Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2014 4:43:41 AM EDT
Is it required that someone be a certified instructor to teach a class?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Most states require at least NRA Basic Firearms Certifications to train people for a living. If you are just instructing friends and family I don't think it would be a problem not being certified. However, there is liability whether you are certified or not. That's why insurance is another important factor.

If you want to start doing it on a regular basis I suggest becoming a Basic NRA Certified Instructor in whatever disciplines you want to teach.

One thing that most people don't know is that NRA Instructor Development Courses don't teach instructors how to shoot, they teach them how to teach.

It can be very rewarding to teach others, and having credentials just adds to your integrity as an instructor.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I see no NRA pistol instructor classes listed near me anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, I see no NRA pistol instructor classes listed near me anytime soon.
View Quote

YW.

Check on the NRA website for upcoming courses in your area. You can also check with your local gun shops to see if they have any Instructor Development Courses coming up.

Also, a lot of shops that do in house training either have, or know NRA Training Counselors in the area.

Most NRA Instructor Development Courses cover several disciplines in any given course... i.e. Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, and Personal Protection. Each discipline is a minimum of eight hours. So, if you wanted to cover three disciplines together it would be a total of 24 hours broken up into three eight hour days.

Keep your eyes open, it's definitely worth it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

While legal "requirement" may vary from state to state, people seeking training (should) want to know about your specific training, education, and experience... in other words, what makes you "qualified" to instruct?

Remember... "credentials" do not make an instructor good... being able to master the basics yourself AND being able to teach them in a variety of ways (adult learning theories) is what makes an instructor good.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

While legal "requirement" may vary from state to state, people seeking training (should) want to know about your specific training, education, and experience... in other words, what makes you "qualified" to instruct?

Remember... "credentials" do not make an instructor good... being able to master the basics yourself AND being able to teach them in a variety of ways (adult learning theories) is what makes an instructor good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

An NRA instructor certification in no way means that they are a competent instructor. Shooting experience and training from sources other then the NRA and experience as an instructor combined with aptitude is what you are looking for. The best way to vet a potential instructor is feedback from previous students who also have a broad base of other instructors they have taken classes with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top