Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2017 5:57:14 PM EDT
INSTRUCTORS:Tactical Response - Don Numbers, Jay Gibson, Tim Morse and James Yeager.

Fighting rifle takes a student from understanding the basic safety rules of operating a rifle to holding your rifle, use of a sling, drawing your rifle, loading, unloading, reloading, clearing malfunctions, and basic maneuvering while operating your rifle in a simulated fight scenario. Progresses into moving while shooting, concealment vs cover, shooting from cover, shooting from various positions (fetal, prone, kneeling, standing, walking forward, backwards, sideways, box drills, etc.), transitioning from rifle to pistol back to rifle among other drills.

Day two is a continuation of instruction at the range. A quick recap of what you learned the day before is covered before and more advanced drills are conducted. The second half of the day is spent working in teams. Understanding how to communicate effectively, bounding / leap frogging, moving, laying down cover fire, etc. are taught as an introduction to the Advanced Fighting Rifle class which utilizes the same techniques only on a more advanced and chaotic level. Day 2 of the Fighting Rifle course was an AMAZING .

MY GEAR:Glock 19, Blackpoint OWB Holster,double-mag holster, 9mm Fed, Spike’s Crusader, Sight Mark Wolverine Red Dot, Vickers 2-point sling, Blue-Force 10-speed Chest Rig, 2nd AmendMags , Ear and eye pro, Shamagh, standard issue knee-pads, Fed .556.

SUMMARY:We started as 30 strangers and melded into a team. In exhaustion we remained effective and safe as a group. In live fire training with people everywhere, at many angles and vantage points made contact, peeled off, we got behind cover, put down effective fire (out to 250 yards), moved by bounds, communicated, covered each other, rescued our wounded and attended to them medically and got out of dodge.  We got WAY MORE than we paid for. GO TAKE THIS CLASS NOW WHILE YOU CAN.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you had fun and learned something.

Did you do any shooting from a ditch?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
This really needs to get moved to GD.

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, multiple cover was used as well as immediately attending to a hit team member whom has suffered a femoral artery hit as did Jay Hurt in the incident to which you are alluding.

hope I never have to save you brother
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Was the parking brake set or nah?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
This will not go well. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This will not go well. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
"transitioning from rifle to pistol back to rifle among other drills"

Did you engage the rifle's safety or did you only have one round in the rifle to start the drill?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"transitioning from rifle to pistol back to rifle among other drills"

Did you engage the rifle's safety or did you only have one round in the rifle to start the drill?
View Quote
safety on after it leaves your cheek was the rule of the training so it is imprinted after multiple repetitions. There were drills where we started charged with one in the chamber, dropped the mag and transitioned to pistol, making good precision hits on the target and then got our rifles loaded and back in the fight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
In on one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
1st post.... Yeah. You're not a shill at all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
IN, you know because of first post, Yeager and all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1st post.... Yeah. You're not a shill at all.
View Quote
Thanks for the welcome.

Just sharing my experience, I am an M14 shooter, I bought the Spike's Crusader just for this course, it is my 1st AR15 and found it to be preferable both in weight and cartridge affordability.

This is an AR forum yes? This sub-content area is for General Training discussions yes?

This was my experience, thought some folks might benefit from a shooter's perspective.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:39:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
INSTRUCTORS:Tactical Response - Don Numbers, Jay Gibson, Tim Morse and James Yeager.

Fighting rifle takes a student from understanding the basic safety rules of operating a rifle to holding your rifle, use of a sling, drawing your rifle, loading, unloading, reloading, clearing malfunctions, and basic maneuvering while operating your rifle in a simulated fight scenario. Progresses into moving while shooting, concealment vs cover, shooting from cover, shooting from various positions (fetal, prone, kneeling, standing, walking forward, backwards, sideways, box drills, etc.), transitioning from rifle to pistol back to rifle among other drills.

Day two is a continuation of instruction at the range. A quick recap of what you learned the day before is covered before and more advanced drills are conducted. The second half of the day is spent working in teams. Understanding how to communicate effectively, bounding / leap frogging, moving, laying down cover fire, etc. are taught as an introduction to the Advanced Fighting Rifle class which utilizes the same techniques only on a more advanced and chaotic level. Day 2 of the Fighting Rifle course was an AMAZING .

MY GEAR:Glock 19, Blackpoint OWB Holster,double-mag holster, 9mm Fed, Spike’s Crusader, Sight Mark Wolverine Red Dot, Vickers 2-point sling, Blue-Force 10-speed Chest Rig, 2nd AmendMags , Ear and eye pro, Shamagh, standard issue knee-pads, Fed .556.

SUMMARY:We started as 30 strangers and melded into a team. In exhaustion we remained effective and safe as a group. In live fire training with people everywhere, at many angles and vantage points made contact, peeled off, we got behind cover, put down effective fire (out to 250 yards), moved by bounds, communicated, covered each other, rescued our wounded and attended to them medically and got out of dodge.  We got WAY MORE than we paid for. GO TAKE THIS CLASS NOW WHILE YOU CAN.
View Quote

Sorry, But I'm calling Bullshit.. A bunch of strangers with varying degree's of experience do not come together and "Meld" as a team during two days of anything... let alone a rifle class (especially the way TR runs them)

and you posting this as your first post...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:09:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Language is suspect, did you all employ synergy also?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You mentioned the Yeager ditch incident, so you're not clueless about his reputation - here or elsewhere.  So are you playing dumb for our benefit?
View Quote
Playing dumb? By posting a review of the class?

Not sure I understand the inference...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[/size=6]

Sorry, But I'm calling Bullshit.. A bunch of strangers with varying degree's of experience do not come together and "Meld" as a team during two days of anything... let alone a rifle class (especially the way TR runs them)

and you posting this as your first post...
View Quote
Don't remember seeing you there, so I will have to assume you trained with them and had a different experience?

I don't understand the malevolence. I understand there are James Yeager and TC haters, that is fine, but this was my experience and I am sharing it with this community as my first post. Is that reason and evidence of lying (bullshit as you call it), or being a shill or anything other than my sincere effort to share some of the class within the 2000 words allowed me?

We are shooters. We believe in a common freedom beyond most folk's understanding. Training is essential to that, April 19 is a reminder of our need to be armed ready and able to defend ourselves. All hate for James Yeager aside perhaps somebody now has a better understanding of what the 4 day class I took was all about.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mentioned the Yeager ditch incident, so you're not clueless about his reputation - here or elsewhere.  So are you playing dumb for our benefit?

You can't convince us of anything. 

We all know that JY and anyone associated with him are complete idiots.

On top of that, your original post sounds like it was written by an advertising agency.  

I would be embarrassed to tell anyone I took the class.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

On top of that, your original post sounds like it was written by an advertising agency.  

View Quote
Not trying to convince you of anything, not sure why you even commented other than to thump the FNG

Okay, you hate the way I wrote it, fine. Do you routinely snap into a thread just to vomit your disdain for the writing style?

In light of your remonstrance, training would seem to be the least of your embarrassments.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Odd first post.

No personal intro, just a class listing, then some crap statement about becoming a team.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#22]
In on this
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#24]
How many rounds do you think you shot in the class?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You are clearly aware James is controversial, and yet you're surprised at the level of suspicion and light trolling you're getting after posting a review of his class with such glowing, formulaic language that it sounds like it comes right from a brochure as your first post on the site?

Please.
View Quote
Yes, I am aware of potential for criticism about James and TR in general and that is fine. I am indeed surprised at the level of suspicion and trolling I'm getting personally, regardless of the words chosen to describe my experience in the class. I loved it, it changed my training habits as a student and instructor, I encourage others to do likewise. My perception is that this is the good we do each other in the gun community, exchanging knowledge and giving first-hand reviews. We don't have to nor rarely do we agree but calling bullshit and attacking motives? What the hell?

As to it being my first post, what is the big deal? I had to post about something the first time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Through both classes we shot about 5,000 rnds of .556 and 300-400 rnds of 9mm. Mind you that was 2 people over the course of 4 days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Through both classes we shot about 5,000 rnds of .556 and 300-400 rnds of 9mm. Mind you that was 2 people over the course of 4 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got any brass you want to sell really cheap?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#28]
In.

Needs to be moved to GD so we don't screw things up.

Shootsteel blocked me on Facebook for calling him Buck Angel
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Got any brass you want to sell really cheap?
View Quote
sorry bulldog, left it all on the range...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow...simply just wow. Is that how we treat folks around here now?

For the record, I have attended a couple of courses led by Yeager. Yes, he is controversial and all that, but,
why are we kicking this guy simply for talking about a class he attended?

We all lament how folks need to get some training and such, and here is a guy who did just that. Yes, you may not like who he trained
with, but, J.H.C...there is no need to just stomp on him like that.

Get a grip, you all know better and should act accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yeager can be (and usually is) a tool.
Jay Gibson is the most qualified and humble guy they have on staff over there. He's a solid dude. I wish he'd do his own thing and break from Yeager but he probably never will.

Ignore the haters.

Yes, Yeager is a tool.
Yes, there are better courses out there.

This is arfcom. Many of the guys posting are too fat and lazy to actually go outside and shoot. They are jelly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yeager can be (and usually is) a tool.
Jay Gibson is the most qualified and humble guy they have on staff over there. He's a solid dude. I wish he'd do his own thing and break from Yeager but he probably never will.

Ignore the haters.

Yes, Yeager is a tool.
Yes, there are better courses out there.

This is arfcom. Many of the guys posting are too fat and lazy to actually go outside and shoot. They are jelly.
View Quote
appreciate it. Clint Smith is next on my list.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lets say you're aware of some guy that does lawn maintenance.  He's generally regarded with a lot derision in your neck of the woods due to his work habits, crazy statements he's made in public, and the general lack of safety he's been observed as having when he does his work.

Now, some guy - that you have never seen, doesn't live in your neighborhood, and has zero credibility - shows up on your doorstep.  He's just there to tell you about how wonderful this lawn maintenance guy is.  No agenda, honest, and no affiliation - just wanted to pass along his impression of how well the dude cuts his lawn... it was almost magical.

How would you treat this random stranger?  Would you invite him into tell you about the wonderful lawn care dude, or would you say, "WTF-ever, chief.  GTFO off my lawn."
View Quote
far as I can tell I'm not on your lawn chief. This is a public forum. You were the new guy with zero credibility once upon a time.

How do I treat random strangers?  With human decency to start with unless they become an aggressor or give me a reason to defend myself against them.

Tell you what, you wanna rip me a new one, teach me a lesson? Let's take this to the PMs and sort it out there, this post was supposed to be about training.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wow...simply just wow. Is that how we treat folks around here now?

For the record, I have attended a couple of courses led by Yeager. Yes, he is controversial and all that, but,
why are we kicking this guy simply for talking about a class he attended?

We all lament how folks need to get some training and such, and here is a guy who did just that. Yes, you may not like who he trained
with, but, J.H.C...there is no need to just stomp on him like that.

Get a grip, you all know better and should act accordingly.
View Quote
I'm not treating the new guy poorly. I could care less that he's new. 

Yeagers an idiot, and it's not like I stomped a site sponsor.... 

Welcome new dude, we hope you can forgive us, just the mention of jy name sends us into a tizzy and we have a hard time getting back to reality. 

Hopefully we can interact with you in a more positive way next time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
dougcarlson, you're not being derided for being new nor for taking a TR class. You are suspected of being affiliated with TR and fraudulently posting a fake course review based on the language used in your post, claims made of the class, join date, and it being your very first post on the entire board.

Personally, I also had the same suspicions reading your post before I even saw the other responses. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
dougcarlson, you're not being derided for being new nor for taking a TR class. You are suspected of being affiliated with TR and fraudulently posting a fake course review based on the language used in your post, claims made of the class, join date, and it being your very first post on the entire board.

Personally, I also had the same suspicions reading your post before I even saw the other responses. 
View Quote
In light of the cynicism that has manifested into bitterness on this thread...

I am GM of a large Gun Range/Store/Training/Gunsmithing Facility in Georgia I am also an NRA Training Counselor and Firearms Instructor. I instruct  300+ students per year. I try and attend as many professional classes as my calendar and wallet allow.  I am not affiliated with any entity apart from my own.

The review is entirely true. I am limited to 2000 characters. The language was greatly condensed to offer the most information in the limited space.

I have never posted here before and considered my input regarding the course to be germane as an instructor and student. Again, in this community of which I am a practicing participant we rely on first-hand accounts with which to make informed decisions regarding gear, training, et al. That is my motivation, to help others in some way as they seek to better themselves.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am GM of a large Gun Range/Store/Training/Gunsmithing Facility in Georgia I am also an NRA Training Counselor and Firearms Instructor. I instruct  300+ students per year. I try and attend as many professional classes as my calendar and wallet allow.  I am not affiliated with any entity apart from my own.

The review is entirely true. I am limited to 2000 characters. The language was greatly condensed to offer the most information in the limited space.

I have never posted here before and considered my input regarding the course to be germane as an instructor and student. Again, in this community of which I am a practicing participant we rely on first-hand accounts with which to make informed decisions regarding gear, training, et al. That is my motivation, to help others in some way as they seek to better themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the site man.  Don't let this first thread color your impression of Arfcom.  Lots of good information here and many good people floating around.  Just understand that Tactical Response/James Yeager is very much... disliked... and for many reasons.  

The old adage applies.  Nothing good to say? Say nothing then.  There are other, far better, ambassadors of the firearms community.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#41]
what day did the instructor break the 180 rule and shoot a students vehicle? Before or after the wheelchair dude and the hostage scenario with live hostages?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Welcome to the forum and Kudos for expanding your training experience. As an instructor, it's always a good idea to take classes from others and decide what to put in your tool box. Clint Smith is also an awesome instructor. I hope you had a chance to train with Pat Rogers before he passed. He was one of the best.

I have taken classes from a bunch of instructors including James. I never witnessed the safety violations that were later documented on video but that was off putting when I saw it.

Anyhow, don't take the hazing personally, JY is highly controversial. I'm glad you had a good experience.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Welcome to the forum and Kudos for expanding your training experience. As an instructor, it's always a good idea to take classes from others and decide what to put in your tool box. Clint Smith is also an awesome instructor. I hope you had a chance to train with Pat Rogers before he passed. He was one of the best.

I have taken classes from a bunch of instructors including James. I never witnessed the safety violations that were later documented on video but that was off putting when I saw it.

Anyhow, don't take the hazing personally, JY is highly controversial. I'm glad you had a good experience.
View Quote
appreciate it. never trained with Pat Rogers but have had many students pass through that did and he is highly regarded in these parts. Seems he was a "Pass or Fail" kind of guy with no room for gray areas.

I admire that.

Not taking anything personally, I understand the human condition.

as for James, defending him is a very poor paying job and I don't want it, and he does not need me to do it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#46]
It would be interesting to see someone who doesn't like Yeager and has never taken a course from Yeager, go take a course objectively and post what it was like.

Lots of people jump on a bandwagon due to some of his past videos and abrasive personality but refuse to look past that objectively.

Personally, I would spend my money elsewhere but I'm sure I would benefit something if I took one of his courses. Even an instructor you personally don't care for can teach you something. But you have to put your ego aside and some of the people who love to jump on the anti Yeager bandwagon have as big if not bigger egos than he does.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#48]
From what I saw of earlier Yeager classes, I wouldn't go near that impact area.

Since then, it appears that some guys with actual experience have come in and tried to square things away, but I still personally would avoid it because of all the fratricide issues I've seen even with active duty units that do this as part of their job.

Getting that many people together for one course who have never worked with each other, let alone PT'd with each other, is a potential recipe for disaster.

In a real unit, you will spend a lot of time dry, blank, then live.

Biggest issue I see is dudes getting tunnel vision from all the disorienting muzzle blast, and brain-dumping what they're supposed to do.

They then run into someone's field of fire. I've seen it several times, where dudes narrowly missed eating bursts of 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
yes, multiple cover was used as well as immediately attending to a hit team member whom has suffered a femoral artery hit as did Jay Hurt in the incident to which you are alluding.
View Quote
His name is Jay Hunt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top