Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2017 6:24:25 PM EDT
I got a set of Dawson Precision Sights (Fiber Optic Front, Black Rear) for my VP9. This is the first time I've put aftermarket sights on a handgun.

So normally, I line up the top edge of the rear and front sight and cut the target in half with the line it makes. My question is how does the fiber optic dot come into play with these new sights. Am I supposed to gain a normal sight picture with the top edge of both the front and the rear? Or, do I put my dot on the target and cut it in half with the rear sight? I'm sure I'll be able to answer my question next time I'm at the range, but I want my dry firing to be squared away.

If the dot is just used for picking up the front sight during presentation I'll probably just paint it black. The only reason I wanted new sights was to have a thinner front sight. I find extra "features" on pistol sights to be distracting.

Make America Great Again,
Nick
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The sight picture is the same as plain black sight like you described. The fiber optic in the front sight is to help track the front sight during recoil and target transitions. It's not really needed for bullseye style shooting. 

Dawson offers plain black front sights in all different sizes that are cheaper than their fiber sights.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Line up the top of the rear sight with the top of the front sight.

the fiber ends up a bit below.

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright, good to know. I should've just gone with blacked sights. Nothing a little nail polish won't fix. Thanks fellas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top