Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2007 2:30:18 PM EDT
Anyone got a course of fire they use.

I have been using the MEUSOC m4 qual course for rifle drills and am looking for something similar with the shotgun.  
I have a pump and semi.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
We don't use a qualification course per say, we use standards which I find more difficult.  We use steel targets that are 10 inches square set 10 yards away.  On a timer the shooter must:

1 shot ready gun  .8 sec
2 shots ready gun 1.10
target to target     1.15
180 drill                1.80
combat reload/fire shot reload fire shot 2.75
4 shot rythem drill 3.0
transition drill        2.5

no points for times over the standard and not points if shots miss steel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
That is great info.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 2:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DMR] [#3]
Here is some modifications off of the Published Army standards. It is some what limited in that the ARMY has not type classified a slug round.

Shotgun Qual

Task: Engage Targets with a 12 Gauge Shotgun (Qualification). Modified from STP 19-95c1 SM.

Conditions: You are given a requirement to engage targets using a 12-gauge shotgun. You are given a shotgun, 10 rounds of #00 buckshot, Type E silhouette targets, a 25 meter range and a firing barricade. The barricade should measure about 72 inches x 26 inches with an opening (window) cut 36 inches to 42 inches from the bottom of the barricade. The opening should be 18 inches wide and approximately 36 inches high.
Standards: Engaged targets with the 12-gauge shotgun, scoring a minimum of two pellets per round in the targets.

Shotgun Qualification

Position Rounds DISTANCE METHOD   Time Standard  Notes
               Fired

Standing 2 25 Off Hand         4 Seconds Load 4 Rounds
Knelling 2 25 Off Hand         4 Seconds
Crouched 2 25 Underarm Assault 4 Seconds Load 4 Rounds
Standing 2 25 Strong Side         4 Seconds Barricade Supported
Standing 2 25 Barricade Supported 4 Seconds Load 2 Rounds

SHOTGUN FIRING, SHORT-RANGE MARKSMANSHIP QUALIFICATION (Modified from FM 3-22.9 Rifle Marksmanship Chapter 7, 7.27 Phase III)

Soldiers should conduct SRM qualification semiannually, using the shotgun in the full stock configuration. In addition to qualification, commanders should conduct familiarization using the same qualification standards while altering the conditions. Firing the qualification tables with out stock, in protective masks and during periods of limited visibility with NVD’s should be included.

Task: Conduct Short Range Marksmanship with a 12 Gauge Shotgun . Modified from FM 3-22.3

Conditions: You are given a requirement to engage targets using a 12-gauge shotgun. You are given a shotgun, 16 rounds of #00 buckshot, Type E silhouette targets, and a 25 meter range.

Standards: Engaged targets with the 12-gauge shotgun, scores 16 hits day and night. A hit is a minimum of two pellets per round in the targets.

Short Range Marksmanship (SRM) Record and Practice Fire.

Position Rounds Fired DISTANCE   METHOD          Time Standard Notes
Straight ahead  2   25 m   Controlled pair 4 seconds Load 4 Rounds
Left Turn      2   25 m   Controlled pair 4 seconds
Right Turn      2   25 m   Controlled pair 4 seconds Load 4 Rounds
Straight ahead  2       5m Begin      Controlled pair         4 seconds
walking               at 15m
Straight ahead  4      10m begin  Controlled pair         8 seconds Load 4 Rounds walking              at 20m
Straight ahead  2      25m             Controlled pair 4 seconds Load 4 Rounds Walk laterially   2  10m    Controlled pair 4 seconds
to left

LESS-LETHAL QUALIFICATION MODIFIED FROM FM 3-19 CHAPTER 5 8-9
Soldiers should conduct Less-Lethal qualification annually, using the shotgun in the full stock configuration. In most cases, kinetic energy will only carry these NL munitions projectiles 75 meters or less. This gives trainers flexibility as to the locations where a live-fire exercise can be conducted, especially in a field-expedient situation.

Task: Conduct Less-Lethal Marksmanship with a 12 Gauge Shotgun . Modified from FM 3-19.

Conditions: You are given a requirement to engage targets using a 12-gauge shotgun. You are given a shotgun, a grenade launching cup, 2 rubber ball grenade(Sting Ball), 2 Launching Rounds,  7 M-1012 rounds, 6 M-1013 rounds, Type E silhouette targets, and a 25 meter range.

Standards: Engaged targets with the 12-gauge shotgun, scores 15 hits USMC, 13 hits Army.

Note: The Stingball Grenade and grenade launching cup is a USMC only program. Stingball grenades should not be fired directly at individuals.  The XM-104 Non-Lethal Bursting Hand Grenade SEP program should be expected to provide this capability to the Army in the future.

Less-Lethal Record and Practice Fire.

Position Rounds Fired DISTANCE Target Type Round type Notes
Standing 1 75m Area Sting Ball / Launching Round Load 1 round, USMC Only
Standing 1 50m Area Sting Ball / Launching Round Load 1 round, USMC Only
Standing 4 25m 3 Area, 2 Point 3 M-1013 /2 M-1012 Load 4 rounds
Standing 3 20m 3 Area 3 M-1013 Load 3 rounds
Standing 2 20m 2 Point 2 M-1012 Load 2 rounds
Standing 2 15m 2 Point 2 M-1012 Load 2 rounds
Standing 2 10m 2 Point 2 M-1012 Load 2 rounds
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice.  Now I have some time standards (build mechanics) and a course of fire to incoporeate other skill sets.

Thanks.  My shotgun workouts just became more fun.
AND I have an excuse to build another barricade...
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Note those standards are built around the standard service shotgun Mossberg 500 with a 5+1 capacity.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a 590, and enhanced 1100.  Downloading will not be a problem  I really try to keep my shell count low in each stage so that I can practice reloads from a sidesaddle, shell carrier and loose shells in the dump pouch.  I "try" to build muscle memory.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I set up coke cans in a line at varying heights at a distance of 15 yards or so and blast them and try to beat my time each iteration. It may be crude but it's good training. You can mix it up for different distances and use slugs for more of a challenge.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:12:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeepinbanditrider] [#8]
As a range coach in the Marine Corps I never did a shotgun course of fire.  It was always a "fam fire" and then you were good to get issued the weapon.  And by fam fire I mean you were lucky to have targets.  It was mostly to acquaint people with the recoil of a shotgun than to see if they could actually hit what they were shooting at.  I tried to get the command to let us do some kind of course of fire on targets but they deemed it a waste of time for an airwing unit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the MCSFR shotgun course of fire on my work computer, other them only the MPs had a formalized POPIfor shotguns other than for less than lethal or breaching

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Having put together some shotgun stage's for 3 G match's. Always like to throw in at least 2 slug shots 1@50 and another @100. Nothing says FY like a 12ga slug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top