Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Semper fucking Fi Marine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

I simply don't understand why the military doesn't contract with those that know what they are doing to train military trainers to be able to facilitate excellent training on these subjects.

It's getting better. I had some outstanding carbine course type training while on active duty in 2005. But my platoon sergeant had just come from SOTG and we were a PSD platoon.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
This guy rocks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCIF] [#9]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for posting that!

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quite a sobering story! Thanks for posting it JW. And God bless that Marine. This will weigh heavily on my mind during my next trip to the range, and will spur me to get better training...
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I think his eval was pretty correct and that training would have made a large difference.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Old_Painless] [#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Great story
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Good Post.  Very Sobering
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeffers_mz] [#20]
No operator here, but I have additional corroboration to add.

At an EAG Tactical class this spring, 3 Infantrymen on tour in Afghanistan somehow got 7 days leave in the US. They spent one of those days driving to this class, one day driving back to whereever they came from, and three days in the class. They had to purchase thier own ammunition for the class. The class fees were paid by them, not by DoD.

Their comments were eye-opening. They immediately recognized the advantage of all they were taught in this class, noted that basic training and Army drills did not begin to address these issues, and left class knowing that what they had learned there, above and beyond anything they had been exposed to thru military training, had made a huge difference to their ability to survive a firefight, back in Afgganistan, where they were supposed to return a few days later.

Every component error discussed by the OP was also addressed in the class, and every conclusion drawn by the OP is identical with the class  instructor's conclusions, as taught during the class. Just reading the original post had me hearing Pat Rogers, standing behind me while I was firing on the 7 yard line, chewing great holes in my ass for fucking up, the exact same way the OP concludes he fucked up.

If soldiers on a 7 day pass out of a hot warzone can spend their own time, money, and ammunition on a training class, and leave knowing they not only got their money back out in benefit, but also thinks they now stands much better odds of surviving, even winning a firefight, that is expert opinion enough for me.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Great story, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#23]
TAG.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#24]
great post/read.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By S-1:
BTW... Why the fuck does the USMC still teach to blade towards a target?

It's tough to square up given the length of pull on an M16A4 stock.  That stock (and A2 sights) were foisted on the Marine Corps by the Rifle Team, according to Pat Rogers (and others.)  These same folks have a huge impact on marksmanship training.  Unfortunately, there is more to gunfighting than just marksmanship.  Mindset and manipulation count, too.  It's also tough, without training and a great deal of practice, to use an ACO/RCO in close.

Originally Posted By jeffers_mz:
At an EAG Tactical class this spring, 3 Infantrymen on tour in Afghanistan somehow got 7 days leave in the US. They spent one of those days driving to this class, one day driving back to whereever they came from, and three days in the class. They had to purchase thier own ammunition for the class. The class fees were paid by them, not by DoD.

Their comments were eye-opening. They immediately recognized the advantage of all they were taught in this class, noted that basic training and Army drills did not begin to address these issues, and left class knowing that what they had learned there, above and beyond anything they had been exposed to thru military training, had made a huge difference to their ability to survive a firefight, back in Afgganistan, where they were supposed to return a few days later.

Every component error discussed by the OP was also addressed in the class, and every conclusion drawn by the OP is identical with the class  instructor's conclusions, as taught during the class. Just reading the original post had me hearing Pat Rogers, standing behind me while I was firing on the 7 yard line, chewing great holes in my ass for fucking up, the exact same way the OP concludes he fucked up.

If soldiers on a 7 day pass out of a hot warzone can spend their own time, money, and ammunition on a training class, and leave knowing they not only got their money back out in benefit, but also thinks they now stands much better odds of surviving, even winning a firefight, that is expert opinion enough for me.

I had the same thoughts as those high-lighted in blue.  And they were from my first EAG class back in June of 2003, several months after Paul G. had been wounded.  The TTPs existed then and were being used in part of the Marine Corps, e.g. First Force Reconnaissance Co. and S.O.T.G.  They were not at that time, however, making their way to the Lance Coolie 0311 who wins the wars.

Those soldiers must have thought paying Pat for training is much better than paying a life insurance company.

They are probably right.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By nick89302:
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
I've thought long and hard about reproducing that post here, but I think it's too valuable a lesson learned at too high a price not to.

Thanks for doing so.  There is a course coming up near me that I've wanted to take, but I wasn't really sure if I could afford it.  After reading that, my only thought was, "How can I afford not to?"

I went to sign up online just now, but can't.  I'll have to call tomorrow.

I'm trying to think what I can sell, and whether I'm more likely to need this or tires with tread on them
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Outstanding read. A true warrior. I printed it and am going to give it to all the E6s in my unit and all the firearms intructors at work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#29]
JW:  That piece was worth a million bucks right there.

John
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Wow. I guess some of us just assume certain things are taught in military.

Just what I was thinking.  Not teaching reloads?!?  To a Marine infantryman?!? Damn.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Excellent read, and very inspirational. Thank you for the post.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag.

Great read, thank you for posting. And many thanks to this Marine for passing along the hard lessons he learned.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#34]

This proves you can take the Marine out of the fight.

But you can not take the fight out of the Marine.

Awesome read.  Hoo-Rah!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RePp:
thanks for the post that guy is a complete badass. Awesome to see him doing classes and costa helping him. thanks again

I saw this on another forum. I argee, what Chris is doing is something special that is great to see.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#37]
tag

TXL
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:38:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeffers_mz] [#38]
Originally Posted By Submariner:
Originally Posted By S-1:
BTW... Why the fuck does the USMC still teach to blade towards a target?

It's tough to square up given the length of pull on an M16A4 stock.  That stock (and A2 sights) were foisted on the Marine Corps by the Rifle Team, according to Pat Rogers (and others.)  These same folks have a huge impact on marksmanship training.  Unfortunately, there is more to gunfighting than just marksmanship.  Mindset and manipulation count, too.  It's also tough, without training and a great deal of practice, to use an ACO/RCO in close.

I had the same thoughts as those high-lighted in blue.  And they were from my first EAG class back in June of 2003, several months after Paul G. had been wounded.  The TTPs existed then and were being used in part of the Marine Corps, e.g. First Force Reconnaissance Co. and S.O.T.G.  They were not at that time, however, making their way to the Lance Coolie 0311 who wins the wars.

Those soldiers must have thought paying Pat for training is much better than paying a life insurance company.

They are probably right.

Then you can probably hear Pat grinding his teeth, just like I can, because neither you, me, the OP, nor anyone else in this thread has yet mentioned one of the first rules this guy broke....no tac reload after the mag dump into the first bad guy.

Sorry, Pat, but a new drill is henceforth SOP on range trips, I'll call them "sevens and twos". Seven rounds center mass, tac reload to mag #2, move to "new contact", then either two COM and no tac reload, or two COM + one to the brainpan, no tac reload, repeat till both mags empty out, just to put me in the habit of freshening up after serious expenditures, and keep me away from tac reloads after only firing a few.

Improvements welcome.

Edit...on second thought, that's going to be ammo intensive, improvement is possible. One mag marked with duct tape, one without. Two rounds COM, tac reload,then  two COM and no reload, keeps me thinking about the situation and whether it is time for a reload after each instance of fire, runs thru more mag changes per round expended, and put ammo to better use  too.

Additional improvements still welcome.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I've never tagged before, but I think this is worth it for reading later.

Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:48:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Templar223] [#42]
No operator here, but I have additional corroboration to add.

Their comments were eye-opening. They immediately recognized the advantage of all they were taught in this class, noted that basic training and Army drills did not begin to address these issues, and left class knowing that what they had learned there, above and beyond anything they had been exposed to thru military training, had made a huge difference to their ability to survive a firefight, back in Afghanistan, where they were supposed to return a few days later.

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

As Aimless mentioned, it's not at all uncommon to see .mil guys show up in a class and be absolutely flabbergasted that they hadn't heard anything presented before. I've seen even SF/SOF guys show up and say "Dude...why aren't we training this way?"

While I don't think I heard those exact words from those guys (wasn't it four Jeff, not three?) at the EAG class this spring, I heard similar words as Jeff did.  

Then you can probably hear Pat grinding his teeth, just like I can, because neither you, me, the OP, nor anyone else in this thread has yet mentioned one of the first rules this guy broke....no tac reload after the mag dump into the first bad guy.

Sorry, Pat, but a new drill is henceforth SOP on range trips, I'll call them "sevens and twos". Seven rounds center mass, tac reload to mag #2, move to "new contact", then either two COM and no tac reload, or two COM + one to the brainpan, no tac reload, repeat till both mags empty out, just to put me in the habit of freshening up after serious expenditures, and keep me away from tac reloads after only firing a few.

Improvements welcome.

Edit...on second thought, that's going to be ammo intensive, improvement is possible. One mag marked with duct tape, one without. Two rounds COM, tac reload,then  two COM and no reload, keeps me thinking about the situation and whether it is time for a reload after each instance of fire, runs thru more mag changes per round expended, and put ammo to better use  too.

Additional improvements still welcome.

Amen to that...  or you could just load a random number in your mags as we did in part of our rifle class that our group taught this fall.  "Surprise" empties come more often when you've only got 4-7 rounds randomly loaded for additional reloading manipulations, transitions and it reinforced the importance of tac reloads because we all know it sucks to run dry half-way through a course of fire.  In a real gunfight it can be your life!

John
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Was talking to a buddy today about this topic and he asked a pretty good question...."If not classes, is there maybe a book to read in order to share some basic techniques/learn from to active duty personal who are not in special units etc?"

My reaction was to suggest Magpuls DVD's.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#44]
+1 to the Marine who wrote this.  Both for his sacrifice, service, and sharing his lessons.  God Bless.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#46]
This guy doesnt need to be posting on the internet. He needs to be speaking on hour1, day1 of BRM. This might save lives.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump to keep out of archive for a while.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Templar223:
Bump to keep out of archive for a while.

I agree. Having BTDT with a BG in my house @ 03:13 hours, I can assure you that you will goto whatever level of training you have(or level of incompetence if no training). The only thing that was going through my mind in those few seconds was "FRONT SIGHT!!!", "FRONT SIGHT!!!", "WATCH THE FRONT SIGHT!!!" Afterwards when I stopped shaking, I realized how many mistakes I had made and survived only through the grace of G*D.

That is why I have an AirSoft pistol and practice in my house.

Training > a bunch of safe queens.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I think it took a lot of courage for him to admit his mistake, to tell everyone else about it and then to change it by training.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for posting this.   Should be required reading.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top