7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Backblast area clear, Gun Up!
InstructorMilitary
Posted: 10/11/2011 3:43:22 PM
[Last Edit: 10/11/2011 3:44:14 PM by DB0351]
What made that instructor so good? What did you like about their teaching style? What did they do that you liked? What did they do that you did not like?

I ask because I constantly try to improve my own skill set, but mostly I want to know what others look for in an instructor. Clearly, someone being unsafe or just plain stupid disqualifies someone. Lets be specific also.
West Michigan Firearms Training
www.wmiccw.com
USMC & NRA Certified Instructor
Him
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/11/2011 6:42:53 PM
Massad Ayoob.
Double-E
Romans 3:23
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/11/2011 9:30:44 PM
George Harris, former director Sig Sauer Academy.
Just noticed the upgrade, thank you to the anonymous donor.
bigcraig
Member of few words.
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/12/2011 4:21:47 PM
Henk Iverson

Real world experience.

Intensity.

However, I recently found out he took a new job and it is doubtful he will time to do anymore instruction.

Originally Posted By swingset:

Just head on down to your local "Shit Normal People Shouldn't Fuck Around With Supermart". Isle 3, next to the menstruating porcupine.
FNC80
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/12/2011 6:07:46 PM

Originally Posted By DB0351:
What made that instructor so good? What did you like about their teaching style? What did they do that you liked? What did they do that you did not like?

I ask because I constantly try to improve my own skill set, but mostly I want to know what others look for in an instructor. Clearly, someone being unsafe or just plain stupid disqualifies someone. Lets be specific also.

I don't have one favorite, but I have a few, depending on the weapon. While you'll never come out of a class with agreement on all the material, I have had the most takeaways with these instructors. They're all professionals, run a safe range, exceptionally good at diagnostics, and enable learning through their own style.

Carbine - I like Jeff Gonzales, Yancey Harrington, Chris Costa, Jim Smith. While all have very different approaches to training, what they have in common is incorporating stress and shooting to standards.

Shotgun - Louis Awerbuck. Amazing ability to diagnose problems and impart knowledge.

Handgun - Jeff Gonzales for the above reasons. Out of all the trainers, I would have to say that he focuses the most on the fighting mindset.

CQC - Craig Douglas. If you haven't trained with him on extreme close quarters combat, you need to. This is nothing short of fighting, but with FIST helmets, red knives, and simunitions.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca
mo4040
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 3:49:52 AM
Originally Posted By Double-E:
George Harris, former director Sig Sauer Academy.

+1 for George and for the rest of the "original" Sig Arms Academy staff (Bank Miller
Ben Kurata, Michael DeBethancourt).

Rance DeWare (2004-2009) was pretty good too.

JoshAR
M.O.S #333
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 4:58:11 PM
Greg Hamilton
Tracy Roberts
Jeff Mau

All guys I look forward to spending time in class with.
Josh

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
mcnizzle
PFL
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/15/2011 11:42:53 AM
Phil Singleton. Former SAS and was involved in Operation Nimrod. The class was sub-gun instructor and he taught me how to be a better instructor. No bullshit kind of guy and the after class festivities were entertaining.
Every man dies, but not every man lives
ar15operator
Firearms Instructor
NRAInstructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2011 5:13:42 PM
[Last Edit: 10/22/2011 6:08:46 PM by ar15operator]
It's a tie or team whatever.

Ed Marsters retired Anchorage Police Officer, current APSC trainer

Jeff Hall retired Alaska State Trooper and commander of the DPS training academy, killed Michael Silka the POS that murdered Trooper Troy Duncan. Current APSC trainer.

Jeff and Ed are the epitome of warriors and they teach others what it takes to win a fight.

These two were my Instructor Trainers for Police Pistol, Patrol Rifle, and Shotgun Instructor.

operator....

ETA Ed Marsters is what I would call a firearms handling expert. watching him in a classroom or on the range his muzzle control is perfect never covering anything but a target about to be shot. Pure economy of motion. I watched this man like a hawk for 4 days without a single bobble as far as handling goes even with a red gun. before his pistol instructor class I always looked down on individuals that had a ND. I could NEVER have one because I would never allow myself to make that kind of mental error. After 4 days of watching Ed I knew I was of the exact same caliber as this man. On the 5th day at the lunch break we were sitting around the classroom and Ed relayed his story of his own personal ND in a classroom during the lunch break years earlier. WTF, not possible! him and I are above that kind of helmet fire. hearing him relay the incident scared the holy shit out of me because at that minute I became aware I also was capable of that type of tragedy. Probably the most profound learning event in my career and to this day I know if I let my guard down for a split second it could happen to me and that is NOT Acceptable! Thanks Ed for teaching me I'm not above making that kind of mental lapse.
“They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8

كافر NRA Life member. MOLON LABE!

PHOC6
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2011 12:28:46 AM
NAS Key West, (Flemming Key) guest instructors (on site for classes).

-No bullshit
-no superiority complex
-trigger control, and a hell of alot of dry training (balance case on the fore end and dryfire without it moving and many others).
-ramp up stress but otherwise relaxed training atmosphere off line
-hone basics
-emphasis off of equiptment and back where it belongs: on skill.
Overtorque
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2011 10:57:06 AM
Insights Training is the shiznit. Greg Hamilton is the best instructor I have had for any type of training or education. He is an amazing shooter, but more importantly, he can produce dramatic improvements in his students. For context, I have taken classes from four other nationally/internationally known instructors. No one comes close.

Originally Posted By JoshAR:
Greg Hamilton
Tracy Roberts
Jeff Mau

All guys I look forward to spending time in class with.

bigbore
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/18/2011 11:12:26 AM
Hackathorn and Harrington.
I'm no good at telling people what they want to hear when I dont believe it myself :)
Marksman14
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/21/2011 8:12:30 PM
Costa
Jarhead_22
Business Agent, Guild of Mute Assassins Local 17
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 2:11:57 PM
Paul Howe is a very understated and low key instructor, able to give you the information and techniques needed to perform under time stress. Ken Hackathorn also has that low key approach. Rob Haught's shotgun course was great, and he is very good at transferring the skills he demonstrates with a pump shotgun. Say what you want about Larry Vickers, but he demonstrates a skill, then teaches the skill with humor and intent to see students perform. As caustic as his sense of humor can be, he is certainly no wilting violet when it's his turn to be the butt of the joke.
...screaming the lyrics from "Wheel in the Sky" by Journey!
ar15operator
Firearms Instructor
NRAInstructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2011 6:09:33 PM
BTT for more input.

operator....
“They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8

كافر NRA Life member. MOLON LABE!

John_Wayne777
DAVID HASSLEHOFF WOULD NOT BE SEEN WITH GUMBY!!!
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2011 12:01:26 AM
[Last Edit: 10/23/2011 12:05:39 AM by John_Wayne777]
Originally Posted By DB0351:
What made that instructor so good?

I've trained with lots of folks in the industry. Picking a "favorite" would be politically incorrect...but the guys I recommend most highly tend to have a lot of the same traits.

What makes them good? Their ability to bring about improved performance from students. Whether it's changing mindset or making for improved manipulations or improvements in speed/accuracy...the guys I rank highly have demonstrated the ability to produce lasting results for me and for others I've watched under their instruction. Moreso than anything else, that is the hallmark of a good instructor.

What did you like about their teaching style?

Each I've trained with is different with different stand-out features. Ken Hackathorn, for example, stands out for his ability to sum up just about everything you would ever need to know about using a handgun for serious social purposes in a fairly simple, easy to remember lecture lasting about 30 minutes. SouthNarc stands out for his deep understanding of criminal behavior and his mastery in the ECQC realm. Vickers stands out because of his ability to impart a bulletproof understanding of fundamentals and a good understanding of how the dynamics of shooting change on a 2 way range...as well as a demonstrated ability to prepare people for being on the 2 way range. Tom Givens stands out because of a remarkable track record of preparing ordinary people to prevail in armed encounters with criminals. Todd Green stands out in his ability to make a shooter at practically any level into one that can hold his own even among the top 1% of people using handguns. Etc.

The best advice I can give you is to pursue excellence yourself. Doing so helps you figure out things that will be of great value to your students. None of the guys I mentioned above got to where they are by accident. They made a lifestyle of learning and development, and it pays off in their ability to teach students. If you keep an open mind and never stop evolving, you're likely to bring incredible value to your students.

If you combine that sort of mindset and commitment to challenging yourself and developing with a generally personable demeanor and avoid taking yourself too seriously...well...it's a good recipe for being a good instructor.

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
Paul Howe is a very understated and low key instructor, able to give you the information and techniques needed to perform under time stress. Ken Hackathorn also has that low key approach. Rob Haught's shotgun course was great, and he is very good at transferring the skills he demonstrates with a pump shotgun. Say what you want about Larry Vickers, but he demonstrates a skill, then teaches the skill with humor and intent to see students perform. As caustic as his sense of humor can be, he is certainly no wilting violet when it's his turn to be the butt of the joke.

All those names would appear on my list of stand-out instructors also. Ask people who have done a lot of training who they rank highly and some of those names end up near the top of the list consistently. That's a clue.
It is substantially true that virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government. - George Washington

If you don't put down that gun and you blink, you will die in total darkness. - Jelly Bryce
GlockSergeant
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/25/2011 2:53:24 PM
Originally Posted By mo4040:
Michael DeBethancourt.

Michael is my #1 choice for snub revolver training.

A little crazy, funny as all hell, and more knowledgeable than anyone I've ever spoken to about making a snub revolver go to work.
StevenH
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2011 11:01:40 PM
L. Awerbuck.

super observant. even with multiple students on the line he catches every mistake or training scar to give each individual tips for improvement. He's funny, approachable, not at all full of himself and receptive to student feedback.
zengunfighter
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2011 1:08:33 PM
Clint Smith
Plissken
I am become Death, so that Life may become of you
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2011 5:59:58 AM
Richard Mason.
You are the Resistance.

With a small, dedicated group, there is nothing that cannot be accomplished.
DBLTAPP
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 8:44:15 PM
LAV - Hands down

Just took his 3 day Mil/LE CQB at Moyock. OUTSTANDING!!!!

PS

Haters are going to hate even more now....

VICKERS LOST 60 POUNDS!!! I actually did not recognize him!
It's all fun and games.... till someone says it's fun and games.
John_Wayne777
DAVID HASSLEHOFF WOULD NOT BE SEEN WITH GUMBY!!!
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:23:18 PM
The guy made SF...and then made Delta. And then while in Delta he made it to become the head training guy.

It ain't like he was lacking in the ability to achieve a goal.
It is substantially true that virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government. - George Washington

If you don't put down that gun and you blink, you will die in total darkness. - Jelly Bryce
deadbolt308
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/9/2012 9:39:55 PM
[Last Edit: 1/9/2012 9:44:53 PM by deadbolt308]
Nick Collins, Mike Shertz, and John Fogh. All from Insights in Seattle. Straight talkers, very humble and GREAT teachers. I've been a teacher for 18 years now and am picky about how any subject is taught. Theses guys are top notch.

ERic
I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than 100 shitheads.
Col. Charlie Beckwith
3seven4
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/9/2012 9:51:17 PM
Dan Cusiter when he was at HK ITD. Marine Corps vet from Vietnam. Spent most of his career with the LA County Sheriff's in SEB. Guy brought a ton of experience.
LAV diagnosed a problem I was having in about 30 seconds of watching me shoot. Like him or hate him, he knows what he's talking about. Plus he's a funny guy.
SlowshooterJay
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2012 12:58:21 PM
Ken Hackathorn.
PATRIOT-IA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2012 8:48:55 PM
Pat McNamara.
Intense teaching style and a sense of humor like no other.
More experience than you can imagine. I will train with him again.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2