Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2016 6:02:42 PM EDT
Sorry if I do not reply asap I don't have much internet access currently.  I picked up my first chest rig nothing fancy just a little TAG Phalanx.  Figure I will experiment with it and run it in some carbine matches to see if a chest rig is really for me.

My issues is doing reloads from the rig to the rifle.  My AR has a padded vtac sling attached to butt stock and out on the end of the carbine length handguard.  I am right handed and I can not manipulate my left arm to reach up and grab a mag without it interfering with the sling and pulling the rifle down.

I jave the rig as low as can comfortably be without it interfering with my sidearm.  Even with the sling as loose as possible my left arm pulls on the sling.  I can get photos if it would help, but the only way I can get a mag from the rig is if I keep the rifle shouldered and use my support hand to get a new mag but then I get fatigued in my right arm and it doesn't allow me to lower the gun and check the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Loosen sling.  Lift weights, train arm strength.  Profit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Sling is loose as it will go.

Arm strength is always getting better but in the mean time I just can not physically move to change mags everythibg is in the way the only way I think I could get the sling loose enough is of I adjusted its buckles amd lengthened the strap but then I will never be able to snug it up against my body for carry
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I looked on youtube for some videos but could not find anything good.

you should be able to pinch the rifle in your arm/body (right hand) and use the sling pulling against your body so that you are not holding the rifle in your right hand only.  rotate rifle so mag well is facing "inward" and rifle will be at slight angle.  this leaves a big gap b/t sling and your left arm to insert new magazine.

You will hear many things from many people, but there are emergency (oh crap) reloads, where you drop the mag and grab the one most easily accessible (from belt left side or furthest left in your chest rig/PC) and there are "admin" or non-oh-crap reloads, where you have time/safety to pull from your hardest to reach (for me, far right in chest rig).

not sure that helps...you can probably find some stuff online.  There are some good ones from Panteao productions with a variety of instructors (old ones are Travis Haley/Costa, newer ones are Mike Lamb, Pat Rogers, Paul Howe, etc).  Might be a good start.  or find a good intro carbine course.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I've been doing it wrong? I've always found it easy to roll the rifle and sort of stick the butt stock in my elbow crease.  It gave me support and it allow me to keep the rifle up so that my attention wasn't taken away from what's in front of me.

If I stick the butt stock into my armpit area I can maneuver around everything easily.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maybe I've been doing it wrong? I've always found it easy to roll the rifle and sort of stick the butt stock in my elbow crease.  It gave me support and it allow me to keep the rifle up so that my attention wasn't taken away from what's in front of me.

If I stick the butt stock into my armpit area I can maneuver around everything easily.
View Quote

Muzzle up, rotate the magwell in toward the centerline of your body, and trap the stock between your bicep and pec. The stock doesn't need to be all the way up in your armpit.

Your firing hand should be in about the same position as it would be for a pistol reload.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I was injured overseas 4 yrs ago.   in my back.   needed rods and screws and had 4 fused. vertebrae  dr's  were military.
don't think civie docs do more than 2-3 I am told..       I still teach a lot. maybe this will help

I tuck the butt under my right armpit.
roll it RIGHT  opens up the mag well for left hand insertion
grab a mag off the chest
insert
PULL DOWN HARD
slap the bolt release with left hand
go back to work

does  not stress my right shoulder after a days trg
Most of the time I am able to  "reload off the sling with  tension"
must be kept loose

best I can do

good luck

1 texan
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I was shown a little different way to wear a two point sling at a Max Velocity Tactical CTT class that blew my mind.  I was having the same problem with reloads.  Hold the rifle by the stock muzzle down with your right hand and the sling with you left hand, then put your head in the sling first, then your right arm  , it will give you some slack when you raise your rifle, cant your magwell to the left during the reload, then the sling will not be in your way.  

Before the class, the sling would lay across my right shoulder and ran under my left armpit.

Now the sling  lays across my left shouder and runs under my right armpit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was shown a little different way to wear a two point sling at a Max Velocity Tactical CTT class that blew my mind.  I was having the same problem with reloads.  Hold the rifle by the stock muzzle down with your right hand and the sling with you left hand, then put your head in the sling first, then your right arm  , it will give you some slack when you raise your rifle, cant your magwell to the left during the reload, then the sling will not be in your way.  

Before the class, the sling would lay across my right shoulder and ran under my left armpit.

Now the sling  lays across my left shouder and runs under my right armpit.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h411/jcmoses/CTT-April_zpsmlrftnxn.jpg
View Quote
I used to use a sling that way since I'm cross dominant, and it made rifle to pistol transitions easier. However, I found that the sling would often end up around your waist during vigorous movement. Especially if your move muzzle down. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
OK this should not be that difficult.  Trying to diagnose stuff like this over the internet, sight unseen, is probably stupid, but then that's right up my alley.

Depends on your position.  It sounds like you're just doing everything from standing position.  In this case, it should be a matter of figuring out what technique(s) works best for you.  First, I would try moving the front sling attachment point further aft.  This should give you more sling.  If not, get a longer sling.  Loop it left or right; see what works best.  Then look at what you need to do to take up the rifle weight.  Armpit tuck, elbow tuck, whatever, figure out what works for you.   Look at which position works the best, as far as where the rifle is when you reload.  Try and get it up as much as possible in the "work space" so you can keep an eye on things, but get it where it needs to be so you can reload.  Grab the mag, push/pull like others have said.  It just sounds like you need to quit worrying about how everyone else does it and figure what works best for you.

Kneeling.  A little easier here since you have better support.  You can use your chest more to help steady the rifle while you switch mags.  

Prone.  Can be harder, but, since you're using a chest rig, should be OK.  May have to cant the rifle more to insert mag.

Sometimes I just loop the sling over my neck and go from there.  Easy to loop an arm in for travel/whatever when necessary.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry if I do not reply asap I don't have much internet access currently.  I picked up my first chest rig nothing fancy just a little TAG Phalanx.  Figure I will experiment with it and run it in some carbine matches to see if a chest rig is really for me.

My issues is doing reloads from the rig to the rifle.  My AR has a padded vtac sling attached to butt stock and out on the end of the carbine length handguard.  I am right handed and I can not manipulate my left arm to reach up and grab a mag without it interfering with the sling and pulling the rifle down.

I jave the rig as low as can comfortably be without it interfering with my sidearm.  Even with the sling as loose as possible my left arm pulls on the sling.  I can get photos if it would help, but the only way I can get a mag from the rig is if I keep the rifle shouldered and use my support hand to get a new mag but then I get fatigued in my right arm and it doesn't allow me to lower the gun and check the chamber.
View Quote

I had a similar issue, it was very simple for me. It was the sling use. period.

I like the rifle to be tight into my body when I am walking around so I cinch my 2-point vickers up tight against my rig until I am ready ti use it.

When I am getting prepared to use it, or before a match begins I will loosen it all the way, take my left arm out of the sling entirely, and let the sling only drape over my neck.

In this fashion I can shoulder it, run the bolt fully, drop the stock under my armpit and load/unload, move to off-shoulder shooting around left cover, etc. In strenuous training I found this to be the only way for me.

Hope it helps!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sometimes I just loop the sling over my neck and go from there.  Easy to loop an arm in for travel/whatever when necessary.
View Quote
I normally just loop the sling around my head when holding and using the rifle since it gives me the most freedom of movement. I can put in either arm and tighten it up across the front or back to go hands free when needed. In the LE world, you have to put the rifle across the back more often than the front when going hand-on, and having the sling around the neck makes that transition quicker and easier. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I normally just loop the sling around my head when holding and using the rifle since it gives me the most freedom of movement. I can put in either arm and tighten it up across the front or back to go hands free when needed. In the LE world, you have to put the rifle across the back more often than the front when going hand-on, and having the sling around the neck makes that transition quicker and easier. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.  If you're using the rifle, swing your support arm through the sling so it's looped only around your neck.  For carry, put your support arm back through.  This also allows you to get the sling tight enough for carry so that it's not bouncing around and banging into your knees/legs, while still giving you enough room to transition shoulders when it's slung around your neck.

As has been said for the reload part, muzzle up, rotated slightly in towards your body.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Rifle should be up in your workspace like this.  Maybe even a little higher.  Should clear your magazines.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top