Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2009 11:04:04 AM EDT
i know i will catch plenty of flak for this topic, but what makes Mr. Costa such an expert in combat? his resume is not all that impressive in my opinion. the u.s. coast guard is probably the last branch i think of when it comes to combat operations. just curious as to where his small arms expertise and techniques originated. flame on!

"Chris Costa | President & Director of Training
Chris Costa spent 7 years in the private sector at Applied Marine Technologies Inc. and Linxx on assignment with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Risk Management Division (RMD). At AMTI and Linxx, Costa specialized in Chemical, Nuclear, Biological and Radiological environments teaching Police Tactical Operations in CBRNE (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear or High Explosive) environments and providing Red Team Vulnerability Assessments on critical infrastructures for the US Government.

Prior to this, Mr. Costa spent 12 years with the United States Coast Guard, conducting law enforcement and special operations missions in Europe, the Middle East, and South America."
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Just look up USCG TACLET.  It's similar to a USMC FAST company.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
what makes obama qualified to be president....

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

lol...i can't touch that one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

thanks! that explains it some.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Chris is a great instructor who understands the techniques he shares, the context for their use and, most importantly, how to share them with others.

As to the underlying point of your question: I'd suggest you check out the lengthy thread on whether or not direct experience is necessary to be qualified instructor.

-RJP
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a course with him and you won't ask such questions.

If, like many, you can keep your shit straight while someone is shooting at you, defaulting to skills learned in training with Costa and his instructors will increase your chances of survival dramatically.

What else do you need to know? Body count?  Number of deaths caused by abrasions by coming near his beard?

ETA: as others have said, he is a great teacher. and I have retained much of the material taught.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a class with Chris and you will understand how wrong your assumptions are.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
You're not familiar with LEDETs are you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Combat experience isn't necessary to be a good firearms and tactics instructor.  What is necessary is knowledge and the ability to effectively pass it on to others.

Instructors I've trained with that have been on the "two-way range" don't take about it to validate their credentials; they talk about how long they've spent learning how to be a good instructor.

(haven't trained w/Costa; just my observation from various .mil and civilian classes)
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
You can be the "Best of the Best" in any subject matter. If you can not disseminate your knowledge through teaching, than who cares what your resume' says. That being said, look at the golf professional, Tiger Woods. Tiger gets lessons... yet he IS the BEST!!!   None of Tigers "teachers" ever won a "Major" on tour, or ever played on tour. You would think that would be a requirement.
     I am an instructor in firearms and general topics (LEO), with more schools than I could even count.... I have watched Art of the Tactical Carbine 2. In my experience, Chris Costa is probably one of the most inspiring, motivating teachers that I have seen, not to mention his command of the subject matter. I know it is only a video, but I was REALLY impressed. I would love to actually participate in one of his classes myself.
    Chris Costa is NOT the best... There is always someone better out there. But I can tell you this... He is better than me with an AR.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Take a class with Chris and you will understand how wrong your assumptions are.

This... You'll hear plenty of back story during three days of excellent training!

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
 I think the people answering the questions in this thread with  a bunch of capital letters bunched together don’t know either.

I don't know about him in particular, but I have deployed to sandy places with LEDETs, so I do know what they do, how they train and what they are capable of.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don’t think the OP has any question if the quality of the instruction, just where did Costa and his beard come from?  I still don’t understand why everyone gets so upset whenever anyone asks about Costa.  I have never heard a bad thing said about the guy, but no one seems to know where he came from, or what he did to get the reputation he has today.  I’m sure its well deserved, but out of natural curiosity people just want to know.

Costas bio is pretty cryptic and non descriptive, to 99% of the public.  I’ve asked well known and respected instructors about him, and they don’t know who he is either.   I think the people answering the questions in this thread with  a bunch of capital letters bunched together don’t know either.  No one would ever start a thread like this about Travis, because everyone knows his story.  People like back stories.

Bigbore, that is where he came from.  But it is a bit cryptic sense no one really hears about the TACLET guys much.  I agree with the rest of your post though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
yea...i had never heard of LEDET either. i do not doubt that he is qualified, i was just curious what his experience was. i knew it had to be more than the vague blip on the magpul site. i would to take one of his courses.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:39:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know the guy and have never trained under him.  I have watched his videos and I would say that he knows what he's talking about and appears to me to be a good instructor.  

Combat and HSLD experience is NOT a requirement to be a good teacher.  

As far as his CG experience, I have no idea what he's gone through but the CG actually has some pretty good LE skills training.  He probably didn't get training from the CG on how to do combined arms with the full weapons available to an infantry battalion but then that's not what he's teaching either.  So knowing that stuff, simply isn't needed for the stuff that he's teaching.

I've known a few very experienced and HSLD guys who know a lot but make SHITTY instructors.  

I do kind of laugh about his various "highspeed" sounding terms for weapons but if that's his biggest flaw, that's not a big deal.  I'd take training from him.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I an not an expert or a trigger pulled or anything but a low end hobbyist really, so take this all for what it is worth.

I don't think it matters. The guy teaches how to use firearms.  He does this well from what I have heard and seen in videos. What he teaches is not anything special and is generally covered by just about anyone else that teaches this stuff. The real magic is how he teaches it. You can't get that from having a bunch of letters after your name or a plaque on the wall.

I have not been able to take any courses in a long time, but I know I can watch the Magpul vids over and over. I have another video from another outfit that I cannot watch because the instructor is a fucking doofus who likes to use fancy trade words he made up for everything. I just want to throw something at the screen after 2 minutes.

Any monkey can show you how to tap rack bang. Fewer can tell you why it is done. Very few can tell you everything once and have it stick to the point of becoming almost muscle memory.  The MD guys do that while at the same time treating their students respectfully.

Not everything done or used by them I agree with but they are not trying to make you fit a mold.

I respect the MD guys for what they do and how they do it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:11:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have watched the MagPul Dynamics DVDs, and I changed the way I do some things because of it.
Not that I was doing it wrong, just that I thought their way was better.  But by the same token, I did not change
to their way on other things, as I thought the way I do them way more effective for me.  I also ADDED their way to
my carbine "toolbox" to make myself more effective.  This is what it is all about when trying to be an effective carbine
end user.  It is all about how many tools one can have in their toolbox to be able to effectively operate their weapon under
stress in many different situations.

In regards to his resume', I could care less about what certificates he has hanging on his wall, or what he did or did not
do in the military or private sector.  Bottom line is, he is a competent instructor, and is very skilled in the subject matter that
he teaches.  

Regards,

Scott
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

FAST job is the as deploy-able element of Marine Security Forces.   MCSF job in general to guard things of high value, nothing wrong with the job but most people think it is much higher speed than it actually is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He’s a 1988 West Point Graduate, Army  Ranger 2/75, been there and done that in Panama,   Somalia, Central America, and had the good judgment to make his friend Randy Shughart a Platoon Leader in his company.  After leaving the Army he’s worked with various Private Security firms in Irag. He has never been featured in a DVD, but I did see him on CNN standing Next to Condi Rice a couple years ago.

No one would question or doubt his resume, because its all things that we know and understand what the they mean and how they would apply to firearms instruction.

If someone would actually explain what Costa’s resume means in terms of actual job descriptions, it would be great.   Am I making sense or just throwing gas on the fire?  

Operations in Panama was in Dec of 1989, a West Point grad of the class of 88 would more than likely still be in his line unit tour to qualify to go to the Ranger Battalions.  So he would have probably have been in a line unit and not with 2/75 at the time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i know i will catch plenty of flak for this topic, but what makes Mr. Costa such an expert in combat? his resume is not all that impressive in my opinion. the u.s. coast guard is probably the last branch i think of when it comes to combat operations. just curious as to where his small arms expertise and techniques originated. flame on!

There seems to be this idea out there that somebody had to go through Blackhawk Down or they don't know anything.

That's a pretty fuckin' goofy idea.

+1

Charley Lau, in his 10+ years as a major league player, amassed the following lifetime statistics:

Career Batting Average = .255, Career HRs = 16, Career RBIs = 140

Most good hitters can do better in ONE season.

Yet he is considered one the greatest Batting instructors of all time.

Just because one has not "been there, done that". Does not mean they cannot teach it.

And about the Coast Guard - they probably do more CQB operations than any other group I know of.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAST job is the as deploy-able element of Marine Security Forces.   MCSF job in general to guard things of high value, nothing wrong with the job but most people think it is much higher speed than it actually is.

They've closed down most of the MCSF Companies and converted them to FAST.  I was the last out of the MCSF Iceland and the company was re-designated 3rd FAST out of Williamsburg for a spell then Norfolk.  You're right though, one of the jokes we used to say is FAST stands for Fake Ass SEAL Team.  But after getting to the Fleet I found that FAST training is a lot more high speed than at the Fleet level.  You get more individual training and focus a lot more on CQB/MOUT in FAST.  It really depends upon which FAST company you go to and what work ups your Plt has completed that makes you qualified for some missions.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've closed down most of the MCSF Companies and converted them to FAST.  I was the last out of the MCSF Iceland and the company was re-designated 3rd FAST out of Williamsburg for a spell then Norfolk.  You're right though, one of the jokes we used to say is FAST stands for Fake Ass SEAL Team.  But after getting to the Fleet I found that FAST training is a lot more high speed than at the Fleet level.  You get more individual training and focus a lot more on CQB/MOUT in FAST.  It really depends upon which FAST company you go to and what work ups your Plt has completed that makes you qualified for some missions.

Your absolutely correct, Pre-OIF II FAST and MCSFC  (now it CBIRF, and MSG is under the MCSF-Regiment) was much higher speed than the fleet.  Now it is almost inverted, because of the open coffers of OCO funds and 8 years or combat experience.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I think the people answering the questions in this thread with  a bunch of capital letters bunched together don’t know either.

I don't know about him in particular, but I have deployed to sandy places with LEDETs, so I do know what they do, how they train and what they are capable of.

Before reading this thread I never heard of a LEDET.  Seems like the DEA branch of the Coast Guards MP/SWAT team, more for law enforcement tasks than military missions.  I know ICE agents that fit the "tactical" bill more than expected(meaning I can understand there being more to LEDET). I unofficially know of ICE teams "eliminating" roving street gangs in NOLA after Katrina.  Are ICE and TACLET similar?  

http://www.uscg.mil/History/articles/LEDET_History.asp

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/dot/ledet-pac.htm

Their official Coast Guard description is pretty boring.  I have friends in the Coast Guard in a Key West and Corpus Christi, who meet the description in the links.  I'll have to drop an emial and see if either of them are LEDETS. They are trained with M9s, M240s, M2s, and shotguns.  From what they say, their job is following drug runners for several hours  before they get permission to fire on then  board the boat.

Like I said. I worked with them. I worked with LEDETs or TACLETs or whatever the USCG wants to call them from San Diego, the Miami area and from Norfolk. They all did some hellacious deployment rotations from South America/Caribbean , to their homeport, to 5th Fleet, to their homeport and back to South America again. When they were in homeport they'd often be called on to board drug runners and not all druggies like to give up without a fight.

While all Coasties do boardings, not all Coasties do high risk boardings. When I was in 5th Fleet with them they boarded oil smugglers and arms smugglers. Basically, they were there to do boardings the regular Navy couldn't or wouldn't do and with the SEALs too busy ashore to be called on the LEDETs filled in. In 2004, it was a LEDET and some PC Sailors that, without training, went ashore to seize a weapons cache they discovered. A ballsy move considering they didn't have comms with the Navy SEALs, the Marines nor the British and Aussies in the area. They could have as easily been killed by friendlies as the Iraqis.

Several years ago the USCG decided to take people from those DETs and train them up even further. I served with some of the guys who formed the core of the new unit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your absolutely correct, Pre-OIF II FAST and MCSFC  (now it CBIRF, and MSG is under the MCSF-Regiment) was much higher speed than the fleet.  Now it is almost inverted, because of the open coffers of OCO funds and 8 years or combat experience.

The thing that always got me was that the NCOs and Officers who were in charge of you were not trained 0300's.  They were supply, motor T POGS.  Then they come to us jr enlisted guys who have been through all the formal schools and try to tell us how shit is done.  I've had several 0800 arty NCO's fuck up just basic patrolling and land nav.  The whole reason was for some reenlisting, Security Forces was a enlistment bonus given Corps wide.

A lot changed after OIF though.  You still get to go to schools and have training opportunities you would never get in the fleet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have personally seen CG here in Iraq.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#31]
If you really want to know Costa's back story, how he learned his technique, and get a much better idea of how he got to where he got, the easiest way is to take a class with him and politely ask him how he got involved with Magpul Dynamics.

During dinner after the training, I got the opportunity to ask him those questions, and he told me how he got where he got....how the technique evolved, etc.

Can I tell you first hand he knows what the hell he is doing?  Yes.  Anyone who can cover their pistol sights with tape and point shoot 3-4 rounds on the head of an IPSC target and group them in a 3-4 inch circle has alot of trigger time.  He did things with a carbine that honestly I didn't think were possible.  He is an excellent instructor and a very down to earth guy.  If you want specifics, then train with him and ask him.  Wouldn't be my place to post details of a coversation that took place, so don't ask.  

Can I tell you his body count?  Absolutely not.  I would never be so disrespectful to ask such a question from someone who has served in the capacity that he has.  A few very good friends of mine who have served have talked to me about that after knowing them for a few years and having a few beers, but frankly that is nobody's business nor do I feel its a topic that needs to even be brought up when it comes to one's ability to instruct.  

All I can tell you is that if the SHTF and I needed someone to pull a trigger to save my ass, Costa's name would probably pop up first.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So have I and FAST also, however that doesn't mean they are doing allot of shooting people.  I am just pointing out that if you comparing them to FAST that, really doesn't mean a whole lot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:38:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So have I and FAST also, however that doesn't mean they are doing allot of shooting people.  I am just pointing out that if you comparing them to FAST that, really doesn't mean a whole lot.

We're talking about training, not so much two way range experience.  OP wanted to know what Costa has gone through to get where he is.  TACLET/LEDET is just one of them.  I made the comparison of FAST in training cycles and in some cases tactics.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

During dinner after the training, I got the opportunity to ask him those questions, and he told me how he got where he got....how the technique evolved, etc.

If you want specifics, then train with him and ask him.  Wouldn't be my place to post details of a coversation that took place, so don't ask.  

why wouldn't it be your place to post some of the details of "your" conversation? they were your questions according to you. you sound full of it to me if you can't answer anything relating to this topic.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want specifics, then train with him and ask him.  Wouldn't be my place to post details of a coversation that took place, so don't ask.  

why wouldn't it be your place to post some of the details of "your" conversation? they were your questions according to you. you sound full of it to me if you can't answer anything relating to this topic.

Because I don't post up conversations that took place in person online without the other persons consent- if he hasn't posted it about himself online, why in the fuck would I?  I gave my opinion based on taking the class, and my conversation with him.  If thats a problem for you, feel free to FOAD.

If you'd read the rest of my post, you'd see I did answer some questions in your post.  You know his AR15.com name.  If you want to call people out and you want answers, why don't you send him a PM and ask him?  

Yeah.  Didn't think so.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I don't post up conversations that took place in person online without the other persons consent- if he hasn't posted it about himself online, why in the fuck would I?  I gave my opinion based on taking the class, and my conversation with him.  If thats a problem for you, feel free to FOAD.

If you'd read the rest of my post, you'd see I did answer some questions in your post.  You know his AR15.com name.  If you want to call people out and you want answers, why don't you send him a PM and ask him?  

Yeah.  Didn't think so.

why don't you calm the hell down moron! you are full of shit and just proved it by exploding for no reason. i bet you were a SEAL too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#38]
please LOCK this thread. it's only going to turn into a shouting match.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am just going to point out to you that you are the one being the prick here.  If you do not think so go back and re read your post and read them like someone else wrote them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am just going to point out to you that you are the one being the prick here.  If you do not think so go back and re read your post and read them like someone else wrote them.

if you say so, but he contributed nothing. he basically said he got all of the questions i asked answered, but he won't say what they are. to me that's a red flag of BS. to each his own. his advice is take the class and ask yourself. wow really?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you say so, but he contributed nothing. he basically said he got all of the questions i asked answered, but he won't say what they are. to me that's a red flag of BS. to each his own. his advice is take the class and ask yourself. wow really?

He tried to tell you as much as he could with betraying trust of someone he obviously respects.  You can chose to take or leave what he says, your descision to call BS on him was innapropriate considering the forum and the situation.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He tried to tell you as much as he could with betraying trust of someone he obviously respects.  You can chose to take or leave what he says, your descision to call BS on him was innapropriate considering the forum and the situation.  Just my opinion.

i guess i missed that then. i did not see one single item in his post that helped answer anything except for his advice to take his course and ask him myself. hell others on here have explained much more. his decision to throw a nugget out there and then not elaborate on anything is a sign of BS. if i get on here and throw out some technical terms and some Navy SEAL rhetoric, does that mean i'm a SEAL and i know what i'm talking about? again...i ask this thread to be locked.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Haha!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i guess i missed that then. i did not see one single item in his post that helped answer anything except for his advice to take his course and ask him myself. hell others on here have explained much more. his decision to throw a nugget out there and then not elaborate on anything is a sign of BS. if i get on here and throw out some technical terms and some Navy SEAL rhetoric, does that mean i'm a SEAL and i know what i'm talking about? again...i ask this thread to be locked.

My contribution is this.

Based on what I have found out about him by TRAINING WITH HIM, I believe he is more than qualified to teach a class on how to put threats down.  Again, this is an internet forum.  Not a scientific journal.  You're going to get opinion, and that is mine.  

What technical term did I throw out, or information did I say that would lead you to believe I'm a SEAL that could possibly justify your response?

Would you feel better if I had 2-3 other ARFCOMMERS who were present for the dinner chime in and let you know you're way out of line for calling BS on me?  Its not really worth the effort, but sometimes its fun to watch people eat crow, and Im just about to that point with you.  I tend to react when I get called out in a childish manner when I'm trying to be helpful.  If you'd have taken the time to read my post instead of focusing on the fact that I'm not going to post a transcript of a conversation between me and someone else on the internet, maybe you'd have realized this.  I gave my opinion based on what I saw.  My opinion will not change, and you're more than welcomed to believe it, or dismiss it.  But next time, do it with a bit more class instead of behaving like a child.  If I were you, I'd want this locked too.

Grow up.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My contribution is this.

Based on what I have found out about him by TRAINING WITH HIM, I believe he is more than qualified to teach a class on how to put threats down.  Again, this is an internet forum.  Not a scientific journal.  You're going to get opinion, and that is mine.  

What technical term did I throw out, or information did I say that would lead you to believe I'm a SEAL that could possibly justify your response?

Would you feel better if I had 2-3 other ARFCOMMERS who were present for the dinner chime in and let you know you're way out of line for calling BS on me?  Its not really worth the effort, but sometimes its fun to watch people eat crow, and Im just about to that point with you.  I tend to react when I get called out in a childish manner when I'm trying to be helpful.  If you'd have taken the time to read my post instead of focusing on the fact that I'm not going to post a transcript of a conversation between me and someone else on the internet, maybe you'd have realized this.  I gave my opinion based on what I saw.  My opinion will not change, and you're more than welcomed to believe it, or dismiss it.  But next time, do it with a bit more class instead of behaving like a child.  If I were you, I'd want this locked too.

Grow up.

Yeah he's being a whiner and this thread was stupid in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This thread was pretty informative for a while. I learned some new stuff and did a bunch of research on LEDET.  LEDET isnt listed in Costa's bio, but it still neat to look into.

What I've taken away about LEDET is

It's a CG Law Enforcement Detachment that deploys on Navy ships. They mostly try to interdict drug and migrant trafficking on the high seas. The Navy doesn't have any LE authority but the CG can enforce Customs laws. The navy has the money and assets (guns/training) and the CG has the knowledge to catch smugglers.

I know there are MANY people who wonder about Costa's background, not because they doubt his ability in any way, but because they want to know were he learned all that stuff.  

I think the bio info is left vague intentionally because nothing will match the mythical internet status that the DVD propelled him to and its better to just let people assume.

Agreed.  

I met a former Navy sailor a while back; he did some drug interdiction stuff with the Coast Guard.  What they did sounded like what you described.  The guy actually got shot one night during an interdiction.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I have spent a bit of time talking to Costa and have taken a few courses with Magpul Dynamics.

As a Marine and a Combat veteran, I am always interested in hearing the real world experiences of the instructors that I train with and learn from.  If you ask Costa about his background he will tell you about it without batting an eye.  He is very laid back about it and displays no ego about his background.

From what I gather, Chris IS a "combat veteran" in so much as he has been deployed downrange and has traded shots with bad guys.  Whether as a VBSS guy, or performing counter Drug/Counter Terror operations.  I know he has been all over the world in these capacities and that it has gotten a little sporty at times.  That's what I gather anyway, and that's good enough for me.  

Honestly, Chris Costa knows his business.  He is a damn good shooter, a great instructor/teacher, and just a bottom line Good Motherfucker.  If I had to take a crew downrange to play full contact on the no holds barred, big boy rules, winner take all 2 way range, then Chris Costa would make the cut every time and I'd be proud to have him as my battle buddy.  

If you are so concerned about Costa's bio, why don't you take one of his classes then compare the importance of what you learned and took away from it with the importance of his vague bio on the MD website.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My contribution is this.

Grow up.

I was one of those guys present.  I hosted said class and have had quite a few conversations with the man.  Marksman speaks the truth.  Chris is more than qualified to teach and his background is extensive.  The best way to find out is to take a class.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My contribution is this.

Grow up.

I was one of those guys present.  I hosted said class and have had quite a few conversations with the man.  Marksman speaks the truth.  Chris is more than qualified to teach and his background is extensive.  The best way to find out is to take a class.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top