Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2014 1:52:16 PM EDT
I've seen people advocate for both. Saying that using your thumb to release the bolt is "too fine a motor skill" while those who advocate for thumb release state that slapping the paddle is unnecessary movement. I've been practicing with both to see which was quicker. Based on what I've experienced I believe the thumb release is slightly faster than slapping the paddle. However the biggest thing I've discovered is I'm on target faster when thumbing vs slapping, likely due to less movement of the rifle when thumbing the release as opposed to slapping the side of my rifle.

This is a pretty small area of training but something I found interesting. Which technique do you use?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1CyRXyVc0Y[/youtube]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I always use thumb release.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Whenever someone starts saying that something is a 'fine motor skill' I tune them out.  Everything you do with your hands is, by definition, a fine motor skill.  Keeping your sights on target while manipulating the trigger is by far the most difficult motor skill involved in shooting.  If you can learn to do that, all the other manipulations are relatively easy.  If you can't, they're pointless.

I actually use the BAD lever thing on my ARs.  I thought it was stupid when it came out, but when I actually tried it, I found it be the fastest way to lock/release the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with you fully on the fine motor skill argument. I've heard of people who have had troubles when using the BAD lever, so I've stayed away but I might give it a shot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with you fully on the fine motor skill argument. I've heard of people who have had troubles when using the BAD lever, so I've stayed away but I might give it a shot.
View Quote

I've heard that on some guns it keeps the bolt from locking back on the last shot.  It happens to work on my current 3 ARs. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a non point, you know were the lever is and in a time of stress you will figure out a way to press it, your talking small fractions of a second between the 2. If you want to know, drills and repetition are the only way to answer this with different positions, movement, and equipment. After enough reload drills using both methods you will figure out what works for you. Remember smooth is fast!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Follow front of mag up with hand, use thumb. Always works, even in the dark. Whacking it with your palm is hit/miss, requires visual. But I guess it looks cool........
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I found the palm slap to be less reliable. I hit with the arch of my hand pretty often when I tried it and the paddle wouldn't release.

I use my thumb. Instructors nag but its what works for me. To me it isn't that fine of a motor skill really. That being said I've never done it on a two way range.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]

I love how some people will say pressing a bolt release with your thumb is a "fine motor skill" yet squeezing the trigger or depressing the mag release button is not...

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the CH to run the bolt.

Never fails.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Never fails.
View Quote

Now your spring has to overcome the charging handle friction, you can't begin to rotate your rifle back to your shoulder into a firing position, and you can induce a failure if you grasp the charging handle just a little too long after you release the BCG and cause it lose energy and not get into battery.

I've had a dirty rifle fail to go into battery by using the charging handle.  Clean probably won't be a problem, but its just one more thing your carrier has to drag with it.  And I've seen more than one person short stroke the handle doing it that way since most people hook the charging handle these days on the left side of the handle.

Yeah....it can fail....and there is no way you can do it nearly as fast.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Now your spring has to overcome the charging handle friction, you can't begin to rotate your rifle back to your shoulder into a firing position, and you can induce a failure if you grasp the charging handle just a little too long after you release the BCG and cause it lose energy and not get into battery.

I've had a dirty rifle fail to go into battery by using the charging handle.  Clean probably won't be a problem, but its just one more thing your carrier has to drag with it.  And I've seen more than one person short stroke the handle doing it that way since most people hook the charging handle these days on the left side of the handle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never fails.

I've seen the ping pong paddle fail too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anything on a rifle can fail.  That doesn't change the fact that the bolt release button is the fastest, most reliable way to send the bolt forward.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Anything on a rifle can fail.  That doesn't change the fact that the bolt release button is the fastest, most reliable way to send the bolt forward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a bolt catch.  Not a bolt release.  I always use the charging handle.  

Sorry, just like to keep people from changing words.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is a bolt catch.  Not a bolt release.  I always use the charging handle.  

Sorry, just like to keep people from changing words.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

It doesn't matter if you call it catch, release, or even ping pong paddle.  You push the bottom part to lock the bolt back and you push the top part to release it.  That's how the gun was designed.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It is a bolt catch.  Not a bolt release.
View Quote

Why do people keep saying these things about mechanisms specifically designed with contact surfaces, textures, and contours to be pressed by human digits?

With respect to the AR15, why else is there an additional contact surface on the opposite side of the pivot point of the "bolt catch" that has been extended and widened to the point of resembling a ping pong paddled and given a knurled gripping texture if not to be pushed?

Even the AR10 prototype had them:

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top