Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2014 1:00:42 PM EDT
I'm saving up for some extra ammo and the admission price for a local basic, entry-level carbine class, but I have no way to carry mags on my person. The whole "battle belt" concept seems appealing to me because it looks lighter, less bulky, and cheaper than using a plate carrier. I'm also not concerned with ballistic protection right now (well, I hope not ). Would a battle belt be a good entry-level way to hold ~4 AR mags and a small IFAK? If so, what would you recommend? Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Love battle belts. I can't think of anything better to hold my fanny pack while playing commando with 50year old fat dudes
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love battle belts. I can't think of anything better to hold my fanny pack while playing commando with 50year old fat dudes
View Quote

My new battle belt drink holder (for Diet Cokes of course) doesnt spill a drop when doing my tacticool jelly rolls.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, this one, if any, fits the ARFCOM tradition:  both.  Battle belt and plate carrier.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like them much. Plate carrier or
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
War belt and plate carrier, ftw. Gives you options. Wear both together or separately.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]

I have the Raven sub load modulaoder and have been quite pleased with it. Changing my set up to give me a few more options but that's just personal preference.

I had 2 double decker Taco's on the 5-finger. I am going to 1 double decker and the bleeder/blowout on the 5-finger and got a 2-finger with paddle attachment for the other double decker. I can have 1 rifle/pistol, 1 rifle/pistol and an ifak, or 2 rifle/pistol and an ifak all depending on what I need/want and it's a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I wore one for many years across several combat zones but, I am waiting for my Civilian one to be made and sent from US Grunt gear.....
Altough I dont plan to load it like I use to, I will come in handy for range days and the occasional shooting course.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have the Raven sub load modulaoder and have been quite pleased with it. Changing my set up to give me a few more options but that's just personal preference.

I had 2 double decker Taco's on the 5-finger. I am going to 1 double decker and the bleeder/blowout on the 5-finger and got a 2-finger with paddle attachment for the other double decker. I can have 1 rifle/pistol, 1 rifle/pistol and an ifak, or 2 rifle/pistol and an ifak all depending on what I need/want and it's a lot cheaper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FWIW, I have a HSGI Suregrip with a variety of TACO pouches and since I started using the Raven Moduloader I barely touch the battle belt anymore.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Tried them in the past, they ride funny and impede my movement especially during running. I prefer a plate carrier and a chest rig, the only thing I normally run on my hip is a handgun in a kydex holster.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I turned my belt into a true LBE setup designed for being on foot for long periods. Added some suspenders and I love it. It's truly a bat belt.

Minimal sustainment equipment; poncho with 550 cord, canteen and cup, water purification pills, compass, protractor for topo maps, several ways to make fire, small hi-vis panel, flashlight, and some other little morale items, IFAK, all of which are coupled with pointy-ended stuff like a pilot's survival knife, pistol, two rifle mags and two pistol mags.

I have a PC and chest rig that I carry 6-8 M4 mags and other things like field binos, more advanced first aid gear, and one day, a FLIR scout or some NODs.

I think it all depends on what you want to use your gear for.

I wouldn't use the above setup for driving around in a vehicle. The PC with mags and a lean belt with just a pistol and some pistol mags with everything loaded on your front makes more sense.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
They're handy for quick on and off and hold a lot of gear but they ride up and or push my pants down when bending over.  I also can't wear a regular belt under it as I like to wear it at waist level. I find myself dicking with it all the time to make it comfortable.

That being said I prefer a competition style inner and outer belt for comfort but those limit your choice of outerwear.

In cold weather I wear a battle belt over my jacket.  The rest of the year I use a DSG Arms inner and outer belt set up.

It's all a trade off but a battle belt is probably the way to go for you.

I'd run 2 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, a holster and dump pouch for a class and that's it.  Anything more is just added dead weight and you won't need it for a class.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I've found a battle belt is great for outdoors work.

Sometimes I may have waders on and sometimes even have my belt up under my armpits to keep my pistol out of the water, can't do that with a conventional belt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Belts are for holding my pants and small stuff.

Used a 'battle belt' at Front Sight for a 4 day practical rifle course and no regrets.

I would normally be in a PC, but I really wanted to just focus on what they were teaching.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Gotta love em, especially during the winter when you've got to wear a jacket.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer loading from my belt line vs from a plate carrier.
If you want to try out the battle belt look at these:http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/USMC-Padded-Sub-Belt-p/6034.htm

Smoking deal for the belt.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gotta love em, especially during the winter when you've got to wear a jacket.
View Quote

That's why I like them, works all year round up here. can adjust belt accordingly to fit over cold weather clothes.

I've been using them for years. if adjusted correctly, they work very well, and give you lots of options.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm saving up for some extra ammo and the admission price for a local basic, entry-level carbine class, but I have no way to carry mags on my person. The whole "battle belt" concept seems appealing to me because it looks lighter, less bulky, and cheaper than using a plate carrier. I'm also not concerned with ballistic protection right now (well, I hope not ). Would a battle belt be a good entry-level way to hold ~4 AR mags and a small IFAK? If so, what would you recommend? Thanks for the advice.
View Quote

Entry-level class?  With other entry level people?  I might be concerned with ballistic protection.  That said, I also think this comes down to another personal preference thing... which placement of mag pouches gives you easier access?  For me, personally, with all my experience being with old-school 782 gear (pistol belt, suspenders, and old, heavy, non-load bearing Kevlar flak jacket) the war belt option would fell more "natural."

What does the instructor recommend?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top