Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 9:40:20 AM EDT
A 2012 piece by William S. Lind: What's So Special about Special Ops?'

(Just so you know this is not a 'hater piece,' William S. Lind is former USMC and one of the originators of Fourth Generation Warfare Theory (4GW) - HERE is a link to SOFREP which links to Lind's piece)

Very interesting. Article pasted here:

In the face of the failure of America’s conventional military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Washington establishment seeks a silver bullet, a “force of choice” that can win. It thinks it has found one in Special Operations Forces, which include most famously the Navy’s SEALs and the Army’s Green Berets.

Experience is the best teacher, as the old saying goes, but she kills all her pupils. Experience is likely to teach us that against Fourth Generation non-state enemies Special Operations Forces are no silver bullet. We could learn the same lesson beforehand through a bit of reflection, without expending the lives of some of our best and most admirable men.

The first reason is that the strategic objectives the foreign-policy establishment sets are unattainable by any military. Not even an army of elves and ents could remake Third World hellholes into Switzerland. And as Russell Kirk wrote, there is no surer way to make a man your enemy than to tell him you are going to remake him in your image for his own good.

Second, while there is wide variance within the Special Operations community, most SOF units share the same problems that afflict our conventional forces. They, too, are stuck in the Second Generation of modern war, with an inward-focused culture of order that reduces the complex art of war to putting firepower on targets.

SOF are more skilled at techniques than their conventional counterparts, but techniques are not a typical American weakness. Our armed forces are technically capable across the board.

Techniques and tactics are not only different but opposite in nature—the first is formulistic and the second should be situational—and like our conventional forces, SOF are mostly not tactically competent, at least from what I have seen of them. Few American Special Operations units know light-infantry (“Jaeger”) tactics, without which they depend tactically on massive fire support (usually air strikes) that in Fourth Generation war works to the enemy’s advantage. They do not even know the basic Third Generation maneuver-warfare tactics the German army evolved late in World War I. They use their superior techniques merely to put more fire more accurately on more targets in wars of attrition against enemies who are not sensitive to losses.

SOF’s tactical obsolescence is doubly harmful in that they are often employed to train the forces of the weak states we are attempting to support. By teaching them Second Generation firepower/attrition war, we undermine their effectiveness while making them dependent on firepower they are unlikely to have once we depart. Beyond the level of techniques, we are too frequently the Typhoid Mary of military advice.

The picture at higher levels of war is also grim. SOF understand operational art no better than the rest of the American military, which is to say they can spell it. (This is now evident in the increasingly desperate attempts of the American command in Afghanistan to respond to green-on-blue attacks. They are trying to counter an operational move by the Taliban at the tactical level, which is doomed to failure.) This is an especially serious failing for Special Operations Forces because what makes an operation “special” is that it is operational, not just tactical. The result is that most American “special operations” are merely tactical actions with fancy techniques, the equivalent of raids by police SWAT teams. Our Special Operations Forces get dribbled away in minor events that, again, add up to a war of attrition. Night raids to kill or capture Taliban squad leaders are a long way from Otto Skorzeny’s rescue of Mussolini, which was the model special operation.

SOF fare no better at the strategic level. There, attrition has been and remains the American way of war, and Special Operations Forces are employed accordingly.

In Fourth Generation war, Special Operations Forces share yet another weakness with our conventional forces: they are American. With the important exception of Special Forces (the Green Berets), they take America with them wherever they go to war. After an action, they go back to a base that is “little America,” with air conditioning, steak, and the Internet. The locals, whether enemies or allies, look on with envy that soon shades into hatred.

This feeds a central problem in Fourth Generation war, what Martin van Creveld calls the power of weakness. With our overwhelming technical and equipment advantages, luxurious (by local standards) way of life, and nice country to go home to after we have wrecked someone else’s, we are Goliath. Our opponents, however repulsive, become David. How many people identify with Goliath?

In the end, Special Operations Forces differ from the conventional armed forces that have failed repeatedly against Fourth Generation opponents primarily by putting on a better show. Their techniques can be dazzling. But few wars are won by superiority in technique.

A general rule of warfare is that a higher level trumps a lower, and technique is the lowest level of all. Our SEALs, Rangers, Delta, SF, and all the rest are vastly superior to the Taliban or al-Qaeda at techniques. But those opponents have sometimes shown themselves able at tactics, operations, and strategy. We can only defeat them by making ourselves superior at those higher levels of war. There, regrettably, Special Operations Forces have nothing to offer. They are just another lead bullet in an obsolete Second Generation arsenal.

William S. Lind is director of the American Conservative Center for Public Transportation.

I found this a very interesting commentary. After reading it, a light-bulb went off in my head: so many times, when dealing with the 'tacticool' I have accused various types of being resistant to real tactical training, in particular for civilians. But perhaps it was something else, something in the subconscious? So let's not assign malice to incompetence:

When these conversations on tactics are again and again pulled back down to discussions on the best, for example, cheek weld, or whatever, it is always pulling the conversation back down to very basic techniques. Yes, basics are important, but within the scope of actually being able to do SUT. It is likely that many of these guys simply 'Don't Know What They Don't Know.' Are they perhaps simply technique, not tactics, guys, and that is why so many focus on very simple techniques, and do not take the next natural step in the progression and put it all together in the form of Tactics/ SUT?

Now, I don't believe that is the case in all circumstances, and there are many Ranger / SF / light infantry guys out there who really know their stuff. But there is definitely something to this, whether it comes from 'survivor bias,' specific experience and training, or the specific school(s) a 'non-combat veteran' has attended, which has colored their own tactical world view, etc.  

Interesting.

HERE is the link to the 4GW Paper, for those who are interested.

Exract:

Light infantry must have a full tactical repertoire. It cannot be accustomed merely to holding positions, or calling for fire support whenever it contacts the enemy. It must be expert at ambushes, penetrations and encirclements in both rural and urban settings. Light infantry tactics are above all hunting or stalking tactics. They must rely heavily on stealth, invisibility and trickery. To real light infantry, ambush is a mentality, not merely a technique. To make this a reality there must be a complete overhaul of our troops’ training. Although total training time must increase, the emphasis should shift away from specific techniques and technical skills. Instead, it should be placed on tactical concepts, the inculcation of a “hunter mindset” and the ability to make rapid but sound decisions, based on the (necessarily limited) information at hand.

I had the following comment from Josh on the version of this post on the MVT Forum:

Max,

Another excellent piece from the much-respected Bill Lind. Being in the Marine Corps, I’m pretty familiar with his work on maneuver warfare and 4GW. I wanted to provide a real world anecdote to back up a concept he mentioned above.

The relevant quote is “Light infantry is the best counter to irregulars because it offers three critical capabilities. First, good light infantry (unless badly outnumbered) can usually defeat almost any force of irregulars it is likely to meet. It can do this in a “man to man” fight that avoids the “Goliath” image.” That last sentence is what I want to hone in on.

I won’t recount the play-by-play details of my first firefight right now, but I will relate the relevant bits: I made the poor decision to try and implement supporting arms during a contact that really didn’t call for that. As a young 2ndLt that had been taught the United States method of “working from big booms to small booms”, I immediately answered in the affirmative when asked by the COC if I wanted Excalibur (GPS-guided artillery) and/or a Javelin shot. Equipment malfunctions and errors in communication brought the already-slow process of using supporting arms to complete stop. After 15 minutes of not maneuvering, I basically said “screw it” and told the guys back at the COC to cancel all requests for supporting arms.

I took some Marines and Afghan soldiers on a flanking assault against the enemy position, but by the time we actually got around to executing maneuver and closing with the compound the insurgents had used, they had already bugged out. Feeling like a failure for coming up empty-handed due to my poor tactical decision making, I eventually led the patrol back to our OP. The immediate lesson learned was that for a small, lightly-armed, agile enemy, supporting arms were just too slow. Launching into immediate, aggressive maneuver would have been the right call. Heck, given their lack of marksmanship, I think even just an immediate frontal assault would have worked better.

That was all I thought was to really be taken from that contact – get my guys in their first firefight and learn what to do better next time. I was wrong.

Flash forward about five months later. The AO was totally different. We had gone from firefights every day with locals scared to leave their houses, to no firefights for a couple months and locals conducting business in the bazaar. I was on a night patrol with my Marines down where that first firefight had taken place. We saw a local farmer out working the ground (not unusual in Helmand, since it can be so hot during the day), and we stopped to talk to him.

After a while, we got to a point in the conversation where he said something like this: “We really hated the unit that was here before you. They got into firefights with the Taliban and just dropped bombs on them and went home. All they did was blow up our houses and leave. But then you guys showed up and things changed. About five months ago, a group of your people got in a firefight with the Taliban in that field right there, and instead of dropping bombs, the Marines split into two forces. One attacked from the left and one attacked from the right, actually running toward the Taliban. It was the bravest thing I have ever seen, and I have liked you guys ever since.”

He was talking about my first firefight. Now, his misunderstanding of our tactics aside (the force “on the left” was a base of fire – they just stayed in place to support the right hook), he was actually impressed by what he saw us doing. He hadn’t seen maneuver before. He hadn’t seen dismounted grunts do what dismounted grunts are supposed to do. He had just seen – as Lind puts it – Goliath stomping around all over their homes. We showed him a different way, a better way, and I think the fact that our company flipped the “totem pole of DOCICs” and worked from small booms up to big booms (which were rarely ever needed) has a LOT to do with how we were able to stabilize that AO and calm the fighting down.

Hope that adds to the discussion.
Josh
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
tfl
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I honestly don't know of any Marines  who refers to Lind as well respected behind closed doors
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The real problem was identified early in the two papers. Strategic goals in OEF and OIF were unrealistic. Everything below that is a moot point. SOF is not tactically or technically defunct they are simply used incorrectly by the administration. The brigade and below fight is for the most part well executed. The two most limiting factors there are 1) operating within the guidelines from higher and 2) a severe risk aversion from officers with regard to casualties both friendly and civilian.  

Above brigade level you get people trying to fight Afghanistan like Iraq thinking that prior route clearance was a good idea on multiday mounted operations instead of using air assets or sending a foot mobile force to fight an enemy 2 mountain ranges over. Tactical failures then can hardly be attributed to a green platoon leader.

Comparing SF operations to swat raids is disingenuous. The northern alliance and hunting of OBL in the first months of Afghanistan was masterfully done. So was the killing of saddams sons and then saddams capture. Not just the execution of the hits but the Intel and mobility utilized could really only have been done with SOF spearheading that.

For units that do utilize small unit tactics they do it very well. The failure is at the strategic level.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting.  I'll dig into the 4GW piece later.  I think the truth is in the middle of the OP and the post above mine.  Our small unit leaders (infantry, armor and SOF) certainly do know small unit tactics at squad through brigade level, whether they use them or not is up to them.

I have definitely witnessed the risk aversion in play where light infantry units would just stay in the trucks with a "death before dismount" attitude.  I didn't have that option being an embedded trainer, the Afghans didn't have armor so they were going to dismount.  I saw dismount and maneuver as the better method given that particular operational environment and enemy so that suited me fine.

I certainly agree with the technique-tactic-strategy hierarchy, the best techniques and tactics in the world won't mean squat with a failing strategy.  A sound strategy can make up for a lot of poor technique and tactics (see, well, any "lost" insurgency).
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Great post, just not enough people visit the training section to make it worthwhile.  There are some former or current SOF guys on arfcom who could better chime in.  GD would bring about 30% great solid words of wisdom and 70% BS but it would be worth it to wade through that 70% of BS just to get that 30% of truth.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I honestly don't know of any Marines  who refers to Lind as well respected behind closed doors
View Quote

Did he even serve in the Marines?  I'm not seeing any references that elaborate on that.

He was a Congressional advisor. Where's his service from?

"4th Gen Warfare" has been around since civilizations clashed with each other.  Deception, information war, narcotics wars, sabotage, subversion, active placement of assets within enemy's finance and government-it's all detailed in Sun Tsu, just nobody reads it.

One problem with the premise is that SOF units operate independently for strategic campaigns, when in fact, they are part of a combined effort that included:

* Senior leadership who have a big picture view of the AOR and region
* Intelligence assets, both battlefield and HUMINT
* SIGINT
* Diplomatic agencies
* Local nationals
* Irregular forces
* IO assets

These programs are all coordinated to bring about certain objectives, and there are schools constantly reevaluating doctrine, TTP's, regional orientation, and real world outcomes to improve the overall force.
While people hear about a small % of SOF operations, which are usually light infantry in nature if you hear about them, they never hear about the 95% of what units actually do, nor should they.

IO and other aspects of Sun Tsu are alive and will among professionals, though we always have room to improve.  As to the reliance on non organic supporting arms, there are plenty of units that like to fire and maneuver, while others hunker down and waste time with developing a COA.  Even conventional units have charged up steep hills in the face of Taliban ambushes, and gained immediate respect for it, which changed the nature of how they were targeted initially, but made them even more targeted in the long term since they were such a threat.  There was a Platoon from 10th Mountain that did that, named Outlaw Platoon, from 2/87 Inf.

Outsiders are not going to see any headlines like this:  "Combined Special Forces Task Force defeats insurgent cells with a combination of deception, local mercenaries, elaborate disinformation, and integrated signals and human intelligence assets in the region!"

A cursory grazing over of what SOG was doing in SEA will tell you that there are actual professionals in the US SOF community that are all about using everything in their means to defeat the enemy, starting with his mind. These operations can't be advertised for obvious reasons, so speculators on the outside can write all the critiques they want, because they don't really have a clue what is going on in both the big picture or the unit-level picture.

There are valid points to be made about going native versus insulating yourself from locals, and some units within SOCOM do well with that, while others aren't meant to.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
He was not in the Marines he was a congressional staffer

The reason many Marines dislike him, he had a habit of showing up at Camp Lejeune for CAPPEXs in Cammies and without saying it tried to make the Marines think he was former Marine
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I could find no reference to actual military service with a search.

There was just some BS about him responding to criticism that he has never led troops in battle, where he "cut that person off at the knees".

I'm not sure where he's getting his ideas about Special Operations units, but it certainly isn't first-hand, which makes it pretty much anecdotal at best.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I could find no reference to actual military service with a search.

There was just some BS about him responding to criticism that he has never led troops in battle, where he "cut that person off at the knees".

I'm not sure where he's getting his ideas about Special Operations units, but it certainly isn't first-hand, which makes it pretty much anecdotal at best.
View Quote

His experience seems to be on the political end, which means he works for the people that are supposed to resource and employ SOF, as well as write the laws governing their equipment and personnel systems.

So his perspective is then very important.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Bill Lind's first hand experience is only on the political end, he wrote/writes mostly theoretical "doctrine" material for the employment of light infantry tactics. SOF theory is "mentioned" in these manuals due to several incidents that envolved SOF units being deployed into situations not suited for special operations. SOF units have been often described as a precision scalpel. Some missions require a machete, and SOF units were used by "decision makers" not listening to leaders / boots on the ground which ended in mission failure.

As far as Bill coming from a political background and his perspective being important, well that's debatable. As far as writing the laws govern SOF ROE's, okay...he may have ground to stand on.

As far as being an expert on equipment and personnel systems....my opinion NO. It's kinda like me writing a manual on how to be a farmer. I hang around a lot of farmers...I listen to them, I even know how to drive a tractor, but what experience do I have in writing a manual on being a farmer? I have no credibility.

My problem with guys that try to write military doctrine who have never served in combat is this....they've never had to lead men in battle, they've never been shot at, they can only ASSUME that tactical situations are unique fluid and dynamic and the deletion and addition of one or more factors will affect the tactics to be concidered. One person, one inch, one round, one second can affect the history of the battlefield whether it be a win or loss.

Politics usually in the situation of where "higher ups" cannot relinquish control by giving commanders, boots on the ground, command authority usually end in failure. Look at operation Jawbreaker. The SOF and OGA units had multiple chances to kill Osama Bin Laden. They were not given command authority. The decision. By higher was to let "host nation" assets capture Bin Laden, a political move. Look at Iraq. The political decision to hand over the country back too early. What about the political decision to pull out troops from Afghanistan on date "x"? Look at Syria, SOF units and CAS isn't gonna do it. We need full scale troops, if we want to win. Once again Syria needs a chainsaw, not a scalpel.

Bottom line, in my opinion, politics and war don't mix. At the same time, it's unavoidable. As far as the validity of Bill Lind's opinion on military tactics....I'll pass, not credible. His example of a Marine LT not being able to get timely call for fire on a target....well I've had to take the handset from several Marine Lt's in order to get the support we needed. The use of small unit tactics in Fallujah whether they use traditional CQB tactics or "combat clear" (clearing most of the room from outside the door) resulted in mass casualties. They regrouped, utilized supporting arms and snipers, although Marines and soldiers still had to clear almost every building...you can't say that every battle in the future will be like the last. Learn from your past, continually enhance your tactics with evolving situation. The US military hasn't done a good job in the past with this.

Bill's opinion/article on SOF units is wrong in my opinion and probably influence by his continual requests being denied to interview and observe T1 assets. The Marine Corp has since restricted his access to observe training. I'm not saying Bill holds no credibility, I'm just saying that people should just consider the "source" before drawing an opinion. With that said...I just posted my opinion and I could be totally full of shit! I'm just saying, if you haven't been there....well honestly....who the fuck are you to be telling me to do this? I'm not trying to start an Internet war because that's like entering a blowjob competition...even if you win or loose.....your a cocksucker.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As far as being an expert on equipment and personnel systems....my opinion NO. It's kinda like me writing a manual on how to be a farmer. I hang around a lot of farmers...I listen to them, I even know how to drive a tractor, but what experience do I have in writing a manual on being a farmer? I have no credibility.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

DOPMA, ROPMA, Goldwater-Nichols, all of these things dictate personnel policy. It comes right from Congress.

Quoted:
Bottom line, in my opinion, politics and war don't mix. At the same time, it's unavoidable.

War is politics with the addition of other means. This is as true now as it was 200 years ago.

I don't disagree with anything else that you said, but it's always interesting to see what other people think of how things work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#13]
First, civilians have an absolute right to criticize the military. In fact, until we see a political leader with the will to fire about 30% of our generals, continue to expect to see us lose wars.

Second, SOF under SOCOM is nothing but a self licking ice cream cone. SOF under their owning services and combatant commanders is a masterful capability that would stay true to relative need and offer an enhanced capability across the spectrum of missions. But that genie isn't going back into the bottle and its going to further reduce our military capabilities.

But that isn't what happens now, SOF is the mission and it's a square in a round hole. In ten years half our military will be "SOF" since we've already violated the principals that they aren't to be mass produced, and that they don't exist for direct action. Mission creep is a bitch...
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First, civilians have an absolute right to criticize the military. In fact, until we see a political leader with the will to fire about 30% of our generals, continue to expect to see us lose wars.

Second, SOF under SOCOM is nothing but a self licking ice cream cone. SOF under their owning services and combatant commanders is a masterful capability that would stay true to relative need and offer an enhanced capability across the spectrum of missions. But that genie isn't going back into the bottle and its going to further reduce our military capabilities.

But that isn't what happens now, SOF is the mission and it's a square in a round hole. In ten years half our military will be "SOF" since we've already violated the principals that they aren't to be mass produced, and that they don't exist for direct action. Mission creep is a bitch...
View Quote

Civilians certainly have a right to criticize whatever they want, but they don't have a right to claim they know what's going when they really don't even have a baseline language to understand what little they do have access to.

I'm not sure I'm following on DA.  DA is one of the core mission profiles for:

SF
Ranger Regiment
SEALs
MARSOC

It has been that way from the start, even before SOCOM was formed.  DA was a critical core mission profile for SF in 1952, with the European Theater in focus.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
I read it and thought - "He doesn't know what he's talking about."

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Another person who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Criticize all you want, but your criticism doesn't mean much when you don't have enough background information to know what your talking about.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean where to start?
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#18]
SOF are the only ones who've attempted to make changes necessary to fight the GWOT.

While I think our current military is situated very poorly to deal with the problems at hand, SOF is hardly the problem. They also are not a magical solution to large and complex problems. Neither is airpower.

While extremely good at what they do, SOF works best as a small part of the overall joint fight, or for very small missions with very limited scope.

Conventional land forces are going to be a critical major element of any large victory to be had. Our land forces are organized, trained and equipped to be part of a joint force prepared to fight WWIII. This is the worst way to fight the modern unconventional threat. Until we change the way we organize, train, equip and provide joint fire support for our conventional land forces in a meaningful manner, we will continue to have bad results.

Intelligence collection, targeting, fire support, distribution of critical enablers all need a significant overhaul from the Operational to tactical levels. At the Strategic to Operational level, correctly applying Operational Art has evaded us routinely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top