Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2011 11:43:22 AM EDT
What made that instructor so good? What did you like about their teaching style? What did they do that you liked? What did they do that you did not like?

I ask because I constantly try to improve my own skill set, but mostly I want to know what others look for in an instructor. Clearly, someone being unsafe or just plain stupid disqualifies someone. Lets be specific also.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Massad Ayoob.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
George Harris, former director Sig Sauer Academy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Henk Iverson

Real world experience.

Intensity.

However, I recently found out he took a new job and it is doubtful he will time to do anymore instruction.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What made that instructor so good? What did you like about their teaching style? What did they do that you liked? What did they do that you did not like?

I ask because I constantly try to improve my own skill set, but mostly I want to know what others look for in an instructor. Clearly, someone being unsafe or just plain stupid disqualifies someone. Lets be specific also.

I don't have one favorite, but I have a few, depending on the weapon.  While you'll never come out of a class with agreement on all the material, I have had the most takeaways with these instructors.  They're all professionals, run a safe range, exceptionally good at diagnostics, and enable learning through their own style.

Carbine - I like Jeff Gonzales, Yancey Harrington, Chris Costa, Jim Smith.  While all have very different approaches to training, what they have in common is incorporating stress and shooting to standards.

Shotgun - Louis Awerbuck.  Amazing ability to diagnose problems and impart knowledge.

Handgun - Jeff Gonzales for the above reasons.  Out of all the trainers, I would have to say that he focuses the most on the fighting mindset.

CQC - Craig Douglas.  If you haven't trained with him on extreme close quarters combat, you need to.  This is nothing short of fighting, but with FIST helmets, red knives, and simunitions.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
George Harris, former director Sig Sauer Academy.

+1 for George and for the rest of the "original" Sig Arms Academy staff (Bank Miller
Ben Kurata, Michael DeBethancourt).

Rance DeWare (2004-2009) was pretty good too.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Greg Hamilton
Tracy Roberts
Jeff Mau

All guys I look forward to spending time in class with.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Phil Singleton.  Former SAS and was involved in Operation Nimrod.  The class was sub-gun instructor and he taught me how to be a better instructor.  No bullshit kind of guy and the after class festivities were entertaining.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a tie or team whatever.

Ed Marsters retired Anchorage Police Officer, current APSC trainer

Jeff Hall retired Alaska State Trooper and commander of the DPS training academy, killed Michael Silka the POS that murdered Trooper Troy Duncan. Current APSC trainer.

Jeff and Ed are the epitome of warriors and they teach others what it takes to win a fight.

These two were my Instructor Trainers for Police Pistol, Patrol Rifle, and Shotgun Instructor.

operator....

ETA Ed Marsters is what I would call a firearms handling expert. watching him in a classroom or on the range his muzzle control is perfect never covering anything but a target about to be shot. Pure economy of motion. I watched this man like a hawk for 4 days without a single bobble as far as handling goes even with a red gun. before his pistol instructor class I always looked down on individuals that had a ND. I could NEVER have one because I would never allow myself to make that kind of mental error. After 4 days of watching Ed I knew I was of the exact same caliber as this man. On the 5th day at the lunch break we were sitting around the classroom and Ed relayed his story of his own personal ND in a classroom during the lunch break years earlier. WTF, not possible! him and I are above that kind of helmet fire. hearing him relay the incident scared the holy shit out of me because at that minute I became aware I also was capable of that type of tragedy. Probably the most profound learning event in my career and to this day I know if I let my guard down for a split second it could happen to me and that is NOT Acceptable! Thanks Ed for teaching me I'm not above making that kind of mental lapse.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
NAS Key West, (Flemming Key) guest instructors (on site for classes).

-No bullshit
-no superiority complex
-trigger control, and a hell of alot of dry training (balance case on the fore end and dryfire without it moving and many others).
-ramp up stress but otherwise relaxed training atmosphere off line
-hone basics
-emphasis off of equiptment and back where it belongs: on skill.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Insights Training is the shiznit.  Greg Hamilton is the best instructor I have had for any type of training or education.  He is an amazing shooter, but more importantly, he can produce dramatic improvements in his students.  For context, I have taken classes from four other nationally/internationally known instructors.  No one comes close.  

Quoted:
Greg Hamilton
Tracy Roberts
Jeff Mau

All guys I look forward to spending time in class with.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Costa
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Paul Howe is a very understated and low key instructor, able to give you the information and techniques needed to perform under time stress. Ken Hackathorn also has that low key approach. Rob Haught's shotgun course was great, and he is very good at transferring the skills he demonstrates with a pump shotgun. Say what you want about Larry Vickers, but he demonstrates a skill, then teaches the skill with humor and intent to see students perform. As caustic as his sense of humor can be, he is certainly no wilting violet when it's his turn to be the butt of the joke.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#14]
BTT for more input.

operator....
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Michael DeBethancourt.

Michael is my #1 choice for snub revolver training.

A little crazy, funny as all hell, and more knowledgeable than anyone I've ever spoken to about making a snub revolver go to work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]
L. Awerbuck.

super observant. even with multiple students on the line he catches every mistake or training scar to give each individual tips for improvement. He's funny, approachable, not at all full of himself and receptive to student feedback.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Clint Smith
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 1:59:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Richard Mason.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]
LAV - Hands down

Just took his 3 day Mil/LE CQB at Moyock. OUTSTANDING!!!!

PS

Haters are going to hate even more now....

VICKERS LOST 60 POUNDS!!! I actually did not recognize him!
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Nick Collins, Mike Shertz, and John Fogh.   All from Insights in Seattle.  Straight talkers, very humble and GREAT teachers. I've been  a teacher for 18 years now and am picky about how any subject is taught. Theses guys are top notch.

ERic
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Dan Cusiter when he was at HK ITD. Marine Corps vet from Vietnam. Spent most of his career with the LA County Sheriff's in SEB. Guy brought a ton of experience.
  LAV diagnosed a problem I was having in about 30 seconds of watching me shoot. Like him or hate him, he knows what he's talking about. Plus he's a funny guy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Ken Hackathorn.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Pat McNamara.
Intense teaching style and a sense of humor like no other.
More experience than you can imagine.  I will train with him again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Richard Mason.

I want more than anything to take the pistol course after going through his carbine.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Rich Mason.
Some really good training, from a place that most probably never heard of(except from the few AAR's here)........
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I"ve trained with many that I consider great, but here are two standouts.

Paul Howe - understated and business like.  Has a natural ability to break down complex concepts into easy to digest actions.  Treats EVERYONE with dignity and respect from the least knowledgeable to most experienced.  Clearly understands what it is all about, but doesn't come off with superior attitude.  His class design also puts him at the top of the stack.  In his instructor courses, they all end with actually teaching a course in a live classroom and range under his direction.  Most do not offer the same knowledge, skill, and experience combination.

Jerry Miculek - another consummate gentleman and firearms scholar.  Has forgotten more about small arms deployment than most will know and still maintains a sense of humility that helps him connect with his students.  I learned more in a few days from Jerry in a revolver class than in the previous 20 years.  When running guns himself, he demonstrates that he is NOT human.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Richard Mason.

+1 but have to add that he is the only one I have worked with so far. Looking forward to changing that soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Massad Ayoob.

+100

AND ... a former co-worker. (thank you "Mr. W")  

The trait they both have in common is a certain "flexibility",  for want of a better term.
Mas is a zen master at finding the portions that work of any technique and adapting and teaching them...
No matter what the class' student makeup was.
W would do the same and ... spur of the moment ... throw a practical exercise out there for students to chew on.
I never saw either one waste a moment of time or "abuse" anyone in a class either.
I would be honored to train with or teach with either again.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#32]
A classmate's Dad came in to give a brief seminar about job interviews.  He started where I was at that point in the class, and made it into through his career into a HR position.  Every word he said was real and down to earth.  I don't have any doubt it helped me get every job I have had.  I know it has helped me with the countless interviews I have done for new employees.  

Other than that, my pre-calculus teacher had some firm tits and an ass that was incredible.  I don't even know if she was a good teacher.  I got the homework assignments from my sister who had the class earlier in the day, did the problems at lunch, and then stared at the teacher's ass all day.  I guess she had a great impact on me becoming the pervert that I am today.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Chuck taylor and Marty Hayes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Massad Ayoob.

+100

AND ... a former co-worker. (thank you "Mr. W")  

The trait they both have in common is a certain "flexibility",  for want of a better term.
Mas is a zen master at finding the portions that work of any technique and adapting and teaching them...
No matter what the class' student makeup was.
W would do the same and ... spur of the moment ... throw a practical exercise out there for students to chew on.
I never saw either one waste a moment of time or "abuse" anyone in a class either.
I would be honored to train with or teach with either again.

Stay safe

+1
I trained in quite a few classes with Mas and always came out a better strategist and tactician.  Many of the techniques I teach today have roots in Mas' theories.  As I reflect back now,having now studied with many other folks, it always strikes me how close to right Mas was before the background was even out there.

Respect.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#35]
John Farnam

Old school, no BS, not politically correct, all training based on years of practical experience (military and law enforecement), non-forgiving in training, makes you get it right and understand why it's important.  John, like Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith and others of that era are a golden resource that should listened to and honored for sharing their wisdom with the next generation of trainers and gun fighters.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Depends on the platform but two of my favorites are

Randy Cain

Kyle Lamb
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Depends on the platform but two of my favorites are

Randy Cain

Kyle Lamb

Can't believe Clint Smith doesn't get a nod for his ability to communicate ideas to entry level shooters.

+1 on Gonzales and Tricon...

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Richard Mason.

Yep. I just spent 3 days with him.

Blew. My. Mind.

Add Tom Givens and SouthNarc to my list.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I want to train with Larry Mudgett again. Best diagnostician I've seen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top