Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2011 1:25:21 PM EDT
Anyone use Safety chamber flags for you AR15?

I just bought a pack of chamber flags, for an upcoming match, they are the ones with the long tube that goes into the bore.
Has anyone had any issues with it melting in a hot rifle? Maybe the chamber flag that goes into the magwell is the better choice?
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
A chamber flag in the magwell does not indicate a safe chamber.

Never had a problem.  I've used them in my old stainless NM A4 in rapid fire matches.   They didn't melt, but it was not summer either.

If you are really concerned, get some silicon tubing and cut it to fit over the "rod" part of the flag.  That won't melt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I put one in on the rack at the range or when I step away from the bench.
Hasn't melted yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
use mine in rapid fire matches as well...no problem so far
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
There's one range around here that requires them. Never had a problem with them melting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
You woulld have to full auto fire to melt those.  I think there silly myself when a range safety officer should be walking the line and visually checking for an open bolt.  But they wont let me compete without one so I comply.  Chris
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#8]
They are generally required at matches and ranges.  I've used one for several years in ARs and bolt gun.

I think they're Nylon and heat resistant.  Mine has never gotten soft or melted and it's been in some pretty hot chambers over the years.

I think they're GTG for heat.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I would imagine that the manufacturers were aware the the flags would be in a hot chamber and would use heat-resistant materials accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have to use them at my local matches. After pretty rapid fire of my 11.5" and 14.5"(if it makes a difference) I've had no issues with melting. We have to insert them immediately after completing the stage and clearing our weapons, so they're sure touching some hot steel!
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Never had any issues with mine at all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely good to have them around. For other rifles without a bolt hold-open, like the AK, such a flag is the only way to know at a glance that it's in a safe condition. Yes, a flag in the mag well does not indicate a safe chamber, but as long as the rod the flag is attached to is in the barrel it does so indicate. Just in case anyone was confused by the attempt at humor that seemed to say the safety flags don't prove anything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Best use ever, keeping some numbnuts RSO volunteer from dicking with your firearm.  I have had more than one pick up one of my open and locked weapons and then let it drop back onto the table.  Its a single layer of carpet on the concrete table , (if there is any padding at all) and that just irks the shit our of me.  Yeah, its only and inch or two, or maybe the muzzle never leaves the table, (nice on the barrel ya know, as he tips the weapon up to check the chamber) and then it gets dropped as he hurries to the next table.  I wanna kill the bastard.  Sometimes the fucker will do it just because he has never seen a gun like that before and just wants to pick it up (My Coltguard AR-15 being a prime example) and then gets a reminder to move along from the range master and drops it.  Yeah, I use chamber flags.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#14]
at the start of every season I buy a 1000 foot spool of weed-trimmer nylon string.   Bright orange and sticks out from both ends.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the quick reference factor of using flags. I haven't ever put on in a hot rifle. Looks like it's pretty safe. Easy to see them when a rifle is in a rack or going on/off the range. Our local gun shop used to use them but now they use zip strips in yellow. Not sure why they changed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top