Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2016 1:50:46 AM EDT
Gonna use my tax return for a class (likely HSP) but I'm curious how it works...
I fly to the city, buy ammo in that town, rent a car and grab a hotel? Am I over-looking anything?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the class, you may be able to have ammo shipped there so you aren't dependent on finding ammo in a strange town.  In most cases, it's a good idea to check with the instructor/training facility regarding plans, they may be able to recommend lodging and stuff, and may have ammunition you can buy onsite.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not seek out some local training providers first? This will provide for a great affordable learning experience to build on...
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not seek out some local training providers first? This will provide for a great affordable learning experience to build on...
View Quote

I agree with this.^^^  I don't know what part of PA you reside in, but I hear very good things about Rockwell Tactical. You  may what to check them out and drive there with your ammo for your first course. If you fly and cannot obtain needed materials it can be a show stopper.

Here is there link:http://www.rockwelltactical.com/
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
To echo the above I would say have ammo beforehand, either with you or shipped so that you can pick it up when you get there. When I take a course I print off the required and recommended equipment and make a checklist, making sure that I have everything needed before I pack up for the trip. The night before I always again make sure I have all my equipment cleaned, lubed and ready to go, and have as many mags as you have/need loaded up so that you don't have to worry about loading them during the course. Get a good nights sleep and make sure you are hydrated when you go to bed. Try to get up early enough to eat something in the morning before rushing off to your course. Try to be a few minutes early to sign any waivers and introduce yourself to the others in the course.

Most of all, listen well and HAVE FUN. There are good times had during the downtime of the day when some are reloading mags or grabbing snacks, and that is when you get the chance to hang out with your fellow peers and instructors and relax for a few minutes between training blocks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a plan to get back if you get injured during class.

I have had a severe ankle sprain, my plan was to drive a manual transmission truck 3 days home.  I did it, it sucked.  That was the easy one.

I dislocated a shoulder at another class, drove to the ER (did not have a cell phone with GPS on it at the time); had my GPS unit with me so that was fortunate.  Doc's were going to keep me overnight because they were about to give me serious pain meds; told the Doc no thank you, I have to catch a flight, can you shove it back it, he did.  I high tailed it back to class to pick up my gear, then back to the airport.  Guy I know was in the class (again fortunate, realized were in the same class, but this was not planned), he had my gear and was going to ship it to himself.

Both times the training school took good care of me, but there is only so much they can do.  

Both of these classes were more physical than most as it was force on force training.  

All injuries were caused to myself by myself.

Also be ready for the weather that will be at your destination.  I have found that I need to take all seasons of clothing, or buy some there if the weather changes.

EDIT:  Also take 2 magazines you do not mind tossing to the ground.  If you have malfunction clearances you may be stripping mags to the ground.  These are artificially set up so you should have time to use beater mags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can also ship ammo or other items to your HOTEL that your staying at.

I used to do this all the time when I was traveling doing shows. Just call ahead and talk to a manager and arrange it.

You will usually have to label the package with something like "For arriving guest Joe Blow 12/10/16"
View Quote

Agree, with a couple additions.

Have a couple empty mags. Some classes start with empty mag drills.

Choose a good Motel instead of a hotel. You can park at the door and load in/out with privacy, no trouncing through a hotel lobby. The school might suggest a motel they have a good relationship with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top