Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 5:23:46 PM EDT
A guy I met at my local range mentioned this website, and I've been reading the topics for days.  I feel overwhelmed!

Where would a guy begin with training for home defense?  I'm in my 30's and have been shooting since my 20's, but pretty much limited to indoor ranges and paper targets?

Thank you

Jon
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I would start by finding a range that holds IDPA matches and either participate or observe.  From my experience the people involved with IDPA are first class people and very helpful.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would start by finding a range that holds IDPA matches and either participate or observe.  From my experience the people involved with IDPA are first class people and very helpful.
View Quote

I would agree with this but not just IDPA. Do all that you can. IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge/multigun etc.

The more exposure you get the better an idea you'll get about what it is "training" means to you.

ETA: find a reputable trainer in your area that does a "basic handgun" course.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Competition shooting makes for excellent practice, but I would definitely take at least a basic course first. Where in the country do you live?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I would start with a basic pistol class and then progress from there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm in eastern Utah, but I travel frequently throughout UT, ID and CO.

A friend of mine suggested IDPA, and it looks fun but intimidating how serious some seem to take it.

Jon
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm in eastern Utah, but I travel frequently throughout UT, ID and CO.

A friend of mine suggested IDPA, and it looks fun but intimidating how serious some seem to take it.

Jon
View Quote

It's only as serious as you want it to be. Their will always be people who are super serious and will do anything for the win. After some time under your belt, it might end up being you
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you concerned about defensive tactics or shooting skills?  The NRA Personal Protection classes will cover some basic tactical concerns as well as some more advanced shooting than is covered in the basic pistol class.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a big difference between practicing for a match and training to defend your life.  Competition definitely makes you faster and possibly more accurate but there is no substitute for taking a defensive pistol or two day carbine class for technique and mindset, in my opinion.  I recommend EAG for carbine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
As others stated, take a basic class 1st. As far as defense shooting. It is very different than target/bullseye shooting. I developed bad habits after spending hours on youtube, then the indoor range.
 After I took a actual defensive c  lass, shooting on the move, reloads and the like, totally diff.  I have never taken or gone to a IDPA shoot, from what I read, they do shoot/move drills so MAYBE
that will also be an option.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As others stated, take a basic class 1st. As far as defense shooting. It is very different than target/bullseye shooting. I developed bad habits after spending hours on youtube, then the indoor range.
 After I took a actual defensive c  lass, shooting on the move, reloads and the like, totally diff.  I have never taken or gone to a IDPA shoot, from what I read, they do shoot/move drills so MAYBE
View Quote

Multigun got me to, "unload and show clear"  out of habit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That brings up a good point. The right mindset can prevent bad habits like this from forming during competition shooting.

Once a course of fire is over, the time has stopped, and there is no reason to rush the unloading sequence. Personally, once I'm finished running a stage, I still follow through on the last target for a couple seconds then go ahead and scan the course for any unengaged targets before taking a deep breath and beginning the unloading sequence. No reason to race to get the gun unloaded.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you concerned about defensive tactics or shooting skills?  The NRA Personal Protection classes will cover some basic tactical concerns as well as some more advanced shooting than is covered in the basic pistol class.
View Quote

This is the right answer for his question. Take the NRA PPIH and PPOH classes. They teach you how to avoid every needing to use a firearm as well as what to do (and more importantly what NOT to do) after using it in self-defense. After that, take some of the defensive handgun courses.

Go to http://www.nrainstructors.org for the NRA PPIH and PPOH classes in your area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top