Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2014 3:47:56 PM EDT
Hello all,  I've been shooting my new Ar lately and I had a guy tell me at the range that I'm doing it wrong and I'll never be accurate the way I'm doing it. I've been getting roughly 3 inch, 5 round groups at 50 yards standing up. So by my standards that's good for me. But the way I have my stock extended is what he said was the issue. I have it either fully extended of one notch from fully extended.

I've read that you should be able to shoot with the stock fully collapsed, but I can't do that comfortably. I am 6'7" with long arms so I just can't get my wrist to comfortably sit when I am fully collapsed.

So basically I just an curious as to whether there is truth behind his statement. Also we are talking about at the range only. If it was home defense I completely see why you would want it as short as possible. Thank you for any info.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello all,  I've been shooting my new Ar lately and I had a guy tell me at the range that I'm doing it wrong and I'll never be accurate the way I'm doing it. I've been getting roughly 3 inch, 5 round groups at 50 yards standing up. So by my standards that's good for me. But the way I have my stock extended is what he said was the issue. I have it either fully extended of one notch from fully extended.

I've read that you should be able to shoot with the stock fully collapsed, but I can't do that comfortably. I am 6'7" with long arms so I just can't get my wrist to comfortably sit when I am fully collapsed.

So basically I just an curious as to whether there is truth behind his statement. Also we are talking about at the range only. If it was home defense I completely see why you would want it as short as possible. Thank you for any info.
View Quote

BS meter should have been pegged with that right there.  Stock position has very little to do with accuracy.  Consistency and recoil management, yes; accuracy, no.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, that's what I figured. I haven't tried fast fire yet but I don't think I would have a problem controlling muzzle rise.  Thank you for the confirmation that he didn't know what he was saying.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BS meter should have been pegged with that right there.  Stock position has very little to do with accuracy.  Consistency and recoil management, yes; accuracy, no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Put it where its comfortable. Tall people need more extension.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Collapse the stock and hand it to him---"show me."

You are hitting fine at 50...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top