Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2016 12:10:22 PM EDT
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but lets talk about projectors.

Looking at getting a new one.  Do the smaller compact models have enough Lumens /clarity to be worth a darn?

I've seen them as cheap as $100 or less.

Back when I started teaching almost 15 years ago projectors ran upwards of $1,000 or more.  Sometimes twice that.

I've seen several models in the $200-300 range.

What models are you using?  Brands or recommendations.

I'd like to go for best bang for the buck.  Most of what I teach is on the range but there can be 1-2 hours in the class depending on the course.

thanks

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I came back hoping someone would have responded.

I know the technical end of it, and have engineered stuff to take to the field, but wondered about the current crop of projectors, especially the pico ones in the frame of trying to teach a class under a stand or something similar.

You know, like a toughbook projector? lol

You may have to weather the doldrums of GD for more input...
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I came back hoping someone would have responded.

I know the technical end of it, and have engineered stuff to take to the field, but wondered about the current crop of projectors, especially the pico ones in the frame of trying to teach a class under a stand or something similar.

You know, like a toughbook projector? lol

You may have to weather the doldrums of GD for more input...
View Quote

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of (GD)

Ideally a classroom would be available, but I want to be prepared to do some powerpoint on the range itself.

For "basic" classes there is no substitute for certain graphics and slides.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The small ones I have tried over the last 2 years usually wash out. I have had great luck with operation performance and sturdy enough for travel with an EPSON H249A.

Even this work horse does not do well in direct sunlight. You will need overhead cover and possible side screening. Check out EZUP portable Sun shades and their side wall options.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used overhead projectors when they are available at the training facility or range, and coordinated with my POC in advance with my material.

They usually have it ready on the PC, and I can just go through it with the class.

For most of my courses, I send homework out in advance covering what we would normally do in a classroom setting, and I look at all the homework answers of each attendee.

That way, we can jump right into shooting and maximize the range facilities.

I also bring a dry erase board with markers that I can have out on the range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The type of projector depends on how many students you have, lighting conditions, and where your classes will be taught.  Large classes, lighted rooms/outdoor classes, and using regular walls need brighter projectors.  smaller classes, darkened rooms, and using projector screens require less brightness.

My suggesttions:
<200 lumens for classes <8 in dark rooms.
<400 lumens for classes <8 in dim rooms
<1000 lumens for classes <20 in dim rooms
<2000 lumens for classes <15 in lighted rooms
2000-3000 lumens for classes <25 in lighted rooms

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#6]
outdoors, an ipad will be much better

pico projectors need grue darkness
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's kind of what I assumed.

Like OP, I don't want people clustered around a tiny screen trying to drive home a point. I like teaching outside, and it would be nifty, if, say, I could take a presenter camera and demonstrate how to field strip and maintain a pistol.

I've noticed that screen reflectivity and having a 'shroud' can help, but it still seems... too washed out.

This way, I'm not tied to a classroom, I can put on a clinic in a cow pasture, all I need is an extension cord off the inverter in the car that's transporting my other training stuff.

With these teeny flashlights with monster output, I had hopes that technology had transferred into the projector field.

I'm still surprised there isn't a militarized / ruggedized projector though.

A military friend tells me they just burn through whatever the contract happens to be.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Like OP, I don't want people clustered around a tiny screen trying to drive home a point. I like teaching outside, and it would be nifty, if, say, I could take a presenter camera and demonstrate how to field strip and maintain a pistol.
I've noticed that screen reflectivity and having a 'shroud' can help, but it still seems... too washed out.
This way, I'm not tied to a classroom, I can put on a clinic in a cow pasture, all I need is an extension cord off the inverter in the car that's transporting my other training stuff.
With these teeny flashlights with monster output, I had hopes that technology had transferred into the projector field.
A military friend tells me they just burn through whatever the contract happens to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no solution for using a projector out in the open as even the most powerful projectors aren't bright enough to overpower the sun.  Even tablets and laptop displays won't work.  They could work in the shade, but you still need a powerful projector.  Better to print out the slides on large paper, laminate them, and put them on an easel or hang it on a tree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top