Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2016 9:27:06 AM EDT
Need advice on ear plugs for hearing protection. Tired of earmuffs, and the small foam plug inserts aren't sufficient. I've seen guys wearing what looks to be moulded inserts, any advice?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Need advice on ear plugs for hearing protection. Tired of earmuffs, and the small foam plug inserts aren't sufficient. I've seen guys wearing what looks to be moulded inserts, any advice?
View Quote

Eta: I see the ones you mean

Have you tried a good quality plug though? They are definitely not all created equal. Plus most of those foam ones have to be inserted perfect to achieve their rating

These are what I use

They are Howard-Leight "AirSoft" plugs and have a NRR of 27

Howard-Leight also has their "Max" foam plugs that have an NRR of 33

I'm not a big fan of foam plugs you have to squish since whatever is on your fingers get on them. Plus they are slower to put in, which gets annoying if you're putting them in and taking them out a lot
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can get truly molded earpieces. They aren't totally spendy. But someone will have to pour goo in your ears to make the mold.

I don't know that any insert will be adequate for truly loud impulse noises, like large bore rifles, I typically use plugs AND muffs. Even though I have ear troubles with plugs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I used custom molder silicone plugs before, it was $40 about 10 years ago.  I'm not sure what the db rating is on these, but they blocked out noise well and were easy, quick to use, and comfortable.  Sometimes people will mold them at gun shows.  It's recommended you get new ones after a few years as your ear canal can change shape.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Another hit & run OP
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I know this is an older post, but I didn't want to start a new one. I'm struggling with ear pro.  I have a set of electronic Howard Leight Impact Sport's. They work well, but I can't get a good cheek weld. I tried a set of Surefire Sonic Defenders, the 25b nrr black ones, size medium. Now, a day after the range, my left ear is ringing like a mother.  I made sure they were seated correctly. Any thoughts on alternatives or my issues with the Surefire's? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Peltor makes a set of green three flange soft plastic plugs. They are sold at Walmart in packs of three or five for around 6 bucks. I've used them for years at ranges and at work. 21-22 reduction rating. Soft and comfortable for all day wear. I wear them on my 12 hour shifts at a tire plant.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never put the money into molded plugs, but have heard they are nice.

I prefer electronic muffs with disposable earplugs underneath.  If you do serious shooting, muffs plus plugs is absolutely the best way to #1. protect your hearing, #2. hear range commands.

Plugs simply don't offer the same protection as earmuffs, and two layers of ear protection is better than one.

Reducing Exposure to Lead and  Noise
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I got custom made silicone earplugs about 15 years ago, cost about $50 back then.  It was a good investment cause it blocked out noise well and easy to insert.

Overall though, I think the cheap foam plugs are the most effective for blocking sound over other ear plugs and ear muffs.

There is a do it yourself kit by Radians.  I haven't tried these myself.  There are youtube video reviews of it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A28P0M?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
NIOSH has done some good work looking into the effectiveness of earpro.  They've got it down to a science:

NIOSH recommends that hunters and shooters use double hearing protection every time a weapon is fired. Double protection involves wearing both earplugs and earmuffs. The best combination is a deeply-inserted foam earplug and a well-seated earmuff. Special care must be taken to ensure the earmuff remains sealed against the side of the wearer's head when safety glasses are worn....Earplugs were able to reduce the peak SPL by 10-30 dB and standard earmuffs yielded 20-38 dB of peak reduction....The combination of an earmuff and a deeply-inserted foam earplug can provide as much as 50 dB of peak reduction, which is adequate in most cases.
View Quote
link

That said I totally understand not being able to wear earmuffs and get a good cheek weld or squeeze muffs under a helmet.  Been there, done that.  If all I can do is use foam plugs, that's was I use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top