Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 2:15:44 PM EDT
...On opening a (indoor primarily/only) firing range.

The focus would be an indoor range (pistol focused but with frangibles for long guns available for purchase on site only).

Location wise I'd want to be in southern NH to target the MA law enforcement communities and the MA tourists (as much as I would want a simple, club/pros only range I think the money would come in from the tourist renters, correct me if I'm wrong?

I really want to angle for a  "club" focused approach rather than rental based, as my personal passion with firearms is pistol training/defensive usage, and my desired target audience would be law enforcement professionals, competitors and plain old enthusiast like me.

In my head I see lanes of traditional firing lines that can be accessed by tourists in groups NO SINGLES, that rents by the hour, and pays to play with hardware and edibles. But what I really want is a "VIP" members area that's basically multiple modular USPSA/IDPA indoor course (or two or 3 or a hundred, you know, however many courses I can afford)

Members would pay a due to keep the lights on - maybe even group retainers from counties or PDs to float me - I don't know that's kind of why I'm posting this.

So this plan is long term, I'm currently not even residing in that state, that said when I am ready, I should have some decent financial momentum to actualize this.

Also, if I can't get in the black with the "club" approach that would mean fleshing out the tourist rental side pretty buff - full auto, short barreled, suppressed stuff from video games. The only experience I have with NFA stuff is a suppressor currently in jail that I paid the silencershop to write a trust up for. 

Please understand I would always have public firing lines available , the "club" aspect would just be a push for very nice dynamic, advanced ranges with barricades for club members to pay a higher-than-average rate for, or like have schedules nights for different police departments  to get their reps in.

I was hoping from input/feedback from other range owners, small business owners, or general input from the pistol community community on what they would "pay to play" on.

EDIT: I'm thinking individual rooms like an "airport" bay or a "bus station" or "grocery store" or "gas pumps" - does that make more sense? The courses would be modular but would be better representations of environments than some tires and netting. I'm getting pretty lofty here aren't I? Can you imagine two shot-to-shit SUVs crashed head on in the middle of an indoor course with loudspeakers blaring "ambient city noise" and "heckling crowds" as you drill?!?!?!?!?

The big thing I'm seeing is a need to understand zoning ordinances before choosing a location - this is another factor leaning me towards indoor range only.

I'm not asking for you guys to do my research for me, I'll be periodically revisiting the thread with more questions I've uncovered in my research.

Thanks folks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the idea of the individual rooms, each with their own scenarios.  I don't know anything about the business and haven't shot indoors in over a decade but that sounds like good training... and fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top