Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 1:22:37 AM EDT
My main question is what distance should I practice odd shooting positions like urban prone with an AR15? Next how far away should the target be if I want to shoot on the move and close in toward the target.

I was thinking the most is 150 yards for odd positions and 50 yards for shooting on the move?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Look up Roger Phillips on the internet, ask him about the moving stuff.  Fight Focused Concepts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't waste time with abnormal shooting positions.

Master the practical variations of standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone.

As far as shooting and moving, I'd practice dry firing and moving in all directions as much as possible before showing up to the range.

I'd start close 10-15 yards, and as you get better/more comfortable move back to 25, then 35, then 50, etc...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want some ideas on drills to run check out some of the Vtac drills.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at some of the 3-gun courses of fire, plenty of different shooting positions and varying distances.  Standing/Offhand, kneeling and prone are a great place to start and hone skills.  2-300 yards also good place to start once you have a zero.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I practice shooting on the move at home using a light switch for a target from various distances. I don't actually fire live ammo at it. FYI

At the range I start and stop at various ranges. Sometimes I walk from 50yds all the way to 3yds several times.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't waste time with abnormal shooting positions.

Master the practical variations of standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone.

As far as shooting and moving, I'd practice dry firing and moving in all directions as much as possible before showing up to the range.

I'd start close 10-15 yards, and as you get better/more comfortable move back to 25, then 35, then 50, etc...
View Quote

I think this is great advice, master the fundamentals first, then movement.  

Then I would add after getting the basics above down, practice positions using various cover/concealment items (log, barrels, building corner, etc) along with alternate shooting hands (right, left, right, left, etc).  I don't think these are abnormal positions and I don't think Mister_H thinks they are, so no disrespect to him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top