Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2015 5:45:06 PM EDT
This was her first time out on the AK and 2nd on the AR. Both are her guns, I gave them to her for her birthday back in October! She wanted them instead of more jewelry! An Arsenal SAM7 and Colt 6920. She like the 6920 the best but prefers the AK sights over the the YMH QDS sights on her AR. After setting the iron sights on both rifles for a 50 yard zero she was able to make consistent hits at 250 yards with iron sights on a 12x22" steel plate while shooting off hand standing up. I thought she did pretty dam good for being new to rifles! Shit, I couldn't do much better! She had a great time and wants to keep training and learning more!
First picture you can barley see the target at 250 yards. The front sight was many times the width of the plate at this distance so nice tight groups were very difficult!

She still got like 17 or 18(can't quite tell) shots out of 20 on the plate

This was a mix of shots from both the AR and AK at 250 yards and pulled off a few head shots:

Had some fun with the dueling tree also:

At the end of the day she helped me break down the guns and clean everything up. Wish every day could be like this!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Definite Keeper!!  

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You, sir, are living the dream!  

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice work
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for her and you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
She wanted the rifles more than jewelry? Does she have a sister? I swear to God, I'll leave my wife right now if she does!
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
She's a better shooter than I am.  But most women who take it seriously are.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Well done!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Well done!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Great pictures. I recognized Colorado. Check out tacdeck.com for firearms training cards.  I met them at the Tanner gun show in Denver about a month ago.  Bought a deck of their handgun training cards and then went back and purchased their SWAT rifle, Navy Seal, and shotgun decks. They're awesome for beginning shooters and advanced shooters too.  I took these decks of cards and some rifles to the range with some friends and we had a blast (literally).  They're a great way to get more proficient with your firearms and develop your skills.  you can find them at tacdeck.com and on Facebook.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You are the man, keep up the great work. She loves it, so that means you are making it challenging for her and it's obvious that you two make each other better.

Great photos, and thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great pictures. I recognized Colorado. Check out tacdeck.com for firearms training cards.  I met them at the Tanner gun show in Denver about a month ago.  Bought a deck of their handgun training cards and then went back and purchased their SWAT rifle, Navy Seal, and shotgun decks. They're awesome for beginning shooters and advanced shooters too.  I took these decks of cards and some rifles to the range with some friends and we had a blast (literally).  They're a great way to get more proficient with your firearms and develop your skills.  you can find them at tacdeck.com and on Facebook.
View Quote

Cool! I'll check it out!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the comments everyone!

We have not shot much since this thread started. We have been shooting a couple times but are conserving the ammo we have and buy all we can afford in anticipation for a huge panic and gun/ammo shortage come this summer/election.

What are you guys doing about this possibility?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#13]
BULLY GOOD SHOW!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
We have not shot much since this thread started. We have been shooting a couple times but are conserving the ammo we have and buy all we can afford in anticipation for a huge panic and gun/ammo shortage come this summer/election. What are you guys doing about this possibility?
View Quote

Certainly a possibility and perhaps a probability.

However I would advise that you don't sacrifice/neglect your training at the cost of savings, as it could cost you your life.

Save your defensive carry ammo for defensive needs and barter, and while saving up your less expansive practice ammo - set aside a small portion to dedicate to your regular training program where you confirm your dry practice drills. If structured correctly all you will need is about 20 rounds per week to confirm your training.

A self paced and solid training program (dry practice drills 3-4 days a week with a day of range training/confirmation) will make sure you get every pennies worth of investment back.

Also, consider investing in some high end airsoft rifles (AR/AK) that approximate your current systems so you can supplement your dry practice and train CQC skills (fast presentations, multiple targets at close range, small targets at close range, etc.)
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Excellent work.

If you're not planning on an optic for the AR then I'd consider replacing that MBUS with a fixed sight that offers a little cleaner sight picture like the Daniel Defense or even a takeoff Colt carry handle from the EE (I've done that for two of my 6920s). FWIW, shooters who are inexperienced with peep sights often find notch and post sights like an AK a little more intuitive since they can see them line up easier than seeing a post centered in a ghost ring. I had the same issue with my dad the first time he shot an AR after growing up with notch and post sights. He kept trying line the front sight ears up with the top of the ghost ring or the base of the post with the bottom of the ghost ring because "things had to be lined up". The eye will naturally want to center the top of the post in the circle, so remind her not to overthink it. Obviously, she's doing fine anyway if she's hitting C-zones at 250 yards.

As for ammo, it's fairly cheap right now, so start buying a case a month leading up to the election. That should give you enough to weather any panic shortage based on how long the previous ones lasted.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Great advice! We are working on ammo and doing just that. She has both sights down pretty well which I fell is important as you never know what gun you may end up with. Thanks again and thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#17]
That's awesome my man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top