Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2015 10:42:39 AM EDT
Is it better to shoot once per week for 150 pistol rounds or to shoot 3 times per week at 50 rounds each time?

What would lead to better progress?  

I feel like when I've shot only 50 rounds once a week that I wasn't making progress very quickly. When I started shooting 100 rounds once per week I felt like I was making progress.  Now I'm wondering whether adding days, but limiting to 50 rounds per session would be useful?

What do you guys and gals think?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally speaking, improvement occurs when you are able to practice well. Practicing should not be easy (it may or may not be enjoyable) and it should cause you to eventually become fatigued (mentally or physically). You should think about the mechanicals of what you are doing, each time you do a repetition and evaluate your proficiency of execution and the results you achieve.

If you can stay mentally/physically sharp and focus on each shot for 150 rounds, I don't see any reason why you can't do 150 rounds in a practice session. I also don't think it matters if you split it into 3 sessions - unless you can't maintain focus for the full 150 rounds in which case you should split it into the shorter sessions. There's a difference between shooting for fun and practicing. There's nothing wrong with going to shoot just for enjoyment, however, just pulling the trigger for an hour isn't an hour of practice.

It's a lot like working on your golf game. You can go to the driving range and hit 200 balls a week, but if you don't think about what you're doing and you're just swinging away, you're not really practicing - you're just hitting golf balls. Practice should be difficult because the goal is to work on things you're not good at to improve them.

So I guess my answer to your question is - choose the practice regimen that fits you best. If you're able to bear down and focus for 150 shots in a session, great, do that - it will cost you less in range fees. If you're not able to maintain good focus for that length of time, split it up into smaller sessions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather pick never having salt or sugar again,
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
My first qualification run of the day is usually my best qualification.  If you've got 150 rounds per week, & 3 opportunities to shoot, by all means, space it out over 3 times.  Add a .22" LR in the mix for more training per session.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have held off purchasing anything .22LR related due to the scarcity of the ammunition, but now that it's returning to a state or normality I may need to revisit that decision to supplement my training without substantially increasing my ammunition budget. Especially in light of the .223/5.56 ammunition demand increasing lately. Right now I'm good to go on 9mm and .223, but God only knows how long the "panic" may continue.  Perhaps I should revisit my decision about whether or not to get into reloading as well? I have been avoiding reloading due to the up front costs and the added time involved. Plus, I haven't been convinced that when ammo is scarce that somehow components will not be as well.  All food for thought though.

Spring is 17 days away and the weather is improving, but more importantly we're starting to have sunset later in the day than we were before. My range is open from 5pm to 7pm on Wednesdays so long as there is daylight so I'd like to start to go just for pistol practice of about 50 rounds on Wednesdays once the sun starts setting at or after 7pm.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming you are dryfiring atleast three times a week then i would say shoot one long range session working on accuracy for the first 75 rounds and then speed for ghe last 75 rounds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top