BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By M4:

Originally Posted By Ranger431:
I can't say I've had a single issue with my 930 SPX in any way, shape or form. It cycles in a hurry and eats everything I've fed it. No regrets whatsoever.

My experience as well.

My 930 SPX has been a great shotgun, eats everything, zero issues.

Same here, Mate..  Before mine was lost in the boating accident it would eat anything you would feed it.  From low-recoil door breachers all the way to 3" magnum slug loads.  Runs like clockwork, and impressively accurate with Federal TruBall or Fiocchi aero too!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By racinfast002:

Basically any time you buy a gun chambered in 3" or bigger, your going to have problems with light 2 3/4" loads.  The gas system wasn't designed for such a light load.

I disagree.  My 930 eats everything, even light 2 3/4 trap loads.  Lots of autos function just fine with light loads.  The OP got a lemon.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Guy had one at the range about two years back. Let me shoot it. No shit I rang steel on a 10" plate with a slug on the first shot at 100 yards. Bird shot shot fast. Boom boom boom. Np issues.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 9:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#4]
Only ever had trouble with Winchester junk in mine when the gun was dirty.
It came with a canted front sight, called Mossberg, talked to Jesus there, had a new barrel in about 1.5 weeks.
They didn't include a return label for the old barrel, called Jesus back, and he said don't worry about it.
So, I've got an extra barrel with a canted sight.  Maybe I'll form-1 it into a shotgun suppressor
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I had not read this post before buying a 930 SPX a couple of weeks ago.  My schedule precluded me from getting to the range until last Saturday.  I brought a variety of 2.75 inch ammo with me including Remington 00 Buck, Federal LE 00 Buck and Federal and Remington rifled slugs.  I also brought a couple of boxes of my reloaded trap loads with #7.5 shot and Clays powder.  I had not cleaned the gun after taking it out of the box, just checked to make sure there were no obstructions in the bore, breach or receiver before firing.  Out of around 100 rounds of mixed ammo I had one Remington buck shot load fail to fully eject.  The Federal stuff and my reloads all ran 100%.  I know it is not a torture test but I would not hesitate to trust my life to this gun with quality ammo.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nuke1] [#6]
For those that have the 930s that run great, what's your round count?
In the 3-gun world we shoot a bit and the 930s that do run seem to still run into problems after 2000-3000 rounds.
Light strikes seem to be the most common problem, dirty piston, not going into full battery.
Some have replaced the hammer spring with a 10/22 but the firing pin starts to mushroom after a few thousand rounds with a stock spring much less with a stronger hammer spring.

So just wondering if there are any 5,000 - 10,000 round 930 that are still running great?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nuke1:

In the 3-gun world we shoot a bit and the 930s that do run seem to still run into problems after 2000-3000 rounds.

Light strikes seem to be the most common problem, dirty piston, not going into full battery.

Some have replaced the hammer spring with a 10/22 but the firing pin starts to mushroom after a few thousand rounds with a stock spring much less with a stronger hammer spring.

So just wondering if there are any 5,000 - 10,000 round 930 that are still running great?
View Quote
I'm probably at a little under 1,000 rounds so far.  We'll see how it holds up.

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Not up to that kind of round count, but my gen3 930 SPX is a BEAST. Sitting at about 2K, and the thing is bulletproof. Works well with the full plastic cased trap loads, LOVES the Fiocci plated buck. Have used the FN, no difference as a fighting shotgun EXCEPT the pistol-grip stock on the 930 sux. It's the cheap, made-for-wookies oversized junk made by Choate. THIS issue will be resolved in a month or two when the new urbino from Mesa is released. At that point, a gen3 with the urbino will be the monster of combat shotties. No O-rings to worry about, just keep pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Ahhh mossturd.

Stick with their pumps.  Their auto's and o/u's are junk.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Got a 930 waterfowel swapped the barrel for a 24" non-ported one and added a +5 choate mag extention. The only things ever shot threw it have been either #8 or #71/2 25 year old low brass federal field loads  and not one problem at all from day one.  I love my 930 tricked for 3-gun and will put it up against any big $ shotgun out there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Does the SLP have a gas ring that must be in place before firing light field loads like the 11-87?
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fyeguy:

but if you're depending on an auto-loading shotgun as your last line of defense, then you are clearly insane.
View Quote

With all due respect, what is the difference between depending on an auto-loading shotgun as your last line of defense versus relying on an auto-loading handgun or carbine? Any firearm is a mechanical tool that can break at any point in time; granted some are more prone to breakage than others.

I had a shell in the chamber of an 870 and another shell came out of the tube on to the top of the loading gate rendering the SG completely inoperable.

I fail to see your point.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
THe Winchester birdshot is so shitty it can lock up an 870.
View Quote

This happened to me at an nra-le shotgun instructor course.  The Instructor Trainers said it was common with all of the discount pack birdshot from walmart.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Odd

I purchased a 930spx
I buy nothing but cheap ammo #4- 7 1/2 shot game / practice loads from wal mart , no issues. I cleaned and oiled it before shooting , and clean it about every other time.
I have made zero modifications , I bought this for HD and occasional multi gun marches
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By alemonkey:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alemonkey:

Originally Posted By nuke1:

About the same, probably closer to 1200-1300.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Red-ryder:
Odd

I purchased a 930spx
I buy nothing but cheap ammo #4- 7 1/2 shot game / practice loads from wal mart , no issues. I cleaned and oiled it before shooting , and clean it about every other time.
I have made zero modifications , I bought this for HD and occasional multi gun marches
View Quote

Didn't see the question about round count , somewhere between 600-700 rounds I guessing.
I don't buy 3" loads often because of price , I will buy them once and awhile

Also of the shotguns at the club I shoot at about 60% of the shotguns are 930s
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By beardog30:Stick with their pumps.  Their auto's and o/u's are junk.
View Quote

This ^. The reality is that 930s have a tremendous rate of lemons. Purchasing one is simply a gamble.

Surprised no one has mentioned the loose / sloppy forend and trigger assembly. Mossberg has been making them this way for years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
You should not run light loads through the 930's, unless you buy some aftermarket parts. I personally use a 930 JM Pro, and have not had an issue in little under a 1000 rounds, almost all in 3 gun matches. All I use for shot is cheap Walmart( Winchester) 100 round bulk boxes. I don't even use reduced recoil slugs (wolf rifled).
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 2:53:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#19]
Originally Posted By NDZERTMEMBER:

You should not run light loads through the 930's, unless you buy some aftermarket parts. I personally use a 930 JM Pro, and have not had an issue in little under a 1000 rounds, almost all in 3 gun matches. All I use for shot is cheap Walmart( Winchester) 100 round bulk boxes. I don't even use reduced recoil slugs (wolf rifled).
View Quote

My 930 SPX has been great.

I've shot EVERYTHING through it without a single issue.

Beyond early models with canted sights, I just haven't seen anything that would indicate these guns aren't excellent autoloaders.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's how to solve most failure to properly cycle issues with Mossbergs.  I've never encountered rougher chambers than on Mossys Shotguns.  Get yourself some Fitz Polish use an electric drill and a 12 ga. bore mop.  Liberally apply the polish to the bore mop.  For me it usually takes about 3-4 minutes of drill work, but on one particular chamber it took about 6min to polish the chamber out. Then scrupulously clean the chamber and lightly oil it  (I like Mobil 0W-40W European Formula), but any good quality light oil will do.  Never had a 930 fail to cycle like a champ after that chamber treatment.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I a vepr12 thats ate everything. But then again I only use ammo 1200fps or higher for any semi shotgun. You dont buy a corvet and put 87 oct in it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I just got my 930 18" about a week ago.
Cleaned and lubed it, and it shot 100 Walmart federal bird and 30 fiocchi low recoil 00s.

I did order a lot of stuff from OR3GUN, and now I consider it to be a gun for low-recoil rounds (or maybe higher recoil rounds under my arm). They said try to stick with 1100-1250fps stuff if possible, but it can't take a bit more I'm sure.

I got an assortment to test out later today--from bird to low-recoil to "magnum" federal that's pushing 34 pellets at 1250 (I think the low-recoil version pushes that #4 stuff at like 1100fps).

Will report back...
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been messing around with a JM Pro lately, had every malfunction as described by many of posts over the years on several forums.

I think I figured a few things out that are causing some of these issues, and have so far, corrected them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:06:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#24]
First of all Winchester makes shit ass ammo that a lot of guns don't run well with.  I have a Beretta 391 and Benelli M2 that hate to cycle it on occasion.

I purchased a Field model 930 with wood furniture and had the barrel cut down to 20" and added an extended mag.  I love shooting this thing and haven't experienced any issue with it in about 6-700 rounds so far, with the exception of Winchester ammo.

I contacted Mossberg because the box I received didnt include chokes or a manual or anything. The dealer basically gave me a random box.  They sent all that and an oversized bolt handle for the SPXs for free.  As far as I'm concerned Mossberg has had some pretty decent customer service.

2 other people I shoot with have purchased a 930 variant and are completely satisfied.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok
Don't be so defense
I really doubt people would be reporting problems that don't exist
So just what exactly is wrong with Winchester ammo?
I'm not saying it isn't crap, but what is wrong with it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
THe Winchester birdshot is so shitty it can lock up an 870.
View Quote
I shot that through my coach and the shitty thin brass swelled up so bad it wouldn't even extract

No probs with my 930 either.  Everything from light #7 AA to Magnum rounds.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By glorifiedG:
Ok
Don't be so defense
I really doubt people would be reporting problems that don't exist
So just what exactly is wrong with Winchester ammo?
I'm not saying it isn't crap, but what is wrong with it?
View Quote
It swells up and the hulls are sticky.  It can lock up just about about any gas gun.
I've had it stick in pump guns as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:03:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ag04blast] [#28]
I bought one who they first came out.  Followed break in and had no problems for a long time with cheap bulk walmart bird shot.  Added a shell holder  and it never ran right for the next 3 years.  Dumped the Mesa she'll holder after trying the new screws that where supposed to help.  I discovered Jerry M's video on cleaning and maintenance of the 930 and follow it exactly.  My SPX is back to running on bulk pack and I am happy again.

Edit to add:  These things do require maintenance.  They are not like my Benellli which will go several thousand rounds in between cleaning and still not have an issue.  I always make sure to strip and clean the SPX every 1000 rounds or so.  They do not like to be dirt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Wife bought me a SPX 930 for Christmas a couple years back and it has worked flawlessly. I watched the Michilek video on Youtube where he un-boxes and cleans one before he fires it. He gives some good info in his explanation. I turned 2 co-workers/buddies onto them and they both have the same results. One of them bought the Michilek model and he's in love with it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I shot a buddy's 930 through a class last autumn with no issues. I'd say about a third of the students were using Mossberg 930s, in a couple different models. Except one student and the instructor the entire class was shooting semi-autos .  The instructor commented early on that it was great because he would have lots of examples of malfunctions for him to demo.  This used to be an issue as a semi auto tuned for training loads (birdshot) would not be able to function well with SD loads (00 Buck, slug, etc.) but thanks to science, the free market, and 3-Gun popularity that is no longer the case.  Even law enforcement and military train with birdshot, so reliable functioning with light and heavy loads is a requirement for duty or defensive shotguns.

Class was 20 rounds buckshot, 10 slugs, 300 birdshot, and there were no malfunctions that day.  When the time came to teach how to clear malfunctions the instructor had to simulate them on his 590 pump.  My loaner 930 worked flawlessly, shot smooth, and handled perfectly as did all the others.

I should note all the shotguns were nice 3 gun or defensive type shotguns from major manufacturers, but if you are looking for a shotgun but have been leary of semi-autos because they were notoriously bad at using light and heavy loads I think those troubles are pretty much fixed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Had one, ran everything fine, even in really cold weather where things can stick up. You're was a lemon, contact them.

I did, however, sell it because of the insane shell release that will easily jam the gun and I never felt comfortable using it in a defensive situation. They must have had a team of French engineers from Renault working round the clock on that design.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top