify/improve it for quicker shell loading (one shell at a time, I won't use the tubes) and to reliably function and properly cycle with lighter loads?
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The M1 is made for high brass loads...I don't think you will have any luck shooting low power loads. At least that has been my experience with the 2 M1 Super 90 SBS we have in the shop.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Weaponcraft:

The M1 is made for high brass loads...I don't think you will have any luck shooting low power loads. At least that has been my experience with the 2 M1 Super 90 SBS we have in the shop.

OK, thanks, that's good to know

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I am under the impression from guys that run the m1 that they come from the factory with one of 2 recoil springs, a light for 23/4 inch loads and a heavy for 3 loads. I have also been told there are no markings or such to denote which spring is in the gun. That could be bullshit, but it has been from a few different guys running Benellis that said it. From hunters to comp shooters to cops.  With reduced recoil buck and slugs mine is now 95% reliable after running a 1500 or so rounds down the barrel. It has always run 100% with full power loads.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I fired some 7/8 oz 9 shot loads out of mine one day with no issues.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Chacal87:

Is your Benelli M1S90 modified in any way?

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:

Originally Posted By Chacal87:

Is your Benelli M1S90 modified in any way?

No, belonged to a bird hunter before I got it. All I've done is put a longer magazine tube on it, and taken off the crappy glue on fiber optic sight that was crookedly mounted.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Only way to load a M1 faster is to practice with it. I have had mine for 7 years and it has never run dry of shells yet in the same config you have. I always liked the fact I did not have to buy anything for my shotgun it rocked out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Benelli's are more liable to malf with a pistol grip stock than a standard stock.

That said, for full reliability you shouldn't use "low/reduced recoil loads"; the length of the brass has nothing to do with this though it did many years ago and this high vs low brass thing hangs around.

There's a guy on Brianenos who you can send the lifter to and he'll weld it up so that it's easier to load and the lifter doesn't take your thumb off. I'll email you his info.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By THellURider:

Benelli's are more liable to malf with a pistol grip stock than a standard stock.

That said, for full reliability you shouldn't use "low/reduced recoil loads"; the length of the brass has nothing to do with this though it did many years ago and this high vs low brass thing hangs around.

There's a guy on BrianEnos who you can send the lifter to and he'll weld it up so that it's easier to load and the lifter doesn't take your thumb off. I'll email you his info.

Thanks for the tips.

I already got my lifter modified by Jeff @ C-Rums in Springfield, Missouri, if that's who you're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THellURider] [#10]

There's a guy on BrianEnos who you can send the lifter to and he'll weld it up so that it's easier to load and the lifter doesn't take your thumb off. I'll email you his info.

Thanks for the tips.

I already got my lifter modified by Jeff @ C-Rums in Springfield, Missouri, if that's who you're talking about.

Well, if you've already done that then you've got it. The other thing you can do is open up the  "mag well" with a dremel (you saw a few like this at Geordie's match) A very few people I've heard will cut a couple of coils off the mag spring but this is a risky endeavor and isn't hugely recommended.

Other than that, practice, practice practice. I know I had my lightbulb moment at one point and finally "got it".

BTW, how was Sunday?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, if you've already done that then you've got it. The other thing you can do is open up the  "mag well" with a Dremel (you saw a few like this at Geordie's match) A very few people I've heard will cut a couple of coils off the mag spring but this is a risky endeavor and isn't hugely recommended.

Other than that, practice, practice practice. I know I had my lightbulb moment at one point and finally "got it".

BTW, how was Sunday?

Andrew Quant also already modified my magazine well. I don't think I'll mess with the magazine spring unless I have a replacement handy.

I never got the final word in time about Sunday, so I didn't actually make it, but apparently they did their carbine course and Greg gave rides in the MD-500C. We'll do it again sometime.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:37:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: olivers_AR] [#12]
Just ran a M1S90 today at a shotgun practice match with both Remington Club packs and Sporting clay loads, and it ran fine with no FTF or FTE.  The only "problem" that I had was that the action seems slow, it was colder out and I just got it and needs cleaning.

It was a stock field gun and have the Plus 3 mag on order.  Its a standard stock, may consider getting a pistol stock if I can find one.

ETA:  Need to get faster on reloads.  Trick that someone mentioned was to put the stock on the shoulder and then be able to see the workspace.
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I run my M1 Super90 with #6 bird shot, 00 reduced recoil, and reduced recoil slugs. Mine is unmodified, as I bought it new. The only time I have any issues is trying to shoot from the bench. I also replaced the pistol grip stock with a standard straight stock. Makes reloading essier for me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine (not HK marked) will not run lower power anything well.  If it gets dry it gets unhappy with good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine runs everything from #8 bird shot to heavier loads with no issues. I use HV #6 loads for 3 gun matches, and reduced recoil buck and slugs for HD. Only time I have ever had an issue is trying to shoot if from the bench on sand bags. Not enough momentum to work the action. Mine is a Tactical, and has the pistol grip stock replaced with a straight pull, mag tube extension w/clamp, and a Surefire light.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure seems like it's hit or miss with them.  Mine is pistol gripped,  mag extended and Surefire lit.  I ran a Sidesaddle on it for a bit but took it off trying to reduce the failure to eject issue. That did not make any difference that I could tell.

I do like it a lot, just wish I could find it's reliability problem.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I shoot 1 oz. 3 dram target loads through mine all the time.  I have used 7/8 oz @ 1350 fps too.  It is a 26" field model and is unmodified.  It goes bang everytime all the time.  

I think guys run into problems when they 1) don't follow the factory recommended break in procedure and 2) hang all kinds of shit on their gun.  

It's a short recoil operated shotgun...there has to me a specific operating range for the recoil impulse to operate the action.  When you make the gun significantly heavier, you impede the recoil impulse to a point where it falls out of the operating envelope.  I think it matters too where on the gun you hang the weight.  I have seen 5 shell side saddles choke a Benelli to uselessness, but extended magazines don't seem to be a problem.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Benelli's like a little lube on the recoil assembly concealed within the butt-stock.

On about 60 M1's we had, during an armorer's course...they all got field stripped and cleaned/lubed.  Each one also got  a spritz of Tri-Flow in the recoil tube while we pulled the stocks.

Not one malfunction with low recoil buck or slugs, ever.  Craptastic bird-shot ran fine too.  Inertia guns like Benelli's also need a little resistance to function optimally, i.e. a firm weld to the shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By recondodan:
Benelli's like a little lube on the recoil assembly concealed within the butt-stock.

On about 60 M1's we had, during an armorer's course...they all got field stripped and cleaned/lubed.  Each one also got a spritz of Tri-Flow in the recoil tube while we pulled the stocks.

Do you happen to have any pics depicting the area(s) where the Tri-Flow lubricant should be applied in the Benelli M1S90's recoil tube assembly within its buttstock?
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#20]

On about 60 M1's we had, during an armorer's course...they all got field stripped and cleaned/lubed.  Each one also got a spritz of Tri-Flow in the recoil tube while we pulled the stocks.

Do you happen to have any pics depicting the area(s) where the Tri-Flow lubricant should be applied in the Benelli M1S90's recoil tube assembly within its buttstock?

You can't mess it up.  It is a sealed mechanism with the exception of a small ~3mm drainage hole.  Just shoot a little squirt in there.  Once I do that, I hit it with the air compressor to disperse the protectant throughout the tube and remove the excess.

I don't think this lubrication affects performance in a positive or negative manner.  What it does do is inhibit corrosion of the spring and tube interior.    

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:

You can't mess it up.  It is a sealed mechanism with the exception of a small ~3mm drainage hole.  Just shoot a little squirt in there.  Once I do that, I hit it with the air compressor to disperse the protectant throughout the tube and remove the excess.

I don't think this lubrication affects performance in a positive or negative manner.  What it does do is inhibit corrosion of the spring and tube interior.

thanks, I'll check out mine this evening
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Inertia guns like Benelli's also need a little resistance to function optimally, i.e. a firm weld to the shoulder.

I think this is a big part of the variability in results.  The movement of the gun in recoil is part of the operating cycle, if it doesn't get the movement in recoil and then resistance to recoil that is required, the cycling won't be right.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I had bought a 26 inch H&K marked one and it ran everything I put in it. I bought the thing and without cleaning it shot reduced recoil LE buck and then 2 games of sporting clays with cheap shot shells... not a single problem. I sold this gun because I found an M1 in the configuration I wanted (Ninja ) but have yet to test this one. Here's to hoping I got lucky 2x....
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Weaponcraft:

Absolutely not a carved in stone fact.

Mine has no major work done other than a few parts replacement with US made parts so I could legally attach a pistol grip and extended mag tube and it has functioned with everything I've fed it.

I had a case of very light ammo I bought for a shotgun class (meant to be fired through an 870) that I thought would not work but it runs with no problems.

I CAN feel the action slow down when it get's dirty or shooting light loads, but it has NEVER failed to eject, chamber, and fire.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Biggest issue I have seen with M1S90's are the fact that people hang one too many tacti-cool
parts on it....

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rgrprib] [#26]
I have a 26inch barrel model with a standard stock and all factory parts that I've been using for sporting clays.

Close to 10,000 rounds of 8 shot through mine so far, and never a feed or extraction issue.

prib

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine runs anything as long as I keep it clean and lubed.  It will run through walmart loads with no issues, its HK marked, 18 in barrel, full length mag tube, PG stock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a used and abused m1s90 with pg, side saddle and ext mag from a pawn shop a few years ago.,it would only feed high brass till I discovered that the tube that held the action spring was filthy and filled with old grease. I cleaned it a used lubriplate and it ran everything well, I also replaced the spring with a standard weight spring
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#29]
mines functions with everything.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top