Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 12:03:11 AM EDT
I've heard a few YouTube personalities and magazine authors talk about "accomplished shooters". I suspect they meant "experienced", however it sounded like they meant "skilled", or maybe both. Im not sure. So what defines the level of expertise and or skill? How much training does a shooter need to be considered accomplished? Any insight would be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
If a shooter is able to consistently hit the target then he's accomplished; however, there's more:  If a shooter actually UNDERSTANDS his craft as well as the weapons he uses, AND knows how to explain both his skill and weapons to others in such a way that they readily understand his explanations then he is, demonstrably, accomplished.  

In order to be recognized as an accomplished shooter a certain amount of either physical or intellectual evidence is necessary; i.e.,  peer group recognition evidenced by:  trophies, certificates, credentials, punctured targets, or even a history of dead or wounded adversaries.  

Jerry Miculek is an accomplished shooter; and he has a history of personal awards, prizes, professional wins, and video evidence to prove it.  Wild Bill Hickok was, also accomplished; and he had the personal reputation, and dead bodies to qualify him as being an accomplished shooter, too.  Simply stated, if a shooter is accomplished then his shooting skills are both demonstrable, AND repeatable at will - His will.  

(Hope this helps!)  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Being able to kill everything you see.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Unconscious competence. Being able to deliver on demand anywhere, anytime with most any weapon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unconscious competence. Being able to deliver on demand anywhere, anytime with most any weapon.
View Quote

Yup, that's the ultimate goal of all physical training!  By any definition when you're able to perform at this level you're definitely, 'accomplished'.  (Might take some time and cost a few shekels to get there, though.)  
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup, that's the ultimate goal of all physical training!  By any definition when you're able to perform at this level you're definitely, 'accomplished'.  (Might take some time and cost a few shekels to get there, though.)  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got conscious competence down pretty well. It's just not "instinctual"-- "hardwired" ---yet.......I struggle the most with precision rifle, don't do it enough......
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If you ca kill a running deer while driving a truck down a dirt road at 40 mph at 200 meters with 2 shots your accomplished
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Good thread!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top