Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2014 8:05:09 PM EDT
Guys and Girls, I am trying to set up some kind of standard to shoot every two weeks and track my progress. I am looking at a mix of drills totaling 50 rounds. I am wanting to hit on as many skills as I can for those 50 rounds, and then I can use my other 50 to work on any weak spots (normally shoot 100 rounds).

I know a lot of guys are pimping 50 rounds drills and I did shamelessly steal some ideas from them . Also these drills will be shot at a indoor range so I can only shoot at 1 target.

All hits must be in A zone on IDPA target, any misses are a no go except on drill # 6 where C zone hits add 3 seconds to time. Drills are ran from the 10 yard line except for #6 which is 25 yards. Total rounds fired 50. Should be done atleast once per month.

Drill 1 : From Position 2 drive the pistol
out and take on shot. Goal is 1 second. (5 times)
<o:p></o:p>

Drill 2 : From the Draw take one shot. Goal
is 1.5 seconds (5 times)

Drill 3 : From the Draw, fire 5 shots. Goal is 3 seconds. (2 times)

Drill 4 : From Draw, fire 5 shots strong
hand. Goal is 7 seconds. (2 times)

Drill 5 : From Position 2, fire 5 shots
support hand Goal is 5 seconds. (2 times)

Drill 6 : From the Draw, fire 10 shots. Goal
is 10 seconds. (one time)

Trying for a good mix of speed vs Accuracy, and not really caring about reloads as I can do those dry, what do you guys think, what am I missing?

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I would work some tighter accuracy at 3 to 5 yards at 1" or 3/4" targets similar to what Travis Haley is doing with his drills lately. I think including that in there somewhere would really help you self-diagnosis any trigger pull or sight alignment issues you might be having. Food for thought anyways.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks well thought out and a good balance of speed and accuracy.

Since you're using an IDPA target, you can still work target transitions by using the A zone and head target areas. Maybe with a failure drill (2 body / 1 head) or Paul Howe's version (5 body / 1 head). Also maybe add a reload drill. 1-reload-1 would keep the round count low.

Although it looks like you may done this, check out the CSAT standards for some inspiration. Most of them require only one target. FWIW, Paul Howe has said that when he practices he starts out shooting all of the standards then whichever ones he fails are what he practices for the day.

Redback One standards also use a single IDPA target.

Most importantly, each drill you select must have a specific purpose that should cover each shooting fundamental or skill that you value when put together. Off the top of my head, here's how I would tweak your drills:

Drill 1 : From Position 2 drive the pistol out and take on shot. Goal is 1 second. (4 times)

Purpose : Quick sight acquisition, prepping the trigger to fire immediately at full extension since decision to fire has already been made.

Drill 2 : From the Draw take one shot. Goal is 1.5 seconds (5 times)

Purpose : Building efficient draw technique onto first drill.

Drill 3 : From the Draw, fire 2 shots to the body, fire 1 shot to the head. Goal is 2.5 seconds (2 times)

Purpose : Tracking front sight during recoil and target transitions.

Drill 4 : From the Draw, fire 5 shots to the body, fire 1 shot to the head. Goal is 3.5 seconds (2 times)

Purpose : Managing recoil (grip), tracking front sight, varying cadence for different target sizes.

Drill 5 : From the Draw, fire 1 shot, reload, fire 1 shot. Goal is 4.5 seconds (3 times)

Purpose : Efficient reload technique and grip/sight recovery.

Drill 6 : From Draw, fire 3 shots strong hand. Goal is 5 seconds. (2 times)

Purpose : Strong hand trigger control and recoil management.

Drill 7 : From Position 2, fire 3 shots support hand Goal is 3 seconds. (2 times)

Purpose : Support hand trigger control and recoil management.

Drill 8 : From the Draw, fire 5 shots. Goal is 6 seconds. (one time)

Purpose : Sight alignment/picture, trigger control, breathing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top