Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2016 3:42:29 PM EDT
While not tactical or high speed, I do have a question because I cannot math...

I want to make a torso target to put at 50 yards that simulates the human torso at 200 or 250 yards.  Given the distance of 50 yards, what size does a 12" torso width have to be scaled down to simulate the distance?

Thanks for your help!

ETA:  I know of the Apple Seed targets that have scaled targets on them for 25 yards, but I my range will not allow centerfire rifle at 25, only the 50.  I do get some occasional shooting at a friend's farm, but he will not allow past 100 and the availability is sketchy, as he only usually relegates that shooting time to drunk shooting at stuffed animals at point blank...
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
this isn't  scientifically   mathematical, but it will get you in the ball park on what it should be.

I have quite a few of the military ALTERNATIVE COURSE "C" RECORD FIRE  QUALIFICATION targets, it has scaled down silhouette targets. you place the target at 25 meters from the firing point,  it has what  silhouette targets would look like at  50meters to 300 meters.

the 200 meter man silhouette target on it is 4 inches high and 2.5 inches wide.  

you said you already figured the height from 50 yards would be 12 inches high, so I would guesstimate the width  would be something like a little more then half that, 6.5 or 7  inches or so. might even be a inch more  wider, given there are a shit load of fat fucks  now-a-days

like I said it's not scientific, but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Divide the yardage you want to simulate by the yardage you're using then divide the size of the target you're simulating by that number to get the target size you'll need to use.

Simulating a 200 yard 12" target at 50 yards: 200 / 50 = 4; 12 / 4 = 3". A 3" wide target at 50 yards will simulate a 12" target at 200 yards.

Simulating a 250 yard 12" target at 50 yards: 250 / 50 = 5; 12 / 5 = 2.4". A 2.4" wide target at 50 yards will simulate a 12" target at 250 yards.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, thanks for the responses!  On the plus side, I was already shooting at 3" targets prone and off hand, so I feel better!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top