Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 1:53:24 PM EDT
Just bought a 10" Steel Target 1/2" AR500 mostly for pistol (may see some rifle). Are you steel guys shooting frangible or will FMJ/TMJ be ok? 15 yards will be the closest I'll be. I'm planning on setting the plate with a slight downward angle with two chains.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Pistol as in 5.56/223 AR pistol?
Regular handgun I shoot as close as 7 yards, with regular ammo. 
If it is hanging from a chain, you can not really make it lean forwards, as it will always want to hang plumb.

Edit- okay, I see how you are getting it to lean forward 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it is hanging from a chain, you can not really make it lean forwards, as it will always want to hang plumb.
View Quote
You can still angle it.

Run carriage bolts through the hanger holes on the plate.  Tighten two or three nuts onto the backside of the plate on each bolt.  Slip your chain links on each bolt.  Add another nut to capture the chain.  The plate will hang at a downward angle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
No AR Pistol.
Thanks for the info.

I'll be mounting it like this: (there should be a slightly downward angle)
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You're overthinking it. 15 yards is plenty far for pistols and I would just mount the chain to the bolts without spacing it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You're overthinking it. 15 yards is plenty far for pistols and I would just mount the chain to the bolts without spacing it.
View Quote
Probably. Just don't want to poke my eye out. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably. Just don't want to poke my eye out. 
View Quote
There are plenty here more experienced than myself, but I've shot a few thousand pistol rounds at steel ranging from 100 to less than 10 yards. Just wear your safety glasses and you'll be fine. I've shot lead, fmj, and HP rounds, no problems yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The final product, works great!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top