Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 7:20:28 PM EDT
Not some uber tactical instructor, but a basic introduction to pistol kind of instructor. I don't know how it is in other states, but in Wisconsin all one needs in order to be eligible to satisfy the training requirement for our CCW permit is an NRA certification in Basic Pistol Instructor.

I've always made it a point to introduce as many new shooters to the shooting sports as possible, and at 27 I have well over thirty personal alumni; many who have become quite the gun nuts themselves. I've always been told I was good at it and I personally enjoy bringing new people out as well, so needless to say I have lots and lots of experience doing so.

I really haven't thought about the meat and potatoes of actually turning it into a part time gig, maybe through word of mouth and by appointments only to start, but I was more interested to see if any of you have thought about it or have actually done it and turned it into a business. Even if there's no money to be made, I suppose being able to provide the training for family, friends and coworkers would make it worth it in it's own right.

Thoughts, opinions, things I haven't thought of yet?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The most difficult part about starting as a basic pistol instructor is finding a range that will let you use their facilities for classes.  The NRA basic pistol instructor course isn't difficult and will cover some of the necessary details such as how to price your classes, suitable training aids, insurance, etc.. I'd also talk with a local lawyer about whether you might want to incorporate to limit your personal liability, and what type of incorporation would be recommended.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I started a small business because, like you, I liked helping people and always got great feedback.  I see no problem with starting out small and working your way up.  I advertise on this site and a couple other local gun boards.  Repeat business is great and those returning clients bring new clients.  Word of mouth has been very helpful.  I have an advantage other do not... I own my own land and range.

While I'm not making a killing at it, that was never the intent... I have a great full time job, but I make enough to cover my travel expenses and make improvements to my classroom and range.  Other benefits include becoming a better instructor, meeting some great people/making new friends, and LEARNING something new with every class.

One of my clients takes care of my web site needs Signal-0

I say get started in the Basic NRA stuff and see where it gets you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it.It's a very rewarding experience.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The most difficult part about starting as a basic pistol instructor is finding a range that will let you use their facilities for classes.  The NRA basic pistol instructor course isn't difficult and will cover some of the necessary details such as how to price your classes, suitable training aids, insurance, etc.. I'd also talk with a local lawyer about whether you might want to incorporate to limit your personal liability, and what type of incorporation would be recommended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Insurance and liability is something I entirely overlooked, thanks for mentioning. Having access to a facility is something I've idled on however, and thankfully I've made enough friends in the firearm scene around here for it to not be a tremendous problem.

Quoted:
I started a small business because, like you, I liked helping people and always got great feedback.  I see no problem with starting out small and working your way up.  I advertise on this site and a couple other local gun boards.  Repeat business is great and those returning clients bring new clients.  Word of mouth has been very helpful.  I have an advantage other do not... I own my own land and range.

While I'm not making a killing at it, that was never the intent... I have a great full time job, but I make enough to cover my travel expenses and make improvements to my classroom and range.  Other benefits include becoming a better instructor, meeting some great people/making new friends, and LEARNING something new with every class.

One of my clients takes care of my web site needs Signal-0

I say get started in the Basic NRA stuff and see where it gets you.

Quoted:
Do it.It's a very rewarding experience.

Yup, that's the idea. Start slow and see what opportunities open up. If I can make a little money at it, great, but I really enjoy doing this anyway. I'd rather have the ability to train my friends then to send them to someone they may or may not be comfortable with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top