Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2015 7:29:29 PM EDT
I've been looking into the information available regarding combat marksmanship and specifically the lead required to hit a man on the run at various ranges with different iron sights/optic.  

I've been surprised at how little information there is available and where it is available, how erroneous it is.

As a logical place to start, I looked at the sight manufacturers and even their own guides are incorrect. For example, here is the information from Trijicon regarding lead required for a mover with a TA31F...

This graphic is misleading (pun intended) as it assumes the target is 'crabbing' sideways (still facing the firer) as it runs across the battlefield.... which I never saw once on Ops.  This seems to be a common mistake on all information I have read about shooting movers.  Everything I have seen depicts a front profile of an E-type (or NATO Fig. 11) target with an 18" width moving laterally with leads/hold over and not a side profile of a 9" torso moving forward..

I've put together some graphics I'm happy to share which I want to use to help demonstrate the required leads for movers and I'd love to get some constructive feedback.  

If you've got a story or experience of hitting a mover which you're willing to share to inform this discussion, please do so as your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Great info, thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It's actually very hard, is all I have noticed.
Even knowing where they will appear and disappear you land few shots indeed.

We did this on a range once, at 100 Metres.
A guy holds a figure 11 above the parapet of range and runs 20 metres flat out. (appearing from behind cover, and disappearing behind cover)
If I recall correctly, around 1 in 12 (or maybe 1 in 15 it was many years ago) rounds fired hit the target.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's actually very hard, is all I have noticed.

Even knowing where they will appear and disappear you land few shots indeed.

We did this on a range once, at 100 Metres.

A guy holds a figure 11 above the parapet of range and runs 20 metres flat out. (appearing from behind cover, and disappearing behind cover)

If I recall correctly, around 1 in 12 (or maybe 1 in 15 it was many years ago) rounds fired hit the target.
View Quote
Could you explain this in more detail, it sounds like someone is downrange running with something that other people are shooting at.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Could you explain this in more detail, it sounds like someone is downrange running with something that other people are shooting at.  
View Quote

That is exactly what is happening.
Put a Figure 11 on a long pole, hold it above you (above the parapet), and run from one side of the range to the other.
The people on the range then shoot at the figure 11. Simple.

I'll search for a photo of the range......
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quick Google search, and the only photo I can find is from 1959....

From the shooters perspective, at 1000 metres.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The best representation I have found so far is in FM2-33-9 Ch. 7 Advanced marksmanship....but still pretty limited...

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Cheers for this.  I've participated in this shoot dozens of time and the major deficiency is that the 'walker' strolls along at a glacial pace to make is easier for his mates to pass...knowing it'll be his turn next!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:19:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cheers for this.  I've participated in this shoot dozens of time and the major deficiency is that the 'walker' strolls along at a glacial pace to make is easier for his mates to pass...knowing it'll be his turn next!
View Quote

Interesting, we found the opposite, that this was an opportunity to mess with your mates as much as possible.

other detail, the stand and ambush (have the target walk through a wall of bullets) was in practical terms about as effective as leading and following the target
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top