Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2014 5:32:43 AM EDT
Think I'm posting this in the right place lol.

Anyway my whole life I always had to shoot a rifle with my left hand do to being right handed but left eye dominant. Any advice on how to train my left eye to close and keep my right eye open?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. It's easier to teach your body to shoot lefthanded than it is to teach your right eye to take over.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
That whole left eye right domination thing is a myth. Train yourself to use your left eye...its akin to muscle memory. You're just used to using one eye over the other. The fact is, the way our bodies work, each eye feeds half its vision to the appropriate side of the brain. Our brain then puts it together.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Cant slightly to the left to line up the sights with your left eye.  It only takes about 5-10 degrees of cant.  

Alternatively, shoot left handed which is not hard to learn either.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#6]
eyepatch
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Think I'm posting this in the right place lol.

Anyway my whole life I always had to shoot a rifle with my left hand do to being right handed but left eye dominant. Any advice on how to train my left eye to close and keep my right eye open?
View Quote

This is one of the simplest things to overcome in pistol training...

Simply turn your chin slightly towards your right bicep to get your left eye behind your sights.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cant the pistol slightly to the left to line up the sights with your left eye.  It only takes about 5-10 degrees of cant.  

Alternatively, shoot left handed which is not hard to learn either.
View Quote

Don't do this.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep. It's easier to teach your body to shoot lefthanded than it is to teach your right eye to take over.
View Quote

True but it's not a problem to get your left eye behind your sights.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Friend of mine is the same way and shoots with his left hand.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hard to do, if at all possible,  in my experience.

My youngest son is right handed, left eye dominant and taught him to shoot left handed, as I do with most kids I teach in 4H.

View Quote

Try my method. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
You can black out/block the left lens of a pair of glasses, and practice that way for a while.  Once you're feeling more comfortable using your right eye, just smear some vaseline or such on the left lens to blur things.  

There is no guarantee you will have total success retraining to use your right eye/right hand.  My brothers and I are all cross dominant.  Dad took us out one day and handed us a rifle.  He cussed as each one of us wrapped around the rifle to get our left eye behind the sights.  My youngest brothers don't have to work too much anymore to shoot with the right eye.  I have to concentrate to do so.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#13]
My son and I are like you.  My wife and to girls are the opposite, left handed/right eye'd.  We've had lot's of experience in dealing with cross dominance issues.  Our best advise is to learn to live with what's hard wired in your brain.  We all shoot long guns on our dominate eye side and hand guns on our strong hand side.  Your hand gun stance will looks a little off to normal folks and you'll have to tilt you head a little, but you can learn to shoot very well.  It just drives shooting insturctors and normal folks a little crazy to watch you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#14]
It's no problem with a pistol.  Just move your head a bit and aim with your left eye.  This is how Larry Vickers shoots, witnessed it myself personally.  He recommends switching to becoming a left handed shooter for rifle shooting though.  I can't bring myself to it, so I squint the left eye.  Not much of a problem other than obviously limiting my situational awareness on that side.  I am extremely left eye dominant, my right eye pretty much only provides peripheral vision most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Simply turn your chin slightly towards your right bicep to get your left eye behind your sights.
View Quote

This will work fine for target shooting at the range.  It breaks down badly under stress.  Move your sights towards your eye, not the other way around.  I've seen many students who were trained this way completely lose their front sight under the stress of force on force trying to remember which way to turn their head.

The OPs situation is no different that when right eye, right handed shooters shoot left side barricade weak handed.  We do it all the time to minimize exposure to targets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I was right-handed, left-eyed.  I spent 20 years shooting with my right eye.  To my surprise, I then found that I had become right-eyed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
You can get off-set bases and set up your scope for left-eye dominant:

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This will work fine for target shooting at the range.  It breaks down badly under stress.  Move your sights towards your eye, not the other way around.  I've seen many students who were trained this way completely lose their front sight under the stress of force on force trying to remember which way to turn their head.

The OPs situation is no different that when right eye, right handed shooters shoot left side barricade weak handed.  We do it all the time to minimize exposure to targets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Force on force has a way of doing that... But that's what training is for. Besides, most FOF ranges require little more than point-shooting.

With a pistol it's the best option.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not clear on the question. If I understand the OP correctly, he is cross dominant, so he grew up shooting a rifle left handed to use his dominant eye. That is ideal for cross dominant shooters using a rifle. Is the OP asking about pistol shooting? I did not see anything referencing pistol shooting in the OP.

I'm a cross dominant shooter (right handed, left eye dominant), and I shoot long guns left handed and handguns right handed. Shooting handguns right handed using my left eye is not an issue. Simply shift the grip slightly until the sights line up with the left eye. No eye closing or head movement is necessary. Just a slight grip tweak that becomes natural with practice, and it does not degrade with the added stress of competition or FOF.

The grip adjustment does not seem to affect recoil management either. It actually allows a tad more of the support hand palm to get behind the gun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#20]
A friend of mine is that way, he learned to shoot left handed because of it. And since he's right handed, he can switch shoulders easily.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I am left eye dominate right handed, I shoot handguns very well but rifles not so much. I've practiced a lot and have seen major improvements, I think that is the best option.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hard to do, if at all possible,  in my experience.

My youngest son is right handed, left eye dominant and taught him to shoot left handed, as I do with most kids I teach in 4H.

View Quote

I did the same thing with my daughter.  She is definitely left eye dominate and mostly right handed, but almost ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the same affliction, and it's the same for rifles and pistols for me.  I shoot right handed.  

With pistols, i shoot both eyes open, and eye dominance doesn't matter there.  
With rifles with RDS, i shoot both eyes open, and eye dominance doesn't matter there either.  For longer shots with RDS, i'll close my left eye.  
Rifles with scopes and irons, i just close my left eye.  

I used to make a bigger deal than it really is...but it really doesn't matter at all.  If the sights are aligned on the target, it makes no difference which eye is dominant.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I have this same issue, although in my case I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I've found that what works best for me is to shoot my handguns with my dominant hand, and all my rifles/shotguns right handed, although I make a point to run at least one magazine through my firearms with my offhand whenever I'm at the range.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I just found out about this cross dominance issue... Right handed Left eye... Reason I found out is I always have an issue when putting an AR for example into my right shoulder... getting behind the rear sight to draw a straight sight line. As I was picking up my shotgun( Mossberg 500 cruiser) the salesman indicated that Im cross dominant and thats why I have the issue.

Reading online says switch hands, but I want to try to say right handed and maybe try this squint technique or both eyes open I've seen. I did like that option with the sight offset to  favor left eye dominance but that seems odd also at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Learn to shoot LH.  Thats what I did a long time ago.  Really glad I did as my accuracy was much improved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top