Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2015 3:42:35 PM EDT
Has anyone here taken the 4day practical rifle course at Front Sight and can offer an opinion on it? My brother has a precision oriented AR and I am wanting to get him and myself into a class to improve our skills. The slight downside being that he doesn't seem overly interested in a tactical rifle course, but only in precision applications. However, I'm having some trouble finding a course that bills itself as a precision course that doesn't require .308 or similar. Front Sight's offering SEEMS to be the best suited to the task, but I was hoping to get some Arfcom opinions about the course/school, and possibly some suggestions for ones that might work better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been to FS for multiple courses, the rifle course included.  It is not a "precision" shooting course, unless you count learning/relearning the basics of sight picture, sight alignment, and trigger control.  The longest shot you'll take in the rifle course is a few strings of fire at 200 yds, but most of your shooting will be within 100 yds and a considerable amount of that is 25 yds and less.  

FS's 2-day and 4-day Practical Rifle Course is really a beginners course, but unfortunately, you can't get into their Precision Course until you earn a "DG" or distinguished graduate in the basic course (90% or better on the skills test).  Overall, their courses are good, their instructors are polite and fairly knowledgeable, and their facilities are outstanding.  The curriculum is kind of basic and the methodology is "by the book" and down to the minute wrt the topics, but that's kind of what you want with a beginner course.  

I've always felt safe there and enjoy their courses.  

Let me know if you have any other "specific" questions about the course or the facility.  

rich
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been to the FS Practical Rifle course a couple times, just missed getting Distinguished Graduate to advance on by a couple points. Think I had a perfect score through the test except I missed all of he 200 yard shots.  A lot of it was based on speed from the different readies and positions...standing, kneeling, prone.  They changed the test a little since I last took it.  I typically see a wide variety of shooters taking the course from newbies to law enforcement and military to expert shooters.  I typically see about 5% to 10% of the class passing the test with Distinguished Graduate which allows them to take the more advanced classes, like precision rifle.

The class is great for beginners, but still challenges good shooters.  If you want to go the FS route, then get a copy of the skills test and practice it before going up so you have a better chance of making DG on your first time around.  Most people use AR type rifles, and red dot scopes make it easier.  You also have to practice the malfunction drills which are part of the test and timed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anyone here taken the 4day practical rifle course at Front Sight and can offer an opinion on it? My brother has a precision oriented AR and I am wanting to get him and myself into a class to improve our skills. The slight downside being that he doesn't seem overly interested in a tactical rifle course, but only in precision applications. However, I'm having some trouble finding a course that bills itself as a precision course that doesn't require .308 or similar. Front Sight's offering SEEMS to be the best suited to the task, but I was hoping to get some Arfcom opinions about the course/school, and possibly some suggestions for ones that might work better.
View Quote

I think if you tried to find an SPR or DMR course that might be a better fit. From some quick googling 1moa solutions, Saurez Intl, and Magpul offers a course like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top